Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or did GM make it more difficult than necesssary to replace the air filter in the Outlook? There are 8 star screws in hard to reach places. After removing those, there are 3 wires and a tube that all have to be removed/loosened. It took me 30 minutes to change it out yesterday.

Why did they do this? Especially for a part that has to be replaced so often.

My Honda Civic has 3 clips on the air filter box. I just use my fingers, pop the clips and it lifts right up. 2 minutes tops.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't thinks it's too difficult.
Some Torx head screws and loosening of a few things. Under ten minutes. At the most this would be done twice a year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not that it's difficult, it's just more difficult than it should be. Can't we just go back to the days of 1 wingnut right in the middle? :thumb:

·
Registered
754 Posts
on early lambdas- yes there is a cabin filter. behind the glove box.
then it went to a screen mesh filter.
finally NO filter at all. (09's and 10's).

theres reports from a couple of Enclave owners who claim their 2011's have filters...
were waiting for pics as proof....

as for the air filter(engine) I believe it is 50K.
Even out 2007 Impala is like this.
Last time I checked it (about 38K) the filter was still clean. Not pearly white.. but it was not super dirty like Ive seen some cars.

Ill check my traverse filter at 25K and go from there.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
rbarrios said:
as for the air filter(engine) I believe it is 50K.
Even out 2007 Impala is like this.
Last time I checked it (about 38K) the filter was still clean. Not pearly white.. but it was not super dirty like Ive seen some cars.

Ill check my traverse filter at 25K and go from there.
I've changed mine twice, 12k and 24k. I change more often because of the dusty climate I'm in.

No wonder I couldn't get my cabin filter to open. I had cleaned the on in my 07, but couldn't get the 09 apart. Now I know why. Stupid.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I checked mine a couple thousand miles ago and blew it out with an air compressor, it was'nt hardly dirty and we dont live in a dusty environment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use a K&N filter - check it more often in winter due to sand use on the roads.

Although more expensive than a paper element, it pays for itself over the course of time, since you clean it, re-oil, and you're done. And I don't over-oil it, which is the only knock against oil-impregnated cotton gauze filters such as K&N (over-oiling can cause the oil to bleed out of the filter, which could then contaminate the Mass Airflow Sensor).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Evening,

What size of Torx head do you need to remove the filter cover? Took a quick look...some of the screws are pretty obstructed and looks like I'll need an extension of some sort.

Any tips / suggestions?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the info and the thread.

I gave it a try via the method outlined in the owners manual that claims you can do this without removing the hose....I was able to get the old filter out but found it quite difficult to get the filter back in this way so I disconnected the hose as others have done.

I've attached a photo of the old and new filter side by side, at 74,000km. The condition of the original filter wasn't too bad except for plant and insect material in it.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
That doesn't look bad at all. I have read that air filters filter more efficiently after they get some particles trapped.

Just for kicks, anybody know the shop labor rate to replace the air filter?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just for fun, showing the second Air Filter change @ 162,000km I did today. Still not too bad but seems dirtier than the first change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts