Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Outlook doesn't have the one thing we said we wanted in the next vehicle - built in DVD. We haev a 9" TV/DVD combo that we take along and strap in, but we want a built in solution. Since we have 3 kids and the middle bench, we're thinking the headrest systems aren't the best choise, so I want to go with an overhead unit. Anyone done this and have feedback on what brand and model?

GM sells an overhead unit that's also removable for use in the house. Don't know the brand, but http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=804500&siteid=215558&catalogid=4887"]check it out here[/url]. It's available at GM parts direct for just over $700, which seems like a deal if it's any good. The only downside might be the screen blocking the rear view. Any experience with that unit?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the factory overhead DVD in my 07 Acadia and it does block some of the rear view. IMO; I would go with the headrest system although I see why you are considering the overhead solution. There is plenty of talk about this on the Acadia forum if you want to head over there. You can always view the threads there if you don't want to become a member

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I've have/had both and like the headrest the best. The kind I have now is Advent by Audiovox and are touch screen. They can play different movies and have 40 games built in.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have the second row bench and 3 kids. I asked the oldest if she could see a screen in the headrest from the third row and she said no. Not sure I believe her, she may just prefer a roof top solution.

I'm pretty finicky about sight lines when I drive, so I'm not sure I can live with a flip down if it's going to block my view. Then again, the headrest models are significantly more $$.

Oh, and gmpartsdirect.com says that overhead unit isn't compatible with my VIN, but they didn't say why.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
salguod said:
We have the second row bench and 3 kids. I asked the oldest if she could see a screen in the headrest from the third row and she said no. Not sure I believe her, she may just prefer a roof top solution.

I'm pretty finicky about sight lines when I drive, so I'm not sure I can live with a flip down if it's going to block my view. Then again, the headrest models are significantly more $$.

Oh, and gmpartsdirect.com says that overhead unit isn't compatible with my VIN, but they didn't say why.
If I had to do it all over again I would go to Best Buy and buy each kid a $80.00 personal DVD player......$320.00 vs $2000.00 Oh well :beer:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what my wife said. :-\

1 - 6 of 6 Posts