Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Rattling in front end

26K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  doropallo 
#1 ·
Front end rattles when I go over bumps..

Does it have to do with control arms, front stabilizer shaft links, sway bar links, or strut mounts??

Was curious if anyone else had this problem and what the issue/cost was since I am out of warranty.

Thanks!

PS, I looked for old posts and could not find anything..

#3 ·
There are several posts on the other boards (Enclave, Acadia, Traverse) which discussed the same problem. Some of the owner's did the repair themselves by replacing the sway bar links or stabilizer shaft links. The replacement isn't difficult if you are some what mechanically inclined, and is rather inexpensive (maybe under $75.00) if you DIY.

Sign up on the other boards and search each one as there are also several posts with pictures. You have to be signed up as a member on each board in order to see the pictures. Here are a few links to the other boards, and the second link has a photo of one of the components.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=6106.0

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2068.0

#6 ·
jrvichammer said:
Had the same problem a few weeks back. Replaced front stabilizer links which fixed the problem. If I remember right it was around $200-$250 to replace at dealership.
Thank you for taking the time to share what you have experienced. How is the vehicle doing as of today?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

#7 ·
mattdb71 said:
Thanks. I will check prices and availability online and fix it myself..
How are things going with the Outlook and your project?

#9 ·
jrvichammer said:
It's doing great. Thanks.
Sweet!!!! :clap:

Please, don't hesitate to contact me in the future with comments, questions, concerns or to just say, "Hi".

I hope you have an amazing evening.

#10 ·
I wanted to chime in here. 2007 Outlook with 128k and I started hearing the clunk in the front end. I didn't get to it in time, as the passenger sway bar link, top nut, was loose. It started to "wobble" the hole a bit, so I might be revisiting this problem down the road, if the new sway bar link becomes loose or shifts during ride.

I replaced with 2 Moogs, with the grease fittings. Out the door for ~$90. I was able to replace them in the driveway in about 2 hours. I would recommend a jack stand to hold the vehicle up, as I had to use my jack to lift the hub a bit to align the link with the holes.

#11 ·
I replaced the stabilzer bar links last year, got them on RockAuto for $24 each, https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?catalog=11&partnum=K750155.

This year there was a massive rattle, jacked up the Outlook and the passenger side Strut was shot, as well as the mount. I was in a hurry so I ordered the factory Struts from Amazon and new Moog strut mounts from RockAuto, replaced both. Fixed the rattle but now there is a clunk when I turn the wheel and start to accelerate, not so much when sitting still, but turning with a little power (gas). Haven't been able to locate it as of yet. 2008 Outlook XR FWD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.