Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been watching the Enclave/Outlook/Acadias for a while and am a big fan (who doesn't love the 7 passenger config in these things, really?). It's new (used) car time for us, and I'm pretty sure that I've found the Lambda that my wife will be driving. It's a GM Certified 09 Outlook XR FWD with 59k. Before I buy, I had some questions for the community:

1. The sunroof issue seems to be prevalent with the 07 and 08, what about 09?

2. What other issues are common to the 09 that I should watch out for?

3. Is there anyone out there that could run the GMVIS report for me? Do you think the Dealership would do it for me if I ask?

4. What are the little nagging issues with the Outlook (or specifically 09) that nobody talks about? My in-laws have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited and it's fantastic, but there's a piece of hard plastic on the door that shatters your kneecap almost every time you climb in or out. Things like that. :)

5. Has anyone added an OEM navigation unit to their non-nav Outlook that has rear-DVD? I see the antenna and units on eBay and elsewhere and would certainly add it if I can find one under $500.

Thanks in advance for all of the informative information. What a great site.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
nomayo said:
I've been watching the Enclave/Outlook/Acadias for a while and am a big fan (who doesn't love the 7 passenger config in these things, really?). It's new (used) car time for us, and I'm pretty sure that I've found the Lambda that my wife will be driving. It's a GM Certified 09 Outlook XR FWD with 59k. Before I buy, I had some questions for the community:

1. The sunroof issue seems to be prevalent with the 07 and 08, what about 09? I would still avoid any sunroof in either of these[/color]

2. What other issues are common to the 09 that I should watch out for? Hopefully others can help you with this one. [/color]

3. Is there anyone out there that could run the GMVIS report for me? Do you think the Dealership would do it for me if I ask? YES if they do not ask them why and then if they still won't just say that you guess there is something to hide or they don't want to make a sale[/color]

4. What are the little nagging issues with the Outlook (or specifically 09) that nobody talks about? My in-laws have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited and it's fantastic, but there's a piece of hard plastic on the door that shatters your kneecap almost every time you climb in or out. Things like that. :) I loved my 07 Outlook and had no real nagging issues, not counting the sunroof leaks and yea the timing chain. I still loved it yet I traded for the 11 Enclave.[/color]

5. Has anyone added an OEM navigation unit to their non-nav Outlook that has rear-DVD? I see the antenna and units on eBay and elsewhere and would certainly add it if I can find one under $500. There is a member on the Enclaveforum who did. Probably over here as well. I had one on the Outlook but opted to not get one in the Enclave and use a Garmin instead.[/color]

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I believe the biggest concern with an 09 model is the timing chain issue. Stretched timing chains appear on the 09 models more than any other years. The reason is unknown, but some think it may have been a quality control issue at the time with the manufacturer of the chains.

Oil changes should not be extended (some believe no more than 5000 miles) and there is a software update being done to the OLM to shorten the interval between oil changes. GM believes this will prevent many of the timing chain issues.

If the chains have to be replaced, it is a big job and involves the removal of the engine. The chains are covered under the 5 year, 100000 mile powertrain warranty.

Water pump failure is also very common on the Lambda models up to at least the 2010 model years. It can fail at any time or mileage. There is a new design pump which is installed if the original has to be replaced. Water pumps are covered under the powertrain warranty.

One other known issue with the lambda models is the wave plate in the transmission. This is a weak point and has caused many failures in the transmissions. This repair is covered under the power train warranty.

I would not even consider this vehicle unless you can see the GMVIS report. This will give you an indication of the repair history, which is very important on any lambda used vehicle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
nomayo said:

1. The sunroof issue seems to be prevalent with the 07 and 08, what about 09?

2. What other issues are common to the 09 that I should watch out for?

3. Is there anyone out there that could run the GMVIS report for me? Do you think the Dealership would do it for me if I ask?

4. What are the little nagging issues with the Outlook (or specifically 09) that nobody talks about? My in-laws have a Jeep Wrangler unlimited and it's fantastic, but there's a piece of hard plastic on the door that shatters your kneecap almost every time you climb in or out. Things like that. :)

5. Has anyone added an OEM navigation unit to their non-nav Outlook that has rear-DVD? I see the antenna and units on eBay and elsewhere and would certainly add it if I can find one under $500.

You should be able to get the service history from the dealership. If you have a difficult time obtaining this, you can get the VIN and seek this information from another General Motors dealer.

I hope you fully enjoy your new Outlook.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the info. I asked the salesperson yesterday and he said he'd get it from service today. The salesperson, finance guy and everyone else I have encountered at the dealership has been really helpful and forthcoming with info, so I don't expect any issues. I've never been this excited to pick up a new car before (and I'm trading my BMW in on it).

If they're changing the map to force oil changes every 5000 miles, I hope the 2yr CPO maintenance program still covers the more frequent oil changes...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I don't think the GM certified program covers maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
salguod said:
I don't think the GM certified program covers maintenance.
This is what I'm referring to:

www(dot)gmcertified(dot)com/used-car-maintenance-plan

I can't post links. :(

·
Registered
396 Posts
Interesting, my CPO didn't include that. Wonder when that started.

It says based on the OLM, so if the OLM programming is revised to shorten the intervals, you should be good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did it. My wife is the proud new owner of a certified '09 XR. It did come with the CPO maintenance package which is fantastic. We're taking it on vacation to the beach this weekend, and the kids are already stoked about the rear DVD and all of the room the 7 passenger config affords them.

Thanks for the answers and support. Now I just need to figure out how we can afford another one for me. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congratulations on the "new" car! Hope things work out for you and you have many years of trouble free driving experience.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Congrats on your purchase!

What's the build date of your Outlook?

I have an '09 with a sunroof (no leaks) and every option except rear entertainment. Recently had the water pump replaced, and PS rack, pump, and inlet hose to address leaks and a "zip-tie noise" in the steering wheel. Other than not, no other major issues other than typical maintenance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
nomayo said:
I did it. My wife is the proud new owner of a certified '09 XR. It did come with the CPO maintenance package which is fantastic. We're taking it on vacation to the beach this weekend, and the kids are already stoked about the rear DVD and all of the room the 7 passenger config affords them.

Thanks for the answers and support. Now I just need to figure out how we can afford another one for me. :)
Congratulations!!! I hope you and your family are having a great time at the beach this holiday weekend.

Don't hesitate to contact me in the future with comments, questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

Michelle Phillips/CAC/SM/Sag/GW1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts