Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Service airbag light comes on when passenger shifts position in seat. Passenger airbag sensor
is what I've read is the problem. Anyone aware of a extended warranty issued for this problem? I've read online that
there might be coverage till 120,000 miles? That would be great because I am about to turn 120,000

·
Registered
46 Posts
There is a service recall for the airbag sensor in the passenger seat. If I remember correctly, it had to do with the connectors corroding and faulting. The original recall fix was to get rid of the connection and hardwire everything. Give your dealer a call and have them look up your VIN to see if this work has been done already.

I bought my '08 Outlook XE in September of 2013. The Carfax didn't list any recalls being performed, and the vehicle was in great condition. This past spring the Service Passenger Airbag message started showing up. I found the bulletin for the recall and took it into my local dealer. They looked it up, and the service had already been performed. They offered to look into the problem, but it would cost me a diagnostics fee ($70, IIRC). I consented, and went on my merry way while they tore into the car. They found that the actual seat sensor was faulty. The sensor is designed to turn on the airbag when a passenger that weighs more than 50 lbs. is seated. If the sensor is faulty, it is programmed to default into the off position. My dealer quoted me $800 to replace the sensor. The part alone was pricey, but the bill ran to $800 due to the labor hours to tear the seat apart. I didn't have the money at the time, so I elected to hold off. The sensor will work at times, and then fault at other times. It's pretty random. This could be what is happening to you. I've thought about finding an electrical engineer who could bypass the sensor and have the system be set to always on, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Surgeries and pregnancy costs derailed the funds for the fix this year.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts