Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Outlook XE for about 6 weeks and I would like to add the Remote Start feature (a X-Mas gift to myself!). Anyone know exactly how much the dealership charges to add this?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Gook luck! You might want to read the threads on the other forum about this. It sound other OUTLOOK owners are not having much luck with a add on remote starter. Is yours an 07 or 08?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 07 and took mine to an AutoAmeristar dealer. I got an aftermarket Viper starter. Any aftermarket system should work. You do need a device to bypass the PC III security system and a spare key is needed for this. I can't imagine why an 08 model wouldn't be able to have an aftermarket remote start system installed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The accessory is around $150, basically just for new remotes, and then the dealer simply has the program the feature "on" in your vehicle that had it all along...just not turned on.

Lately, some people have brought up an issue that dealers couldn't do it anymore, etc., but the remotes are still listed as a GM accessory, and the reprogram still should be there for dealers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well - I called Saturn today to ask about the Remote Start. At first, I got a guy in the Parts Dept. who said he believed it was very difficult and involved changing the entire wiring harness and stuff. He then went to check the part and said that his info shows that it was not available until Feb. 2008 (I saw this same story on the SaturnFans site).

While he was on the phone with me, a tech was standing next to him and whispered in his ear that he had just put a remote start into an XE last week! The Parts Guy then put me on hold to find out more info. When he came back he said he could order the part for $189 and have it installed for a total of $229. He said it takes about 5 days for the part to come in... so I ordered it and scheduled the install for next week! I will let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Is the right hand not telling the left hand what is going on? :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
jfullam said:
Well - I called Saturn today to ask about the Remote Start. At first, I got a guy in the Parts Dept. who said he believed it was very difficult and involved changing the entire wiring harness and stuff. He then went to check the part and said that his info shows that it was not available until Feb. 2008 (I saw this same story on the SaturnFans site).

While he was on the phone with me, a tech was standing next to him and whispered in his ear that he had just put a remote start into an XE last week! The Parts Guy then put me on hold to find out more info. When he came back he said he could order the part for $189 and have it installed for a total of $229. He said it takes about 5 days for the part to come in... so I ordered it and scheduled the install for next week! I will let you all know how it goes.
Which dealer is this? I also have a 2008 XE and was told by my dealer it was impossible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's a seeing is believing with that. I'd lean towards a 07 or early 08 can be done but I highly doubt anything after Mid Sept. can be done. Dealer and factory rep confirmed it's no longer available. Unless of course they're feeding me the bull. :angryfire:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just came back from my Saturn Dealership where they installed Remote Start into my 2008 XE. As they described, I just needed 2 new FOB's (got to keep the old ones, too) and they needed to do a re-program. Took about 2 hours cause the needed to contact Saturn Corporate and download something from them for the update.
Total price was $249 with tax, but I had a 10% coupon I just got from Saturn in the mail, so final price was $224.
Works great!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Just got my remote start installed today in my '08 XR.
$189.00 for the 2 FOBs plus $55 for labor (It took about an hour and half.)
Total price plus tax was $262.10 at Saturn of Brunswick in NJ.

Perfect timing as the temperature dropped today along with some freezing rain.
I tested it out after work today.
I kept my fingers crossed as I walked to the window near the lot where I park and I hit the remote button....
I got a great big grin when I saw the lights flash indicating it had started. The window is on the 2nd floor and is at least 150ft from where I parked.

When I got to the vehicle ~3minutes later the air was blowing full blast from the upper front windsheild vents and both seat warmers were on......nice.
Key1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lewisr said:
key1cc, jfullam,

What are the build dates for your Outlooks?
My build date is Sept. 2007

On a side note, with the complete re-program of my ECM, it feels like my transmission is behaving better...it could be my imagination, but it seems to handle hills much smoother (no surging). Having a build date of Sept. 2007, I did not think I needed any transmission update?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased my 07 XE and it had remote start included. I love it. I am going to put it on my wife's Sky. It does help here in the cold weather, great to have the car warm when you get in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought a new remote off of amazon for $59, my 07 is Remote start ready. The new remote has the remote start button. I called my saturn dealer and they said it would be free to program the remote start since I am still under warranty. Just FYI

1 - 19 of 19 Posts