Saturn Outlook Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have an early 08 (build Aug 07), I assume I don't have the new programming and sure enough I think the car shifts a bit awkward, especially when cruise is engaged.
What should I do to obtain the latest (May 8) programming - do I talk to the dealer, what is the right way to request it? I don't like the idea of playing smart to the service advisor as this tends to turn them against you. The phones in ccaats post seem to be for the tech to call (not end user), no?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dai_Shan said:
Has anyone gotten this flash and noticed a gas milage change?
Just got home from the dealer. They did the flush and I really, really like the way the vehicle behaves. Way better shifting and I feel the power now, really. Tried to rapidly accelerate on the highway a few times, very responsive and no lag or hesitation.

Mileage wise it is hard to say but I did notice an increase on the highway - mind you it was only a 35 mile trip and I also changed engine oil (Mobile 1 Synt) so too early to draw any conclusion but I got 24.5 mpg ! My average, if I don't go much over 75 mpg is between 21 - 22.5 mpg so far.

PS If you go to acadiaforum.net there is plenty of feedback from folks who applied the May08 flush

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good to hear. I think I plan on sticking with the stock programming for at least a little while. See if its really needed, and to be able to have a decent "before" gas mileage average.

With the drive by wire or whatever - throttle, it definitely leaves some points in the transmission and throttle where nothing happens when you press the pedal (unless you floor it for a second or two). But then again, it was setup that way to help with gas mileage i'm sure. So you really have to tell the car, I don't care about mileage....GO! Definitely one of those cases where i wish they had a ECONOMIZER/RACE Knob or button to adjust shiftpoints of aggressivness! haha

·
Registered
7 Posts
leobg said:
I have an early 08 (build Aug 07), I assume I don't have the new programming and sure enough I think the car shifts a bit awkward, especially when cruise is engaged.
What should I do to obtain the latest (May 8) programming - do I talk to the dealer, what is the right way to request it? I don't like the idea of playing smart to the service advisor as this tends to turn them against you. The phones in ccaats post seem to be for the tech to call (not end user), no?

Thanks!
Yes, the phone number is for the service tech to call to get the download. The best thing to do is give the service dept at your Saturn dealership the tsb campaign #08-07-30-022 and tell them you have a hesitation or flat spot between 35-50 mph. Good Luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am totally agreeing with disgruntled and lem6611. I noticed the shift problem immediately after purchasing my 08 XE. Took it to the dealer twice and they said there was no problem. It is extremely aggravating to be going up a slight incline and having this problem, but going up steeper inclines makes me angry. I drove a ford explorer and traded it in for this vehicle and am very sorry I did. My explorer ran beautifully....lemon might be the correct term for this vehicle. Not to mention the oil problem after each oil change.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have an appointment on Tuesday to get the trans flash. Service chick was a little hesitant, I had to say I was experiencing the condition, not I want my peddle to react to my foot. I don't get GM's thinking on this one. We were driving to Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, in non stop rain. I was going up an incline around a turn at 45MPH and had to accelerate because of the car next to me drifting into us. I kept putting my foot closer to the floor until the Outlook responded. It responded by dropping 2 gears and breaking the tires loose, and we slid for the guardrail. I recovered, but if this caused an accident I would have sued GM for knowingly causing this issue for bogus gas mileage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been driving for about 10 days now after the May 08 flash and the difference is very pleasant. We just spent a week on Cape Cod week driving 45-50 mph every day and the tranny holds the 5th gear nicely instead of shifting back and forth. It was a nightmare before.

Too bad it looks like my sunroof started leaking :angryfire:

·
Registered
4 Posts
just spoke with a service technician at the dealership I purchased my fruit of yellow color and he said if I get the transmission flush upgrade I will lose MPH. I said MPH and he said, oh I meant MPG. so it's either unpleasant shifting or unpleasant gas mileage....what will be next on this wonderful purchase

·
Registered
63 Posts
lmnh said:
just spoke with a service technician at the dealership I purchased my fruit of yellow color and he said if I get the transmission flush upgrade I will lose MPH. I said MPH and he said, oh I meant MPG. so it's either unpleasant shifting or unpleasant gas mileage....what will be next on this wonderful purchase
Well, everything in life comes at some cost. It is not different with the cars.

It is up to you to decide. This is why May 8 update is optional

The car is quite heavy and I'm still surprised it can do as well on fuel consumption as it does. Cpmpared to a (boring) van of any brand it does as well if not even better.

I opted to get the update and I am pleased with the results. Update delivers what promises at the stated cost.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Finally got to drive the Outlook after the trans flash and am really satisfied with the reaction to my foot on the pedal. It was amusing, I just pushed a little on the peddle around 40 and my body was ready for the lag, but the vehicle actually accelerated a little, just like I wanted. Why it wasn't this way from the get go I can't figure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
doropallo said:
Why it wasn't this way from the get go I can't figure.
The reason they made it this way is to lower fuel consumption, so they claim car is more fuel efficient.

I bet it this car was released 5 years ago, the transmission would have been programmed even more agresively for performance (at cost of fuel consumption).

·
Registered
75 Posts
leobg said:
The reason they made it this way is to lower fuel consumption, so they claim car is more fuel efficient.
I understand what they claim, but I don't understand why they think it would save gas to keep pressing on the pedal until the vehicle downshifts and then accelerates, baffling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
People are not supposed to keep pushing the gas paddle. The engineers hoped that instead of jamming the gas paddle to get a strong acceleration, people would be content with slightly sluggish acceleration at high speed so that the engine rpm could be kept low most of the time.

I have a 10 year-old Accord. I just fueled it tonight and clocked a 35MPG, best I have seen over the last 10 years. On top of that, the driving was actually mostly local except 2 75-mile trips. What I did to get this MPG were:
1. keep no more than 65 MPH on the freeway;
2. shift slightly early and mostly keep the RPM no more than 2k (it's a manual transmission).
3. coast to red lights and stop signs.

That's all it takes. The way the vehicle is driven makes a big difference. The guys calibrating the Outlook transmission were trying up shift early in order to conserve gas. Nothing wrong with that. Put it this way, if the gas were to go up to $8 a gallon (as it was in Europe last month), some of us may ask to flash the transmission back to the old calibration.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, based on a past few experiences, when I was trying to merge with a high speed traffic or when I needed to accelerate to a side quickly to avoid somebody cutting me on a highway I can tell you that the vehicle's behaviour was dangerous. I don't care how much the gas costs - I have to be sure I can rely on quick response from the vehicle if needed. I don't want a racing machine, dont' take me wrong, I drive defensively but a desire to get the best mileage can't compromise safety. That's concern #1. Concern #2 is that I got so tired driving over the mountains on one trip with constant shifting that I decided to use manaul + / - button. This is not a pleasurable drive at all.

Speaking of rpms...for majority of high revs engines, such as Hondas, the most optimum and healthy use of an engine is keeping her running around 3000 rpms. If you drive such a car on a high gear and low rpms your pistons will be complaining, not to mention the tranny.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't noticed any significant change in MPG since my flash update.... the boggy-slowness around 35-45 is much improved.

This should only effect your MPG if you are super light on the pedal, and move your pedal based on how fast you want to go....(press down pedal and wait until it gets up to speed (a minute or so at very low RPM)), in this case it will keep RPMs higher a touch longer before shifting. Although in my testing, it still seems to shift awfully early (compared to most other auto's or manuals i've driven)

It won't effect your MPG if you move your pedal based on how far you need to press it, to get the Acceleration you want. (push down, realized it isn't responding(upping RPMs), press down more, repeat...until floored! and Rev'd!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
J33 said:
Speaking of rpms...for majority of high revs engines, such as Hondas, the most optimum and healthy use of an engine is keeping her running around 3000 rpms. If you drive such a car on a high gear and low rpms your pistons will be complaining, not to mention the tranny.
Actually Accord's 2.3 liter I-4 runs very smoothly at around 1600 rpm. Of course the engine will protest if you put it at 5th gear at 30 mph and push the gas hard to accelerate, any engine would have. But cruising at 1600 rpm, there is not complain at all. 3000 rpm is where the torque peaks, but not the rpm where it consume the least fuel.

Fuel consumption actually is directly proportional to rpm. Take this 2.3 liter I-4 engine as an example. For every 4 strokes, the engine burns 2.3 liters of air/fuel mixture. Every 4 strokes, the crank shaft turns 2 revolutions. At 3000 rpm, the engine completes 1500 of the 4-stroke cycles and thereby burns 1500x2.3=3450 liters of air/fuel mixture per minute.

The air/fuel ratio is also know as Stoich ratio. For a gas engine, this ratio is about 14.7 air to fuel in mass. Air/fuel mixture burns properly within a very small range of this ratio.

So you see, once you know how many liters of air/fuel mixture you burn per minute, the amount of fuel you consume is almost fixed during that time, because of the 14.7 Stoich ratio. The more liter of air/fuel mixture you burn, the higher the fuel consume. And air/fuel mixture consumption rate is directly related to RPM. Higher the RPM, more liters of air/fuel mixture burnt.

Of course you cannot run too low of an RPM because if you don't burn enough fuel, you don't get power. Also, power=force x speed. Higher speed means less force. At a given power setting, higher rpm means there is less strain and stress on engine parts. That's why if you try to extract high power at very low rpm, (push gas hard at 1300 rpm), the high stress and strain cause engine to vibrate.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i"ve got about 8000 miles on my 08 XR (build 11/07). I have been very pleased, even with the gas mileage. I came out of a Durango, and best I could do was 17 on the highway (V-8).

I was getting 20+ in mixed driving, but noticed on a interstate trip where I kept the speed at 70 I got 26.6 mpg. Double checked it when I fueled up.
For my XR and my driving I have found that I need to keep the rpm's under 2000. I can only use the cruise when I'm in the low country of SC, without hills, since the transmission downshifts and rpms jump. When I start up gradual grades, the motor seems to have a sweet spot in the torque range about 1600 to 1800, but you have to ease into it, or again, it shifts down.

When in stop and go driving, and at redlights, again, I accelerate easily and keep it under 2000. It took a little practice. Now, when I pay attention to my driving style, I can get 21-22 in mixed driving. Highway, at the speed limit, I can get 25+. And these are based on the actual miles/gallons, not the computer. My computer is about 0.5 mpg low.

From my reading others posts, it appears that there is a dramatic variation in the performance of different Outlooks, so as they say, your results may vary.

·
Registered
54 Posts
mandopickr said:
i"ve got about 8000 miles on my 08 XR (build 11/07). I have been very pleased, even with the gas mileage. I came out of a Durango, and best I could do was 17 on the highway (V-8).

I was getting 20+ in mixed driving, but noticed on a interstate trip where I kept the speed at 70 I got 26.6 mpg. Double checked it when I fueled up.
For my XR and my driving I have found that I need to keep the rpm's under 2000. I can only use the cruise when I'm in the low country of SC, without hills, since the transmission downshifts and rpms jump. When I start up gradual grades, the motor seems to have a sweet spot in the torque range about 1600 to 1800, but you have to ease into it, or again, it shifts down.

When in stop and go driving, and at redlights, again, I accelerate easily and keep it under 2000. It took a little practice. Now, when I pay attention to my driving style, I can get 21-22 in mixed driving. Highway, at the speed limit, I can get 25+. And these are based on the actual miles/gallons, not the computer. My computer is about 0.5 mpg low.

From my reading others posts, it appears that there is a dramatic variation in the performance of different Outlooks, so as they say, your results may vary.
I just finished my first tank of gas, clocked 411 miles and filled in 20.1 gals. So it's an average of 20.5 mpg. I am pretty pleased, as mine is an AWD. According two EPA, I should get 18 over all. I am doing 15% better. The driving is about 60% local and 40% highway (part of this highway isn't even freeway, but a long stretch of road between towns without traffic lights). I have the AC on about 30% of the time.

I did exactly like mandopickr did, take it easy when starting from standstill, and keep the speed below 70 on freeway. Actually most of the time I just cruised at 65. It does make a huge difference. I got 14 mpg overall on a rented XR FWD during a business trip when I gun the engine starting from an intersection.

By the way, mine is an 08, without the DI engine.

mandopickr, is your XR an AWD or FWD?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts