Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another somewhat common problem on these vehicles. I had a ton of fluid leaking on the driveway one day and after some detective work under the car with a flashlight, found the seal where the passenger side driveshaft goes into the transaxle leaking like crazy. Dropped at dealer as the repair calls for some special tools. Was delighted to get a call back that the entire repair - parts & labor - was only around $160. Cheap fix for something that can ruin your differential.

This is an AWD, but I assume it would be the same on FWD.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
vwtodd said:
Another somewhat common problem on these vehicles. I had a ton of fluid leaking on the driveway one day and after some detective work under the car with a flashlight, found the seal where the passenger side driveshaft goes into the transaxle leaking like crazy. Dropped at dealer as the repair calls for some special tools. Was delighted to get a call back that the entire repair - parts & labor - was only around $160. Cheap fix for something that can ruin your differential.

This is an AWD, but I assume it would be the same on FWD.

***UPDATE***

Well, that was too good to last. Dealer called back and said after they got the drive shaft off and inspected further, it was the bearing inside the transfer case that went bad, causing the outer seal to leak. Bearing replacement requires removal and opening of the transfer case - almost 7 hours of labor.

This car is my swan song before going full electric. More money spent on non-maintenance repairs than all other vehicles combined.

Hello Tesla.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the $128,000 Tesla I Heard about on the radio this morning?

·
Registered
214 Posts
No power train warranty left? You don't have your year listed so I don't know if you are over 100000 miles or past the 5 years of in service. If not, this would be covered by the warranty.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ls973800 said:
No power train warranty left? You don't have your year listed so I don't know if you are over 100000 miles or past the 5 years of in service. If not, this would be covered by the warranty.
Almost 132k miles, so no warranty. Just got the car back. About $700, mostly labor. Had to drop the differential and disassemble it to replace the bearing. Also required taking off rear bank cat and exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts