Saturn Outlook Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I gave in... I took it in to the dealer, and after having it for about 8 hours they said that it was a bad ignition coil. I still don't believe that because we swapped every coil to a different cylinder. As soon as I pick it up I'll find out how much it cost... I had specifically asked them not to replace anything without calling me first so I could find out how much it would cost and decide if I could do it myself. (I would have easily been able to put in a new coil...)

I hope they don't try to charge me $500 for a $60 part.

Update: That didn't fix it, as I expected, and there went $211 down the drain. Is it standard procedure for GM dealerships to ignore their customers requests and replace parts without checking with the customer first to see if they mind?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Tobyus said:
Well, I gave in... I took it in to the dealer, and after having it for about 8 hours they said that it was a bad ignition coil. I still don't believe that because we swapped every coil to a different cylinder. As soon as I pick it up I'll find out how much it cost... I had specifically asked them not to replace anything without calling me first so I could find out how much it would cost and decide if I could do it myself. (I would have easily been able to put in a new coil...)

Update: That didn't fix it, as I expected, and there went $211 down the drain. Is it standard procedure for GM dealerships to ignore their customers requests and replace parts without checking with the customer first to see if they mind?
Not all GM dealerships mind mine will not change any parts until I am informed as to exactly what is needed to be done. I am sorry to hear of your problem as well as with your dealership. I have been using my local GMC/Buick dealership for repair work since June 2010. First on my 07 Outlook, now on the 11 Enclave and just recently on my 03 VUE. I had the VUE into them twice the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
kingtony said:
Took back to dealer today and the check engine light cam on also, then they all went out before getting to the dealer.They said the codes were still in the history just not active. DTC U0073 "control Module off line".....High speed line may need to be inspected for chaffing if DTC returns.

Bottom Line- This vehicle is a money pit

Oh well here we go again, the service traction control, stabilitrack light coming on and off again.........Wife almost runs through an intersection because the brake pedal made a clicking sound then fell to the floor, went from a power brake system to manual brake system.....Dealership just replaced the master cylinder and brake booster about a month ago..........This vehicle has gone from money pit to down right dangerous!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
@kingtony, I want to set up a case with General Motors about this. I’ll send you a private message requesting the information I’ll need to get going on this.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
40 Posts
Now after having the Outlook in to the dealership again, a new noise has started up. Sounds like a whine from the power steering, but after driving for a while when you come to a stop it sounds like something is grinding....

Original misfire problem still hasn't been resolved either. When does a car qualify as a lemon?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Tobyus said:

Did the dealership connect their OBDII machine to the vehicle? I am thinking throttle body isn't communicating with the gas pedal correctly

·
Registered
40 Posts
AA/78U said:
Did the dealership connect their OBDII machine to the vehicle? I am thinking throttle body isn't communicating with the gas pedal correctly
I would hope they did... What makes you think that could be the problem? Wouldn't that affect the responsiveness when I press the gas pedal? I've not noticed any issues with the engine responding when I press the pedal, just misfiring when the engine has been sitting for several hours and it is worse the colder it is. On warmer days it may not misfire at all, but I won't know for several months whether that is actually the case. I know that it misfires less on days when it has been in the 50's vs when it is in the 30's.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My 07 Acadia gave the same warnings but I was also encountering the engine going into reduced power mode. Have you seen that warning appear? Just trying to put some ideas out there since your issue seems to be lingering without a fix

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought a Bluetooth OBD II scanner and used an Android app called Torque to read sensor information and fault codes. During the misfiring one of the gauges reports that it has gone from "Open loop due to insufficient temperature" to "Open loop due to system failure". The former sounds normal since the engine is warming up and the oxygen sensors may not be warmed up enough yet to go into closed loop, but the system failure status has me wondering, what system failed? If I clear the codes, the engine immediately starts running smoothly and the O2 sensors voltages start reporting normal ranges (during the system failure status, the O2 sensors are showing almost 0 volts constantly).

I uploaded a video to youtube of the readings I was getting from Torque, if anybody is interested:
Youtube Video

·
Registered
40 Posts
I took our Outlook back to the dealer this morning and they said they found 2 TSB's related to this issue. They said they Reprogrammed the ECU and put dielectric grease on/around the ignition coil and spark plug (at least I think that's what they said). They also topped off the Power Steering fluid at my request because it seemed very low (hoping this solves the new noise). They said that if this doesn't fix the misfire problem they will replace the computer free of charge. I had my doubts about this dealership at first because they performed a service without my authorization, but now I truly think they are trying to make things right and have not charged me for a single service since that incident, so they are growing on me quickly :)

I'll post the outcome as soon as I get to start it cold again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dealer interaction and customer service can be the fine line between a good experience and a bad experience. The fact that they haven't charged you anything is one sign they are trying to fix your problem. Let us know what the final "good" fix is

·
Registered
40 Posts
AA/78U said:
Dealer interaction and customer service can be the fine line between a good experience and a bad experience. The fact that they haven't charged you anything is one sign they are trying to fix your problem. Let us know what the final "good" fix is
Yep, I think they are starting to listen to me and I think they are really trying now. Unfortunately, neither of the things they did today fixed the problem. After letting the Outlook sit for about 7 hours, it misfired again. Not a ton, but it may have been still a little warm from driving it this morning. After warming up for a few minutes it ran great, but that is normal. The misfires only occur when the engine is cold...

Edit:
I bought the pro version of Torque and this was the freeze frame data it pulled this morning:
Freeze frame information:
------------------
Fuel Status = 0 byte
Engine Load = 42.353 %
Engine Coolant Temperature = 28 °C
Fuel Trim Bank 1 Short Term = 0 %
Fuel Trim Bank 1 Long Term = -7.031 %
Fuel Trim Bank 2 Short Term = 0.781 %
Fuel Trim Bank 2 Long Term = -4.688 %
Intake Manifold Pressure = 6.382 psi
Engine RPM = 958 rpm
Speed (OBD) = 0 km/h
Timing Advance = 3 °
Intake Air Temperature = 12 °C
Mass Air Flow Rate = 9.87 g/s
Throttle Position(Manifold) = 27.843 %
Run time since engine start = 57 s
Fuel Level (From Engine ECU) = 36.078 %
Distance travelled since codes cleared = 39 km
Evap System Vapour Pressure = -40.5 Pa
Barometric pressure (from vehicle) = 14.214 psi
Catalyst Temperature (Bank 1,Sensor 1) = 98 °C
Catalyst Temperature (Bank 2,Sensor 1) = 98 °C
Voltage (Control Module) = 14.517 V
Engine Load(Absolute) = 28.235 %
Commanded Equivalence Ratio(lambda) = 0.951
Relative Throttle Position = 13.725 %
Ambient air temp = 12 °C
Absolute Throttle Position B = 27.843 %
Accelerator PedalPosition D = 18.824 %
Accelerator PedalPosition E = 9.02 %

New Youtube Video from when this freeze frame occurred:
Youtube Video

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dealer said compression in cylinder #1 was very low. They are going to start taking it apart tomorrow to determine the reason. Thankfully it is under the power train warranty still.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Outlook and have recently had my steering wheel off. Afterwards I now have a "Service stabilitrac " light come on and system is off.
I know there is a steering sensor in the column under the steering wheel somewhere but we never went near any of that.
Can anyone shed some light on this. Is it a coincidence or did I disturb something?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just the Service stabilitrac message . No check engine light on. Lot of stuff involved in this system so maybe I damaged the column sensor. Wonder were I could get a testing procedure for it?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I Know that severe carbon buildup can cause cold engine misfires on the DI version of the 3.6.

·
Registered
40 Posts
rbarrios said:
I Know that severe carbon buildup can cause cold engine misfires on the DI version of the 3.6.
There was apparently quite a bit of carbon buildup, but after they cleaned those components and let it sit overnight it was still misfiring the next morning. So, it is still in the shop having exploratory open heart surgery...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealer. Under the guidance of a GM Engineer they are replacing the cylinder head. I really hope this does it. I am afraid they are going to find out it was just the EGR valve or an Oxygen sensor or something after all this. I am thankful that it is still under the power train warranty, cause I am afraid to ask how much all of this would have cost.

81 - 100 of 137 Posts