Saturn Outlook Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
2008 XR w approx. 48,000 miles and this exact issue just happened today when my wife turned her car on today... I'm going to check the brake fluid as a few have suggested and post later.

Hopefully one of the GM customer service reps can help out and provide some insight for a known issue where I won't be expected to pay a dealer for a faulty GM design flaw. As someone said earlier, at the $35,000 price level I'm a bit disappointed.

The REAL problem here (at least in my case) is that my vehicle had a cracked steering column after 6 months, then some of the A/C and radio buttons started wearing down, then the steering wheel started to make a high pitched "whirling" noise which I still can't resolve, then the rear liftgate struts blew out (twice w/in 12 months), then the "check airbag" error message occurred (however it was fixed since it was a known issue) and since day one the temperature control on the center console for the middle and back row seats always blows hot air in which I have to turn it off and on in order for it to blow cool air. I live in Miami and rarely ever need heat...

So as you can see, I'm very skeptical of buying another GM vehicle.

What next?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Forgot to add that front driver side large speaker doesn't work every now and then most likely due to a loose connection but it just adds to the list...

I hate to post this but just as a comparison, my 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE has only needed an exhaust fix bc the original resonator rusted after 4 years (since it was a common issue I was able to buy the parts and have a mechanic install for 1/4 dealer cost saving me $2000). I love that vehicle!

·
Registered
353 Posts
agmaustin said:
I have the exact same issue on my 2008. The array of lights and dings started after waiting at a stop light while the vehicle was at an incline. I put a full canister of dot 3 brake fluid and the warning lights have been off after a full day of driving. I have 61,000 miles so wonder if it's normal to lose so much fluid under normal driving conditions? Probably a master cylinder leak. My power steering pump started making a bunch of noise 6 months ago and also topped off the reservoir, all good ever since. What's next...
I would be happy to look into this for you with more information. Please feel free to contact me privately with the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Saturn Outlook. The stabiltrak and break warning lights kept coming on and dinging every 5 or 10 minutes. No one at the dealership or local garage could tell why. I was told to check the break fluid, so I did. It was low. Sooo for about $7.00 I filled the break fluid and the problem has gone away. The dealerships will not tell you this because they want to charge you a ton of money and make it seem as if you will die in that car if you don't pay hundreds of dollars to get it fixed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same error message a while back. Service traction control, Service Stabiltrak and ck engine light. It turned out to be the MAP sensor. I think that error message that you see on the DIC is just a general warning and shouldn't be used for any diagnostic purposes, which is too bad because I think a lot of people do. I know even the dealer mechanic spent some time looking at the traction control system before they moved onto other systems.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Had an eventful morning. The oil change was finished and I headed home, down Edwin C. Moses Boulevard to get onto I-75, miss all the congestion downtown created by the seemingly non ending upgrading of the interstate.

As I drove up the on ramp to I-75 I stepped on the gas and....nothing...then it was okay and then...nothing. The tac went crazy swung way high and then dropped back again. I said my favorite word "F" and thought WTH. I then took the next exit off I-75 onto Springboro Pike and swung around back onto I-75.

I called Steve at Reichard and told him I was on my way back and what had happened and I also swear I heard a small backfire.

Yep the way it acted was exactly the way my 07 Outlook acted and they had to replace the timing chain and a crank shaft actuator that time. Then 45 days later the 07 Outlook acted the same way and they dropped the engine again and replaced 2 cylinder heads.

Steve hooked a meter up to the Enclave to see if he could pull an error code but nothing was showing. For the life of me I don't know why I didn't call OnStar and ask if they had any error code showing. Not sure what to do we are to head out of town, driving, and now I am kind of leery. Steve said to run the heck out of it the next few days so that is what I am planning on doing when we head to Cincinnati later.

Keeping fingers crossed that it isn't the chain then again as I also had the same message traction control and stabilitrack on the Outlook. now there are other issues with the transmissions in the 07-10 model year of the Enclave/Acadia/Traverse/Outlook where the 3-5-R wave plates shatter. Now that would really piss me off because my 11 was built in Nov 10 and as Steve said he was hoping the build on mine was after they made changes to the wave plate.

I think Steve is keeping his fingers/toes/eyes crossed for me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Awe man, Sailfish!!!! :eek: Please, let me know how things are going while you are driving the heck out of it. You know where to find me if you need me, but I hope things will go smoothly! I hope you have a safe trip!

How are the boys? :)

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
GM Customer Service said:
Awe man, Sailfish!!!! :eek: Please, let me know how things are going while you are driving the heck out of it. You know where to find me if you need me, but I hope things will go smoothly! I hope you have a safe trip!

How are the boys? :)

Thanks Michelle we decided to head out on vacation anyway. Keeping fingers and toes crossed until we return home.

The boys are doing fabulous although they are in, as I like to call the kennel, doggie daycare.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife and I purchased a 2008 Outlook XR used a couple of months ago and now it is starting to give us these warning lights. The car seems to be driving fine, and the Check Engine Light isn't staying on constantly, it comes on for a minute and then goes back off. It did this twice yesterday and twice today. After reading all of these stories, I am almost tempted to just trade it in before things really do start to go wrong. :'( We love the car and hate to get rid of it, but I want my wife to feel comfortable driving the kids to school and we wanted a newer, reliable vehicle for vacations (her previous SUV was a 2001).

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Tobyus, I can understand the uneasiness you and your wife might be getting from these warning lights. Have you had the vehicle to a place that could hook it up to a computer to see if it has stored any codes to see what this is pertaining to? This might help put your minds at ease.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Michelle, we are going to take it tonight to see if we can find out what the code is. The Check Engine Light is staying on all the time now. We only have 66,000 miles on it, would it still be under the Powertrain warranty?

Edit: Just had the code read. Cylinder 1 misfire, happened twice at idle while in park.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If it is the ignition coil, they are not covered under the powertrain warranty so your on you own as that is probably the problem causing the misfire. Dealer might be able to get some good will coverage.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We swapped the ignition coil from what we believe is cylinder 1 with the ignition coil for cylinder 4 and cleared the error code to see if the next time the Check Engine light came on if it would misfire in a different cylinder. If it did then that should mean it was the ignition coil that was bad, otherwise it is probably the spark plug.

Well, the light came on again and it was still Cylinder 1. Does anyone have a diagram showing which cylinder is #1 so we can be sure we picked the right one?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tobyus,

Doing a Google search for 2008 Outlook 3.6 liter firing order I found the following:

The firing order is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6

Standing in front of your vehicle, reading passenger side to driver's side, the bank nearest the radiator is numbered 1, 3 & 5

The rear bank nearest the firewall is numbered 2, 4 & 6, again passenger side to driver's side.

:thumb:

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Jim! If that is correct, then we may have swapped the wrong ignition coil, and there may still be a chance that that is the problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, according to the numbering that Jim described on the cylinders, we swapped the Ignition Coil from Cylinder 1 to Cylinder 3 last night and this morning the code was still P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire). So, time to replace spark plugs I guess?

Do you really have to take off the Intake Manifold to change the Spark Plugs? I know that Cylinders 4 & 6 are tucked back in there and are going to be hard to get to... If so, I wonder how much would a GM dealer charge for changing them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tobyus,

Did another google search on changing spark plugs and came across this link:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_change_the_spark_plugs_on_a_2008_GMC_Acadia

Didn't mention pulling the intake manifold off.

One additional I would do is take lots of digital pictures before you touch it, and then as you disassemble take more pics. Will go a long way to putting her all back the way she was. If you have compressed air at your disposal, be sure and blow out the surrounding area of each plug BEFORE you wrench any plugs off.

Hope this helps in your wrenchin'.

:thumb:

Jim
In God We Trust!

41 - 60 of 136 Posts