Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the XR with the auto rear liftgate package. Does anyone know if the remote start module is already installed if the option package was not purchased. I heard it is there but needs to be activated by the dealer and a new fob obtained. I was too impatient to wait for a special order....and luv'in it :beer:

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you check the owner's manual, there's a section that allows you to customize the DIC settings. Remote start can be activated or deactivated from that menu. Just look up the section in the manual concerning DIC settings.

When we picked ours up, the salesman said that all the XR's are coming standard with the remote start.

·
Registered
117 Posts
orono said:
I have the XR with the auto rear liftgate package. Does anyone know if the remote start module is already installed if the option package was not purchased. I heard it is there but needs to be activated by the dealer and a new fob obtained. I was too impatient to wait for a special order....and luv'in it :beer:
If you have the XR and touring package you have remote start. Just remember to hit lock for three seconds immediately preceding pushing the remote start button. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Manual: Remote Start Activation

From the 2007 Acadia Manual (should be exactly the same for Outlook)
[/color]
Remote Vehicle Start

Your vehicle may have a remote starting feature. This feature allows you to start the engine from outside of the vehicle. It may also start up the vehicle's heating or air conditioning systems and rear window defogger. Normal operation of the system will return after the key is turned to the ON position.

If your vehicle has an automatic climate control system, during remote start, the climate control system will default to a heating mode during colder outside temperatures and a cooling mode during warmer outside temperatures. If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate control system, during remote start, the climate control system will turn on at the setting the vehicle was set to when the vehicle was last turned off.

During a remote start, if your vehicle has an automatic climate control system and heated seats, the heated seats will turn on during colder outside temperatures and will shut off when the key is turned to RUN. If your vehicle does not have an automatic climate control system, during remote start, you will need to manually turn the heated seats on and off. See Heated Seats for additional information Laws in some communities may restrict the use of remote starters. For example, some laws may require a person using the remote start to have the vehicle in view when doing so. Check local
regulations for any requirements on remote starting of vehicles.

The RKE transmitter with the remote start button, provides an increased range of operation. However, the range may be less while the vehicle is running. As a result, you may need to be closer to your vehicle to turn it off, than you were to turn it on. There are other conditions which can affect the performance of the transmitter, see Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System on page 98 for additional information.

(Remote Start): This button will be on the RKE transmitter if you have remote start.
To start the vehicle using the remote start feature, do the following:

1. Aim the transmitter at the vehicle.

2. Press and release the transmitter's lock button, then immediately press and hold the transmitter's remote start button until the turn signal lights flash. If you cannot see the vehicle's lights, press and hold the remote start button for at least four seconds. The vehicle's doors will lock. Pressing the remote start button again, after the vehicle has
started, will turn off the ignition. When the vehicle starts, the parking lamps will turn on and remain on while the vehicle is
running.

3. If it is the first remote start since the vehicle has been driven, repeat these steps while the
engine is still running, to extend the time by 10 minutes for the engine to continue to run. Remote start can be extended one time. After entering the vehicle during a remote start, insert and turn the key to the ON position to drive
the vehicle. If the vehicle is left running it will automatically shut off after 10 minutes unless a time extension
has been done.

To manually shut off a remote start, do any of the following:
  • Aim the RKE transmitter at the vehicle and
    press the remote start button until the
    parking lamps turn off.
  • Turn on the hazard warning flashers.
  • Turn the ignition switch on and then off.

The vehicle can be remote started two separate times between driving sequences. The engine will run for 10 minutes after each remote start. Or, you can extend the engine run time by another 10 minutes within the first 10 minute remote start time frame, and before the engine stops. For example, if the lock button and then the remote start buttons are pressed again after the vehicle has been running for five minutes, 10 minutes are added, allowing the engine to run for 15 minutes.
The additional 10 minutes are considered a second remote vehicle start.

Once two remote starts, or a single remote start with one time extension has been done, the vehicle must be started with the key. After the key is removed from the ignition, the vehicle can be remote started again. The vehicle cannot be remote started if the key is in the ignition, the hood is not closed, or if there is an emission control system malfunction.
Also, the engine will turn off during a remote vehicle start if the coolant temperature gets too
high or if the oil pressure gets low. Vehicles that have the remote vehicle start feature are shipped from the factory with the remote vehicle start system enabled. The system may be enabled or disabled through the DIC if your
vehicle has DIC buttons. See REMOTE START‚ under DIC Vehicle Customization (With DIC Buttons) on page 255 for additional information. If your vehicle does not have DIC buttons, see your dealer/retailer to enable or disable the remote
vehicle start system.

Remote Start Ready
If your vehicle does not have the remote vehicle start feature, it will have the remote start ready feature. This feature allows your dealer/retailer to add the manufacturer's remote vehicle start feature.

See your dealer/retailer if you would like to add the manufacturer's remote vehicle start feature to your vehicle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first impression was that the remote start feature was just a gimmick. But with a child, it's nice to be able to cool the interior before entering or while loading groceries. It's as helpful as the remote ligtgate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Remote Start Activation
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 09:38:45 PM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good for showing off...other than that, I don't really see the need to heat or cool my car until I get in.

Outside of getting into a more comfortable environment when the temps outside are in the mid to upper 90's or maybe down in the freezing range. I hate getting into a hot car and perspiring until the A/C starts to cool the air off. I also hate getting into a cold car and sitting there rubbing my hands and blowing into them just to keep them warm until the heater has warmed the air. The problem is amplified when you have children involved too. Maybe YOU see it as a gimmick, but there are plenty that see it as a very useful feature. :thumb:

Since it's such a nuisance for you, just deactivate the feature and carry on. However, if you should decide to trade the vehicle in...I'm sure since it comes with the vehicle...it'll help the trade value out. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traded in my Expedition with the remote start for the Outlook. Never ever used the remote. Dont know why...as I use it with the Outlook every day!! I love it, I cannot believe how much it cools off the car. Of course, I live in Arizona :angryfire: and it is only like 110 out today. Anyways, I highly recommend it. The heated seats though...wont see much use. ;D

·
Registered
51 Posts
allmet33 said:
Since it's such a nuisance for you, just deactivate the feature and carry on. However, if you should decide to trade the vehicle in...I'm sure since it comes with the vehicle...it'll help the trade value out. ;)
I don't think anyone here was saying it's a nuisance, they were just wondering why and how others use it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
jonnjustinsmom said:
I traded in my Expedition with the remote start for the Outlook. Never ever used the remote. Dont know why...as I use it with the Outlook every day!! I love it, I cannot believe how much it cools off the car. Of course, I live in Arizona :angryfire: and it is only like 110 out today. Anyways, I highly recommend it. The heated seats though...wont see much use. ;D
My wife's parents live in Tucson and they use the heated seats for their backs. They have a VUE and with the A/C on, the heat helps to make the drive easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
scotted73 said:
My wife's parents live in Tucson and they use the heated seats for their backs. They have a VUE and with the A/C on, the heat helps to make the drive easier.
Well yep, I guess that is true. I did use the heated seats on the drive back from Phoenix one day. You are very right...it does help with the back! :thumb:

·
Registered
49 Posts
scotted73 said:
Actually...Eddie Cee was saying that it seemed to be merely a gimmick used for folks to simply show off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
allmet33 said:
Actually...Eddie Cee was saying that it seemed to be merely a gimmick used for folks to simply show off.
The remote start was the gimmick not the heated seats (Arizona summer weather precluding the use of heated seats.).

And yes it is fun to show off. My next door neighbors purchased a Honda Pilot (which they are lukewarm about) and are amazed with our Outlook and all of its room.

·
Registered
49 Posts
scotted73 said:
The remote start was the gimmick not the heated seats (Arizona summer weather precluding the use of heated seats.).

And yes it is fun to show off. My next door neighbors purchased a Honda Pilot (which they are lukewarm about) and are amazed with our Outlook and all of its room.

Exactly...that's what I'm talking about. Funny you mention a Honda Pilot owner. I was sitting at a light and a Pilot pulled up next to me and everyone inside was oogling my Outlook. It looked like the kids inside were looking at mommy and inquiring as to why they didn't get an Outlook instead! LOL

·
Registered
31 Posts
So, far, those who want to know more about my Outlook, I show off every feature possible...then for the last kicker to impress them, I say "watch this...". I then start the car remotely...Almost all are tickled about that feature. I live in Roseville, California (hotter than downtown Sacramento). When I get in my car I immediately turn on the A/C. My car cools down very quickly. I'm one who also will park a ways from destination so long as I protect my car in whatever shade is possible. Most likely in the winter I'll start using the Remote control...it gets way too cold for my comfort up here. Last winter would of been perfect. These old bones could take the heat better than winter (and I'm 41 years old!!!).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good for showing off...other than that, I don't really see the need to heat or cool my car until I get in.
If you had 2 kids crying every time they got into the car when it is 114 outside and heaven only knows how hot it is in the backseat, burning their legs on the metal clips of their carseats, you would be saying "God Bless the auto start engineers" for thinking this one up!!!! I have several friends who have added this feature after market to cars over the last few years so it is not new technology...it will just be new to me!

I am sure the same thing can be said for winters that are just as freezing cold as our summers are blistering hot in Phoenix.

And the power lift gate, that is the one feature my sister does not have in her Odyssey that she wishes she could have added as an ala carte option like we can on the Lambda's and it was only available in the top trim level. She would have paid the $400 or whatever for the convenience package in New York minute.

It is a deal breaker for me. I can hardly reach these kind of trucks when the hatch is all the way open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts