Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat belt holster (the thing that you push the buckle into to secure the belt - I don't know what it's called!!) for the middle seat in the 3rd row doesn't work. The little one where the lap belt goes into is fine, but the other one that the rest of the seats have isn't. I can push the belt buckle in there, it clicks, but then it just comes right out.
Sorry if that was confusing! ^^^ I don't know how else to say it! Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has just over 60,000, and we bought it the first of this month. Not sure about the bumper to bumper tho....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it a DIY fix or do I need to take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
353 Posts
lkreykes said:
Is it a DIY fix or do I need to take it to a dealer?
I’m sorry to hear about the concerns you’re experiencing with your Outlook. I would suggest speaking to your dealership about this as they’re going to have the most familiarity with your vehicle. Would you please keep us updated on your progress?

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, I'll have the dealer look at it and I'll keep the progress posted. I bought it from a dealer in Tennessee when my ford freestyle forgot to prove it's reliability on vacation. I live in northern MI so I can't just take a little trip back down just to have a seatbelt fixed, not with the current gas prices, or can I bring it to any GM dealer??

·
Registered
396 Posts
There are specific Saturn Authorized dealers, you can find them here, but any GM dealer should be able to work on it.

I wonder if seat belts aren't covered by a special warranty. My Honda Odyssey had a lifetime warranty on seat belts, in fact when one of them developed a tear at maybe 175K, the dealer replaced it free. I would hope that GM would do the same for such a critical safety component.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Yes any GM dealer can and should work on any Saturn for warranty. However, when you buy used the dealer you bought it from will sometimes give you a 30 day x miles warranty and only that dealer will do the work. The only remaining warranty you would have from GM is the powertrain, if you got the same warranty I remember having which was 5y/100k. I would call the dealer you purchased from and ask them if they did give you a certified GM vehicle and if it came with a temp warranty. And if they did, can you take it to a local dealer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if they did then I have 5 days to get it done... You would think that they would do something like that for free. Or the dealer would have done that before we actually bought the car!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My front passenger side button just stopped working ... Going to have to swap it out.. Anyone have a part#/source?
2007 Outlook XR FWD

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still have not gotten it fixed and I'm afraid that the dealer will charge a lot so is it particularily a DIY fix?? Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I still have not gotten it fixed and I'm afraid that the dealer will charge a lot so is it particularily a DIY fix?? Thanks

You didn't take the advice given about checking to see if there was any type of special warranty covering seat belts like someone suggested? Instead of making a quick phone call or two, or stopping in at a GM dealership to find out, you are now afraid the dealer is going to charge a lot.

Try this advice in this order

1) Check with a GM dealership (call or stop in) to find out if there are any special seat belt warranties which might cover it

2) If there are no warranties, find out how much the dealer will charge to fix/repair it. This will let you know for sure if it's "a lot"

3) If it's "a lot", find out the part number of the defective piece and check prices on line for discounted GM parts

4) Check with "salvage" yards (aka junk yards) and see if you can get the part there for less cost than the GM price. There is a member on the Acadia board who is also a sponsor, Schram. They are a very large late model salvage yard in Michigan and have a large inventory of GM parts at fair prices.

5) If you are at all handy, this shouldn't be too difficult of a job to do yourself. You will need the proper tool to remove the harness (usually a Torx bit, which is a star shaped design). The harness should just unbolt once you find where it is attached to the floor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...ok i will. sorry, i have been busy and completely forgot about the advice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It really should be a simple job to do. The bolts are usually pretty tight and may even have some type of thread lock on them. I've been able to break them loose using a breaker bar and sometimes a torque enhancer (cheater bar :D).

They have to go back just as tight, since you are talking safety in case of an accident and the force exerted on them if they are in use at the time. I haven't looked on the lambdas yet, but I don't think getting to the bolt on the floor will be too difficult, even if you have to remove the seat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice, but i think ill let the dealer do it :) , i dont care how much they'll charge (if they'll charge) since its a safety feature...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same issue with my seat belts, and I took it to the dealer and impressed upon them that I have children and was not going to let a safety issue like this go by. They took care of it at no charge. I don't know if they were just being nice, or if it was their obligation, but either way it got fixed. Maybe you could do the same.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a local GM dealer replace it for $130 including labor no questions asked. I am happy with the results!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm a little confused as to how the vehicle was sold. Was this vehicle sold "AS IS" or was this vehicle sold with a safety certificate? In my area, if you go to put a car on the road, you have to provide a "cert" that the vehicle meets minimum safety requirements. i.e. Working brakes, functional headlights, signal lights, etc. That said, it goes without saying that you have to have fully functioning seatbelts as that's part of the *safety* equipment of the vehicle.

I don't know if this applies within your area. If it does, and the dealer provided the safety certificate, then the selling dealer certainly should do rightful thing and either fix the problem with the seat belt or cover the cost of such repair. You may want to consider calling the selling dealer and discussing the issue with them and ask them to reimburse you for the repair. You never know, they may cover 100% or a portion of the cost.

If it was sold "AS IS" or with no safety certificate, then you likely are on your own for the repair.

Good that you got the seat belt buckle fixed though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts