Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if and where I can get these cheap online? I looked on RockAuto but didn't find anything. I don't even know the real name of these things, which would probably help me to find them online easier...

I had them replaced approx 15 months ago when Saturn dealers were still around and the vehicle was still under warranty, but now that I'm over 3yr/36K I'm sure any GM dealer would love to charge me $200-$300! How is it that my 2003 Nissan Pathfinder is still on the originals? It's a shame, bc these things don't last very long seeing that I'm looking for a 3rd pair...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Go back to rock auto and look under body-exterior, lift support. I've heard others switching them out with little effort
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
What model year and trim level is your Outlook?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I searched as well when I was looking for the lift cylinders and did find them on some gm parts pages but it was hard to find them anywear else. They were cheaper but went by the dealer anyways to check the price which was 33 bucks each so I bought them since they had them in stock and since they would have been the same price as if I would have ordered them on-line with the shipping and handling and taxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AA/78U said:
What model year and trim level is your Outlook?
2008 Outlook XR

I emailed RockAuto and they don't them. I did a search on eBay and there is a online vendor that specializes in these "tailgate struts" and offers a lifetime warranty. The ones he is selling for my particular vehicle are NOT genuine GM parts so that makes me even happier. They are $46 shipped which is a pretty good deal, so I already ordered them. I emailed him regarding warranty and if they ever fail, you just pay for shipping both ways (to and from, approx $10) and they'll send you a new replacement...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theclarkfam said:
I searched as well when I was looking for the lift cylinders and did find them on some gm parts pages but it was hard to find them anywear else. They were cheaper but went by the dealer anyways to check the price which was 33 bucks each so I bought them since they had them in stock and since they would have been the same price as if I would have ordered them on-line with the shipping and handling and taxes.
Were they easy to remove and install? They are supposed to be installed with the silver shaft down (or black housing up).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. I am out at sea right now :thumb:. Yes they were very easy to replace and if you are not a tall person prop the lift gate up to the max it will open and them pull the retainer clips and wiggle off. The black part will connect to the body and the piston or silver shaft part will connect to the lift gate. I would suggest not removing the new retainer clips all the way but half way so that you can just press them back in place when you have them on. Saves alot of time and effort.

Will
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for late reply as well. Just a follow up for others: I ordered the ones on eBay and replaced it with a flat head screw driver in approx 5 minutes. Just needed the help of a long 2x4 or wife to hold up the liftgate while I worked on it. Since only the right strut was blown, I only replaced the one and now have a spare as its just a matter of time until the left one blows out (eBay vendor only sold them in pairs) but even better.

Now I just have to resolve the "airbag" message bc its always on! Any thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Take a look at the connectors underneath the front seats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
andrewpm said:
Sorry for late reply as well. Just a follow up for others: I ordered the ones on eBay and replaced it with a flat head screw driver in approx 5 minutes. Just needed the help of a long 2x4 or wife to hold up the liftgate while I worked on it. Since only the right strut was blown, I only replaced the one and now have a spare as its just a matter of time until the left one blows out (eBay vendor only sold them in pairs) but even better.

Now I just have to resolve the "airbag" message bc its always on! Any thoughts?
Andrewpm, I'm suprised nobody has said this yet, but I would strongly suggest that you replace both struts at the same time. If indeed you are expecting the other strut to go out, all that is doing is putting more pressure on the new strut that you just replaced which in turn will wear down the new strut. I have a tanning bed at home and I have replaced the shocks(as they are called on a tanning bed) on the tanning bed and the instuctions stated to replace both shocks at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
on a side note-- im surprissed they sell home tanning beds...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
rbarrios said:
on a side note-- im surprissed they sell home tanning beds...
Actually my brother in law was a physical trainer and the business he worked for closed down. So we got a professional tanning bed for free. This was about 10 years ago. Funny though, one of the ballast is out and its right in the center on the base. If you don't move around you will look like you have the skunk stripe down your back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
That might be embarassing if you were on a nudist beach :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
danler said:
Andrewpm, I'm suprised nobody has said this yet, but I would strongly suggest that you replace both struts at the same time. If indeed you are expecting the other strut to go out, all that is doing is putting more pressure on the new strut that you just replaced which in turn will wear down the new strut. I have a tanning bed at home and I have replaced the shocks(as they are called on a tanning bed) on the tanning bed and the instuctions stated to replace both shocks at the same time.
Agreed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Re: Rear liftgate replacement lift support needed, power lift-gate

Can anyone help? I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR with a power lift-gate. It needs new lift supports. I bought some online and when I went to install them, I found out that the car really only has one lift support -- the one the passenger's side. What looks like a lift support on the driver's side is really a rod attaching to the power liftgate system. The lift supports I bought aren't strong enough to replace the passenger's side lift support, as I'm guessing they are for a regular, non-power lift-gate which in fact has 2 real lift supports. I've asked a few parts stores and none even know that this car has only one lift support. Any ideas where I can get the right lift support. Any help would be very much appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
20812019

is the part number for the actuator rod.

look on ebay and see if thats the part..

also- ask on the ACADIA forum.. they use the same part on the 2007 Acadias. As do the enclaves.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top