Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Tech Section folk,

I am doing this for a co-worker who is a single mother of four. She owns the Saturn Outlook in question, a 2007 model. She has received some really bad advice regarding the Saturn being stuck in park (meaning the shifter will not move out of park with the brake on and ignition on, as per normal) and has been informed several times that the problem is IN the transmission. I flatly disagree. She stopped for groceries and wasn't able to drive off. Transmissions don't die that quick.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What was your outcome?

For these kind of interlocks, there is usually an access point where a cap can be removed, a screwdriver or some flat bladed object (like a Popsicle stick) can be inserted to bypass the interlock and allow the car to be moved. Where is this access on a 2007 Outlook? After that, I will have to research where to get the interlock and actuator for it.

Many thanks!

Mark the Were-Rabbit

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't see any override for my 2008. The owners manual states if you cannot shift out of park, You may have a low voltage which is preventing the solenoid from releasing. But if the engine is running you had enough power to start.
When you press down on the brake and pressing the shift release, are you are hearing the click of the solenoid ?
I can hear the click with the ignition on and pressing the shift button. If you cannot hear the click, you may have a bad solenoid or bad switch.
As per owners manual:
1. Fully release the shift lever button.
2. While holding down the brake pedal, press the shift lever button again.
3. Move the shift lever to the desired position.
If this fails then call a tow truck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The solenoid get a signal from the BCM so I guess that if you hear the click when you press the shift release button and ignition on, but it doesn't move then there is something mechanical. If you don't hear a click, something electrical. Both the switch and solenoid are in center console with shifter. Switch is on left and solenoid is on the right.
First thing to check is if your brake lights come on when you press on the brake pedal. That would be the input to the BCM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts