Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took mine in. Recall was performed.
Info- 2010 Traverse with 2nd row bench seat. VIN # obviously fell in the Vin range.
Dropped off at 630 am. Picked up after work.

I looked it over and I could not see any work done. Several minutes later- Im thinking that it was 'OK' and nothing was done. So I read over the work order and it said
"Recall #N100243
2nd Row safety belt interference when seat back returned to upright position.
Per Recall # N100243 R&R both 2nd row trim shields and modify as per instructions on SI. OK after repairs"

So I go back and im looking around- especially where I thought the problem existed. No luck.
Finally- I Moved the seats and looked around- and bingo found the areas the cut out/shaved off.
Actually--- No one will notice this- I had trouble looking for it- and I WAS looking for it.

heres the issue...
When folded I can see the buckle hitting the plastic trim in some cases.
Here I am pushing down the buckle. Note it fits neatly in the area that previously had a piece of trim plastic.

Same thing on the opposite side.

With the seat in the slid forward position- looking down-- you can see the modification.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Okay is it just me but that looks pretty tacky and a cheap way to fix their problem.

Sorry but I call it as I see it. :mad:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
due to some confusion and request..--- heres some more detailed pics- it really is not noticeable.

looking from the front seats-- to the rear seats... the mods are deep into the area the arrow is pointing.

from the 3rd row-- looking to the back of the 2nd row- you cant see the mod.

passenger side seat folded forward-- driver side not moved--- the modified area remains out of sight- behind the trim piece.

drivers side seat folded forward and passenger seat not moved--- modded trim not visible.

In order for me to take pics of the modded areas- I had to.
fold a seat (and it slides forward because of the spring action)- then go to the other side- and fold the seat- it also springs forwards- and then PURPOSELY slide the seat back without folding it back into position... this finally exposing the modded area- How many of us will actually do this? rarely. If youre not looking for it- youre not going to see it.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thanks for the pics r :thumb:. No notice for me yet .I think I'm out of the woods :-\

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sailfish said:
Okay is it just me but that looks pretty tacky and a cheap way to fix their problem.

Sorry but I call it as I see it. :mad:
I agree. Sure, that's only exposed when the seat is moved forward, but that's the whole point of that trim piece - to make that area look good when the seat is folded.

I can't see how this is a safety issue either. So what if that trim piece pushes the seat belt button while the seat is folded forward? How an it possibly be a problem while the seat is down in the 'sitting' position? I must be missing something. I'll have to go look at my Saturn.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the actual issue is-- that over time-- this contact between the 2 parts may cause damage...
From reading the recall notice--- there are times- and under certain circumstances-- where the person moving the seat BACK UP-- where the buckle is somehow stuck--- would cause the seat back to be hard to put back--- the person would apply more force to bring the seat back up (forcefully)...
this extra force- could damage the buckles outer case.
It could damage the case in such a way-- that it would make a seatbelt that is buckled to appear to be buckled-- BUT with the right force (like an accident)--- could cause the belt to fail (give way and release).

No actual incidents have been reported of this happening-
But there was a few cases where they noticed slightly damaged buckles in vehicles that were returned (I guess Leasing??)-- but no actual customers returned to dealers complaining.

After the repair- I sat there- and moved the seats around and the buckle around to see where and how this could be a problem.
Eventually- by holding the buckle down-- keeping it from springing back up-- was I able to see a POTENTIAL problem.
But I mean-- I had to hold it down--- I can see this happening if a kids toy falls into that hole etc...

But the cutting away of that trim- really cant be seen by most people.
I really had to look and snap the pics.
Ive yet to see pics of the mod on captain chairs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, I looked at mine and figured it out. If, when the seat is folded forward for 3rd row access, the seat belt is pushed down to where they trimmed that plastic, it will stay down there. When you push the seat back to the sitting position, if it stays there it can get trapped inside the seat. I guess that's when it gets damaged.

I was able to make it happen, but I had to hold it there. The motion of the seat would tend to jar it loose so it pops up. It did make the seat hard to fold.

Haven't made my appointment yet.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
salguod said:
Yeah, I looked at mine and figured it out. If, when the seat is folded forward for 3rd row access, the seat belt is pushed down to where they trimmed that plastic, it will stay down there. When you push the seat back to the sitting position, if it stays there it can get trapped inside the seat. I guess that's when it gets damaged.

I was able to make it happen, but I had to hold it there. The motion of the seat would tend to jar it loose so it pops up. It did make the seat hard to fold.

Haven't made my appointment yet.
Yup-- thats the scenario I saw- after playing around with it a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts