Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always joked around with people by telling them they needed to replace their blinker fluid when they have bulbs that burn out. Today I finally found the legendary blinker fluid. The right rear blinker went out on my wife's '08 XE yesterday, so I grabbed a set of bulbs from Auto Zone and started the repair today. As it turns out, I didn't have the correct size socket to remove the turn signal housing bolts (7mm in case you are wondering), so we decided to stop at Harbor Freight on our way out of town so I could finally buy the socket driver set I've been eyeing for a while. $10 later (bought SAE and Metric sets) and I was ready to go.

I pulled the housing apart in the parking lot, and when I disconnected the bulb housing some water came out. I thought it was weird, so I turned the assembly upside down and approximately 16-20 ounces of water came out. I kid you not. I'm guessing that there is a small hole in the gasket and some rain water leaked inside during the past couple of storms. My first thought was that the bulb hadn't burned out, but that the assembly had become damaged from the water. I disconnect all of the wires, and shook the assembly until all of the water was out. There was still some condensation, so I decided to wait and try and really dry it out when I got home tonight. I put everything back together, threw in the new bulbs, and mounted the assembly. With fingers crossed I had my wife turn on the blinker, and it worked! Hallelujah! I pulled apart the left rear assembly to double check it and replace the bulb (I like to replace both sides at the same time. I'm a little OCD.), and luckily there was no water inside. Put it back together with the new bulb, tested both sides, and we were on our way.

I don't have a sunroof, so my best bet is there is a crack in the assembly or a hole in the gasket. My wife has been parking so the rear of the vehicle is just outside the carport, so all of the rain water has been running down the back of the car, and there's a good chance it found any cracks or holes in the assembly. Tomorrow I'll be pulling the assembly apart and looking for the culprit.

So, yeah, make sure you change your blinker fluid. :thumb:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Oh yeah!

Its time to change the blinker fluid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As an update to this post, I still haven't been able to find the link and haven't gotten around to buying a new housing (work and house have been crazy lately). We got hammered with snow (finally) in the northern Utah area over Christmas, and I noticed yesterday that I've got a nice block of ice below the blinker and brake bulbs. Makes me laugh every time I see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts