Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Outlook and my passenger airbag sensor will not detect if someone is sitting in the seat. Tried everything the manual suggest but nothing is working. Going to the dealer in th AM. In 2007 GM recalled only a few vehicles with this problem (WHY NOT ALL OF THEM)? Now GM is having a problem with 2005-2007 Cadi CTS where the sensor is not working. Same GM problem with 2007 Pontiac G6. Is anyone else having this problem? Please look at your passenger airbag indicator each time someone sits in your front seat. If it shows "off" then you may have a problem. GM PLEASE do the right thing and recall all of the vehicles with this seatbelt sensor issue. I'll keep you all posted on what the dealer says.

·
Registered
201 Posts
notsohappy said:
...In 2007 GM recalled only a few vehicles with this problem (WHY NOT ALL OF THEM)?...
The recall may not apply to all models or units produced, you then end up with a recall that has "VIN breaks". The recall would apply only to those who have a VIN number within the affected VIN range(s). One possible reason for this is the same batch of parts doesn't go into every vehicle produced, if a bad batch of parts is received from a supplier in the assembly process, this could cause a given vehicle to be affected by a recall later on in life. Similarly a change may have occurred in the manufacturing process mid-run for a given MY vehicle. Redesigned parts, software updates released to production, etc. So there's many reasons as to why not all of them would be recalled.

Hopefully your issue gets straightened out. Please post back with the results of your visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would have to agree with the previous post that it is possible that this recall had VIN breaks which did not cover your vehicle. However, I would recommend contacting your local dealership for more assistance. Please keep us updated. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
WE have had the same problem, works sometimes and other times it doesn't. Have had it checked in GM service dept and they did find something with the sensor wiring BUT it still isn't working properly. So now I worry when my children or even an adult is in the seat, wondering if it would work properly if I got into an accident.
I have had nothing but a ton of issues with Saturn 08 Outlook. I think I got the lemon.
Dealing with the brake/stability lights now keep coming on due to low break fluid they are saying. Have topped it off 2x's in 1 month now...seems odd but the service dept doesn't seem to think so.

Good luck! I'm hoping for new car in the near future.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just purchased 2008 xr last week and I'm having the same issues with the passenger airbag. I have a service appointment for Tuesday. Just hope this is not a recurring problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I had mine done and the dealer installed some sort of clip under the seat and it's been working for about 5 months now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well just got the phone with the GM service tech and he said that he wasn't able to recreate the air bag sensor light to go off. I told him that it depends on the weight of the passenger. My wife is 125 pounds and the air bag is deactivated when she's the passenger. Wasn't there a recall on the sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
396 Posts
geoff1988 said:
My wife is 125 pounds and the air bag is deactivated when she's the passenger.
My 2 teenage daughters are lighter and they don't trip the airbag off. The 12 YO is under 60 lbs (she's a feather weight) and it turns off for her. Maybe take your wife in and show them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The GM service tech refused to replace the sensor today as we could not replicate the "off" airbag light to go on in the parking lot. I guess I need to try another dealer ( any suggestions in Monmouth County, NJ?) Pretty silly considering that the car was already recalled and fixed for the same problem last year. The car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
geoff1988 said:
I just purchased 2008 xr last week and I'm having the same issues with the passenger airbag. I have a service appointment for Tuesday. Just hope this is not a recurring problem. I'll let you know how it goes.
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. Please feel free to contact me via private message with your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name. I will then be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
geoff1988 said:
The GM service tech refused to replace the sensor today as we could not replicate the "off" airbag light to go on in the parking lot. I guess I need to try another dealer ( any suggestions in Monmouth County, NJ?) Pretty silly considering that the car was already recalled and fixed for the same problem last year. The car is still under the bumper to bumper warranty as well.
Different dealer time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
geoff1988 said:
Tricia,

Thanks so much for your help! I sent you the personal information as requested.
Thanks Tricia my airbag sensor was replaced yesterday and seems to be working fine. Russell at All American Chevrolet here in Middletown, NJ was awesome working with GM and Saturn on resolving the issue. I would highly recommend servicing your Saturn there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need help but it seems as if I'm not the only one having a "Air bag sensor" issue that intermittently not working on my 2008 Saturn Outlook and there is not known pattern to get it to turn on when you have a passenger in the front. After dealing with the "service air bag" warning and the switch not turning on, I called my local dlr and they "updated my computer parameters and said it was working (I really think that was a line of crap to justify billing me $100.00 to scan the computer). Just as soon as we got the car back it right out of the gate was not working. When I asked how much to fix the issue if it ended up coming to that I about passed out, it was OVER $1000.00, my reaction was word for word "are you kidding me"! Later that week I then noticed the interior lights were not coming on when the doors were opened or if I unlocked the doors.

GM please help a loyal customer stay loyal!!!!
Melissa, Idaho

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had the same issues, both with the connector under the seat and the sensor itself. Fortunately for me it happened while my Outlook was still in bumper to bumper warranty. My sympathies to your situation.

I'd suggest calmly escalating to GM as a safety issue (which it is) and see if you get anywhere.

You might want to also report this on the NHTSA web site. If enough people report something thats a safety issue, the NHTSA may force a mandatory recall.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Smalfry08 said:
Later that week I then noticed the interior lights were not coming on when the doors were opened or if I unlocked the doors.

GM please help a loyal customer stay loyal!!!!
Melissa, Idaho
While they worked on your car- they probably turned off the overhead lamps.
Many people are actually unaware- the button im touching- will turn on/off the overhead lamps- try pushing it in/out to get your lamps back,

Also- I cant remember which model year- but some received an extended warranty- I think to 120,000 for the airbag sensor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts