Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2007 Saturn Outlook that has decided to throw some alerts...

Service Stabilitrak/traction control off

I sent my son to the auto parts store and he came back with codes

P0171 and P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1&2

From researching, it looks like since both bank 1&2 are affected, it could be a vacuum leak issue with a gasket or a seal of some sort (yes, I'm looking for the very easiest & cheapest). We are going to find a cigar smoker willing to blow smoke into the engine...

What I do not understand though, is how do these codes affect the stabilitrak or traction control off?

thank you!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Lots of codes will set the stabilitrack message...
many make you question- what do they have to do with Stabilitrack?

But thats the way GM did it....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the TB replaced on my 08 Outlook under the Extended Coverage about a month ago by a dealership here in Richmond, VA

I had gotten the "limp mode" warnings (Engine Power Reduced / Service Stabilitrack / Service Traction Control).

I had it towed to the dealer, they confirmed it was throwing codes P0171 and P0300.

P0300 is multiple cylinder misfire, no specific cylinder. I read that for that code to activate the ECM had to detect 400+ misfires.

Anyway the TB was replaced at no charge, but they advised me it needed spark plugs and the lower intake manifold replaced.

They quoted me $700+

MY wife had been driving the car for several weeks with no major symptoms though she stated it "ran rough" occasionally.

I ordered the parts from RockAuto (OEM Delco Iridium plugs and FelPro gasket set for +/- $60) and replaced them yesterday.

I followed one of the better write ups ("Blue's Plain English Spark Plug Change for the GMC Acadia") and it was fairly accurate, though my manifold bolts were in slightly different locations and I had a few more electrical / vacuum connections to D/C (his is an 09 Acadia, mine is an 08 Outlook).

Plugs were easy once I got the intake off (which was a PITA), but putting it back on was an absolute terror.

Several write ups including Blue's indicate that replacing the upper gasket is not necessary and I noted that there was not one on the manifold when I pulled it off.

I beat the **** out of the lower gaskets trying to get it back on.

When I finally did and got everything reconnected and started the engine I got all the "limp mode" warnings again.

I am a dumbarse and neglected to D/C the battery before I started the work, so I D/C'ed it hopefully to allow the ECM to reset.

I won't get back to it until tomorrow morning due to work, but I hope that solves the problem.

Has anyone else done this job and replaced BOTH gaskets?

Or have any tips on putting that manifold back on without mangling the lower gaskets?

·
Registered
214 Posts
For future reference, here is the free download link for the factory service manual. It says 2008-2010 Enclave, but your 2007 Saturn will be included in many of the files.

https://mega.nz/#!zlFDEIJZ!lhEvdcmJL895CqO3HHkWfb1_8lGKFRajYnKT9Uac1i8

·
Registered
754 Posts
being a 2008- Im not sure what 2 gaskets...

I have a 2010 (09s and up are Direct Injection) and have 1 manifold gasket.

But you dont need to disconnect battery for spark plugs or throttle body etc.
Just make sure that the key is OUT of the ignition. so the tb is not powered etc.

Make sure all plugs are reconnected like the MAF etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts