Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I changed the steering rack in my '09 AWD XR over the weekend. After getting everything all put back together and taking it for a test drive, the Service Stabilitrak/Service Teactin Control messages came up immediately, ans the Stabilitrak/Traction Control shut down automatically.

I took it to our local Firestone yesterday to get it aligned, because they aligned it for me after I replaced the struts a couple years ago and did a fine job. When I picked it up, the guy said they weren't able to get it completely aligned, and that it still pulled to the left a little. He said they would need to drill the struts out to get it fully aligned, which seemed odd, since I did nothing at all this time to anything other than the rack. Why were the struts a problem suddenly, when I did nothing to anything other than the rack, and it had plenty of adjustability left at the tie rod ends?

Anyway, drove it home, definitely still pulling left a little, with the steering wheel off center, and the Stabilitrak/Traction Control messages still coming up. Took it to O'Reilly and had it scanned, coming up with a C0710 code, steering position sensor. From what I read, that code can come up when the steering wheel is not in alignment with the wheels, in other words, wheels straight ahead, but steering wheel off center. To test it, I started the car in my driveway abd, doing nothing, the messages would never appear. If I crank the wheel all the way left, still nothing, but if I turn it 1-1.5 turn right, the messages pop up, so it is not dependant on being in motion. I did kerp the steering wheel locked in a centered positioned while I had it disconnected, so it couldn't have spun freely when I had it disconnected from the rack.

I'm taking it back to Firestone Wednesday because , frankly, I think the tech who worked on it probably didn't really know what he was doing, as evidence by the fact he twisted the heck out of the boots on the brand new rack, and couldn't be bothered to straighten them back out.

I guess I'm looking for confirmation I'm on the right path here, that getting it properly aligned, and the steering wheel properly aligned with the wheels, should clear this code?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just talked to my son, who I had move the steering wheel back and forth so I could line up the linkage with the input shaft on the gear. He said he thought he turned the wheel a full 1-1.5 times, but I just don't think that's possible. There is no way I saw the linkage turn even one full time, it really wasn't much. There isn't any kind of gear reduction going on within the steering colum itself, right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update, for posterity sake.

Took it back to Firestone, they were apologetic for the bad job the prior guy did, and got it all aligned just right.

The stabilitrak shutting off automatically persisted though, shutting down after turning the wheel about 30-45 degrees to the right, even when sitting still in park, it would not do this turning the whhel to the left. Did some research, pulled the steering wheel, rotated the clock spring one full rotation counter clockwise, put it back together, tried it out, FIXED! Probably didn't even take 45 minutes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts