Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a month or so, my '08 Outlook has randomly been giving me the "Service Airbag" message. This usually happens when my wife is the passenger seat. When the recall was announced, I figured I had a way to get this fixed without an out of pocket expense. However, my VIN was not included in the recall, so no dice. I then PM'd the GM Customer Service on the forum, and she said that special warranty 10335 covers the airbag faulty connectors, so I took the car into the dealer today. Turns out the faulty connectors had already been replaced, and the DIC message wasn't coming from the wiring or the connectors. The Passenger Presence Sensor has failed, and it is causing the passenger airbags to default to the off mode because it can't tell if the passenger is over the 50 pound limit. The dealer quoted me $800 to replace the sensor, and said the part alone is $530. She also said she's never seen a case of this before, and can't find a history of it being very common on GM's service site. Awesome! ::)

So, my question is has anyone here had this problem come up? I'm over the standard warranty period, and the extended warranty I purchased is only a power train warranty. I don't like the idea of riding around without the passenger airbag operable, but my wife laughed at the suggestion of paying to fix it. Anyone know how difficult it would be to attempt to tackle this myself? I'm not a mechanical expert, but I wouldn't consider myself a novice either. But I don't know how eager I am to tear apart the seat either...

·
Registered
155 Posts
The part about it never happening before is BS....had the same issue on my 2008, lucky for me it was under warranty.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the pad going bad- doesnt occur 'often' but it does happen.
So why they dont know about it is --- iffy.

You dont say what dealer you took it too... but you can take it to any chevy/GMC/Buick dealer.

Also---- try looking for that pad online...
then have them do the work..

OR- you can do it yourself.. (take seat apart etc) BUT-- be warned- that once its installed-- it does have to be calibrated using the GM TECH II scan tool.

·
Registered
754 Posts
had to look up the part under GMC ACADIA.
should be identical part.

[ 19 ] BODY HARDWARE / SEATS & TRACKS / FRONT SEAT COMPONENTS / Occupant module
occupant module PASSENGER SIDE SEAT, W/O POWER SEAT Right
PARTS: Part included with seat assembly. Order by application.
MSRP Online Price
$533.33 $332.80

w/shipping $421

though go online and double check part #

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rbarrios said:
the pad going bad- doesnt occur 'often' but it does happen.
So why they dont know about it is --- iffy.

You dont say what dealer you took it too... but you can take it to any chevy/GMC/Buick dealer.

Also---- try looking for that pad online...
then have them do the work..

OR- you can do it yourself.. (take seat apart etc) BUT-- be warned- that once its installed-- it does have to be calibrated using the GM TECH II scan tool.
I took the car into Young Buick/GMC in Layton, UT. They've always been good to work with, and my dad went to high school with the owners. Some of their salesman are questionable, but their service department has always treated me well (throwing in discounts and such). I'll check with a couple other dealers in the Salt Lake valley to get an idea if their price quote is reasonable.

Thanks for your help posting the part list. I tried a couple of sites before seeing your post, but none were listing the passenger presence sensor. Do many dealerships let you bring in your own parts for install? I know the motorcycle shops I've dealt with wouldn't do it due to liability issues.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Happened to my 09 Outlook also, they had to take the seat apart to fix it. They are full of BS. Mine happened in warranty and was fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts