Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of replacing the tires on my Outlook. The existing tires are p255-65-18. I have available to me four p265-70-18 tires. Does anyone know if they will have any interference problems? They are approximately 1.5 " large in diameter.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Rob said:
I am in need of replacing the tires on my Outlook. The existing tires are p255-65-18. I have available to me four p265-70-18 tires. Does anyone know if they will have any interference problems? They are approximately 1.5 " large in diameter.

Thanks
Will they even fit on the rims? That would be my first question. Different size tires than whats called for will through off your speedometer, mileage, and possibly road noise. I would stick to the specks if it were me. MTCW.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Rob said:

Thanks
go to the acadia forum-- theres multiple threads there for new tires- and tire sizes

·
Registered
161 Posts
You need to be a little careful on this. It's OK to change the overall height a little but I wouldn't go more than 1". Smaller the diameter the faster your speedo will show than what you are actually going. The way to read these sizes is the first number is the width of the tire in MM. The middle number is the width in relation to the first number. So, your car now has 255-65 which means the sidewall is 255x65%=165.75mm. So, if you do what you are saying, your new tires will be more than an 1" taller and also 1" wider. Now, you can go something like 250-70-18 or 260-60-18 safely. Going much more either way you will really want to do some homework. Also, you need to see the actual specs of the tires you are looking at. Some tires are no exactly the size they say they are too.

here's a simple calculator. http://ejelta.com/tiresize/?ws18=1&

·
Registered
396 Posts
First, these are 10mm wider, or about 3/8". Likely not a big deal. The 1.55" change in diameter, however, is another story. Given how little clearance there seems to be on the wheel wells of my Outlook, I'd be hesitant to go larger in dia.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Depending on your area (the OP appears to be a first time poster without sig or locale), you may not want to go with a tire that's larger. If you have snow, you'll end up having traction issues with snow getting plugged up and thrown around in the wheel well (will be knocking off jammed or packed ice/snow all the time).

The gap between the wheel well and the leading edge of the tire is not that great to begin with. You may end up with interference fit issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I changed my tires out and went with a much wider and slightly taller tire. It fits, but you can never install a snow traction device like spikes spiders. The limited selection of tires is a real disappointment for this vehicle. But I got a great new tire called a Ventus by Hankook. Awesome and they look really nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts