Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I own a 2008 Saturn Outlook XR FWD with the standard audio package and would like to replace the factory speakers.
I have six speakers total now - one in each door and a pair of tweeters in the pillar next to the windshield.
I saw some pictures of two speakers in the front dash and two speakers for the third row (is this the advanced audio package) along with the subwoofer near the floor console (which I do not think I will try to add yet) - but would definetly like to add all but the subwoofer.
Does anyone know if my existing wire harness would already have speaker connections for the front dash and third row?
Also, any suggestions on replacement speakers and/or how hard these would be to add/replace?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was kind of wondering about this myself !

I have noticed (in passing) at the back pillar (if mem' serves...) what looks like grillwork for 4th set ! Maybe big enough for 6x9s Haven't looked for placement spot of 5th set.

We may have to purchase a hanes or similiar book ?

Although probably quicker to ask the dealer where they are and please please sir (/mam') printout the schematic for accessing the positions . . . . oh by the ays sir/mam' is the harness hiding behind the walls -stock !? ???

doug c

·
Registered
14 Posts
Asked a client who frequents car salvage yards (and incidentally still runs a decades old Saturn sedan) to keep his eyes peeled for a Outlook. So I can pop over and chk under the spkr grill caps for pre-wiring, etc. And to test best way to pop covers w/o damaging the (plastic) material.

Chkd last night for a Chiltons ref. thru the local public library catalogue. But nothing popped up for Saturn at all !

later, doug c

(i also want to see if the rims will be selling for a more palatable $ just as long as the unit wasn't in a horrific shredding type of collision)

·
Registered
14 Posts
mikek said:
I saw some pictures of two speakers in the front dash and two speakers for the third row (is this the advanced audio package) along with the subwoofer near the floor console (which I do not think I will try to add yet) - but would definetly like to add all but the subwoofer.
Do you or anyone else have pictures of the interior. I would be interested in the subwoofer as well. One of the only complaints my wife has(other then POOR mpg) is the stereo system. I am considering replacement speakers and possibly a subwoofer. Our Mazda 6 that was traded for the Outlook had Bose and a subwoofer stock.

Kevin

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 09 XR with standard audio package and just replaced all the speakers this weekend, added an amp, AND added an Isimple ipod adapter so I was all over the car. Replacing the speakers is a fairly easy job, maybe 1 hour per speaker if you take your time. Most of the work is removing trim pieces which pop off so you need a trim removal tool to do this without scratching anything inside.
To answer the above questions
-none of the cars at the dealer with bose had dash speakers, except for a center channel on the DVD option. this is not pre-wired with the standard audio package of the 09
- the 3rd row speakers now have a full cover (no grille) and no wiring for the speakers
- the sub location has no grille and no wiring (although most posts indicate the center sub is too weak anyway to warrant installation.

There is room in the dash to add speakers, but you would need to cut the trip piece and add visible grilles.
I went with alpine 6.5 components for the front, infinity reference for the rear, alpine 4 channel amp.
VERY happy. Sounds better and much louder than the factory bose at less than 1/2 the cost.
also, the Isimple system works great for the ipod (controls via radio and wheel). small amount of "charging" noise when the ipod is silent, but this is far less than what it was when I had the ipod connected to the aux input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
dancejka said:
I have the 09 XR with standard audio package and just replaced all the speakers this weekend, added an amp, AND added an Isimple ipod adapter so I was all over the car. Replacing the speakers is a fairly easy job, maybe 1 hour per speaker if you take your time. Most of the work is removing trim pieces which pop off so you need a trim removal tool to do this without scratching anything inside.
To answer the above questions
-none of the cars at the dealer with bose had dash speakers, except for a center channel on the DVD option. this is not pre-wired with the standard audio package of the 09
- the 3rd row speakers now have a full cover (no grille) and no wiring for the speakers
- the sub location has no grille and no wiring (although most posts indicate the center sub is too weak anyway to warrant installation.

There is room in the dash to add speakers, but you would need to cut the trip piece and add visible grilles.
I went with alpine 6.5 components for the front, infinity reference for the rear, alpine 4 channel amp.
VERY happy. Sounds better and much louder than the factory bose at less than 1/2 the cost.
also, the Isimple system works great for the ipod (controls via radio and wheel). small amount of "charging" noise when the ipod is silent, but this is far less than what it was when I had the ipod connected to the aux input.
Can you share the part numbers or models for the Amp interface, ipod interface, and Alpine Amp? Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts