Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace struts. Has anyone found the newer "quick struts", which include the spring already compressed? I cannot seem to find any for he Lambdas.

Thank you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
At least there are a few aftermarket struts to choose from now. I have not seen any quick strut ones like you described.

What is the advantage of these?

·
Registered
754 Posts
the quick strut set up--

If I remember correctly...
is the strut and coil spring as 1 unit...

you remove the old and slide the new one in...

no need to compress the coil etc etc...

·
Registered
754 Posts
I dont know...
I would guess it can come out as a whole assemby too?

·
Registered
45 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Aren't you going to need to compress the coil on the old one to get it out?
I recently changed my front links and struts on my 2008 XE fwd. there is no need to compress the already installed coil spring to get it out. You have to disconnect the brake hose, and anti- lock sensor that is attached to the strut body and disconnect the link bar assembly. Before removing the struts loosen the upper mounting bolts. Once you've done that you can proceed to the strut removal. I have a spring compressor so I didn't need a quick assembly kit, since the springs and other hardware were in good shape. Good luck, whichever way you go!!! Don't forget you'll need a wheel alignment afterward. :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bigneef123 said:
I recently changed my front links and struts on my 2008 XE fwd. there is no need to compress the already installed coil spring to get it out. You have to disconnect the brake hose, and anti- lock sensor that is attached to the strut body and disconnect the link bar assembly. Before removing the struts loosen the upper mounting bolts. Once you've done that you can proceed to the strut removal. I have a spring compressor so I didn't need a quick assembly kit, since the springs and other hardware were in good shape. Good luck, whichever way you go!!! Don't forget you'll need a wheel alignment afterward. :thumb:

Great to know - thank you. Did the spring not require compression due to suspension travel maxed out, or does it remain compressed through other hardware? Most cars I have ever worked on require you to compress the spring to install the strut.

·
Registered
45 Posts
vwtodd said:
Great to know - thank you. Did the spring not require compression due to suspension travel maxed out, or does it remain compressed through other hardware? Most cars I have ever worked on require you to compress the spring to install the strut.
You compress the spring after the unit is removed from the vehicle. The unit comes out in one piece and to install the new strut you compress the old unit and install the new strut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts