Saturn Outlook Forum banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Last night the dealer said that when they took the old cylinder head off, they found a broken valve spring. They think that was the cause of all of this. We should have it back this afternoon hopefully!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wow; a broken valve spring. I would agree that would cause a CEL and probably the other warnings as well

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, when they put it back together they said it was still running rough so they think they messed up the timing or something. So, it is going to be in the shop for several more days... :'(

If this thing was new, I think it would be approaching lemon eligibility.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Alright, I got it back yesterday! And the misfire appears to be gone! But....this morning the CEL came on again and this time it was P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2).

I haven't received the full write-up yet, but as far as I know the cause of all of this trouble was still the broken valve spring, which caused the cylinder head to be damaged so that head needed to be replaced.

If we have to have the catalytic converter replaced, at least it is under the emissions warranty!

I think it is safe to brag about my local dealership now. Reeder Chevrolet in Knoxville have been taking good care of us, and we didn't even buy the car from them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
104,000 miles and I got the dreaded traction control disabled light and message. Next start, I got the traction control disables and the service staibillitrack message. Ant the the CEL light came on. I checked the codes and it was P106 map sensor. Into the shop it went, He cleaned the mass air flow sensor but upon roadtesting, traction control disabled, came back. He had to replace the sensor and everything is fine so far. 2 trips to work and back and 150 miles no problems. He also did a tuneup for the 100k. hope all is well. :)
He did check on the wiring harness at the intake manifold and no problem there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
One more update, and hopefully the last. The dealership replaced the Bank 2 Catalytic Converter to resolve the P0430 fault. It was covered under the Emissions Warranty. The Outlook is running pretty well again, but it smells like a can of RAID Ant Killer every time it has been driven. I have no idea why or what could cause that smell, I am just hoping it dissipates over time and isn't a sign of something else going wrong...

Is $2200 too much for a 3 year B2B extended warranty from GM? Since I am pretty sure nothing has happened to the transmission yet, I am almost tempted to get the warranty just in case...before our power train warranty runs out in 6 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a 2008 AWD Outlook with 98,000 miles on it. I have had the transmission replaced a year and a half ago at 63,000 and just recently 4 months ago had the transmission rebuilt. Luckily, I am still under my powertrain warranty.

2 1/2 weeks ago in the middle of the week, my Servce traction control and stabilitrak messages started coming on and off while driving. It would turn off the traction control and then turn it back on. This happened over and over again. I also starting noticing engine noise while I was turning left. It was loud enough to hear over the radio. My change engine oil soon light also came on. My check engine light did not come on right away but it did a few days later. I was planning on calling the chevy dealership on Monday when they opened to get it in, but before I could I ran into other issues on Sunday. I was driving and was within a mile to my destination and the low oil pressure message came on and said to shut off my engine. The message disappeared as fast as it appeared. I continued on to my destination with no further problems. After the event was over, I started to leave but I could not get my car out of park. The car would start but it wouldn't release. I called aaa and they sent a flatbed towtruck. The guy thankfully was able to get it out of park. I didn't know otherwise how he was going to get it on the flatbed. I had him tow it to the chevy dealer. They told me the next day, Monday, that my car showed no oil on the dipstick which baffled me since he told me I don't have a leak. He told me my car used the oil which I didn't think happened unless there was a problem. I never had any indicator to add oil. I was told the issue with the traction control was that it needed and ungrade. They did the computer upgrade and cleared the codes and an oil change and said everything was fine.

Exactly a week later, this past Monday,my check engine light came on with no other messages. Tuesday it was gone, but it returned the Wednesday. I took it in on Thursday. I found out today that the timing chain is stretched and needs replaced. It is covered by the powertrain warranty and was able to get a rental car. I was told it was a couple of days job.

Is seems like they missed this the first time I took it in and discounted some of what I told them.

I have another issue that they don't seem concerned about but is bothering me. Ever since I got back my car after the transmission was rebuilt the antilock brakes kick in when I come off the freeway where there is a big curved ramp or enter on a big curved ramp. It obviously only happens when I have to brake which is everytime I use these ramps. These ramps I use to get to work and to go home from work. I have been driving these ramps for 16 years and the last 4 1/2 with the car and have never had this issue before. Does anybody have any idea what it would be. I am worried that there is a problem that could be dangerous as well as cost me lots of money as I am almost out of my powertrain warranty and extended warranty.

Sorry about the long post.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yikes, your story makes me want to put our Outlook up for sale while it isn't having any issues. The anti-lock brake issue would probably not be related to the power train and wouldn't be covered anyways. It does sound like it could be a dangerous problem to leave unchecked though. I wonder if it could be a sensitivity thing with the computer or if one of your wheels may be braking more than the others causing the abs to compensate. Are you breaking hard or going relatively fast around the curve when this happens? I tend to do my braking before I enter the turn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If I could get out of my car I would. I unfortunately financed it over 7 1/2 years and at present time owe more than it is worth. I also just recently had the air conditioning fixed. They had to replace 2 lines that were leaking. Luckily that was covered under my extended warranty and I only had to pay the $100 deductible. I also had the passanger side air bag fixed but GM only fixed the 2 codes covered with the letter they sent out which by the way never mentioned only coverage of 2 codes. The other 2 codes I had to pay for which cost me around $1,000.

The anti-lock brakes could be covered by my extended warranty though which ends at 100,000 miles.

Could I go slower sure but I don't think it is anything excessive. I have been doing this with this car for 4 1/2 years with no problems. I'm not sure how fast I am going and won't know until I get my car back. It is necessary to brake in both situations as after the turn coming off the freeway there is a light with most likely back up and getting on the freeway the lane merges with another so breaking is necessary. I must not these turns are exits and entrances to a downtown area so the ramps are not as long as is the case for newer ramps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ahhh, yeah, we have some older cloverleaf exits like that around here. Thankfully most of them merge with traffic at the end rather than having a traffic light. Sorry to hear about all of your troubles, please don't tell me there's more.... I have the same year and trim Outlook.

Since you are the original owner, I wonder if there any kind of lemon laws that might apply considering the number of issues you have had, some multiple times and very close to the time the warranty is expiring?

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, nothing else. I think that is pretty much everything after 60,000 miles. Before that it was just minor stuff that was usually covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. I don't remember anything major. I also had a quiet year to a year and a half after my first transmission was replaced before all of this started this past summer. I am worried now though considering everything seems to be going wrong right after another. Unfortunately the lemon law is only for the beginning life of the car. I think the first $15,000 miles or so. I never dreamed I would have this much trouble with a Saturn. This is my 3rd Saturn I have owned all as the original owner. I had a 1998 SC2 and a 2002 Vue before this. I never had major problems with either of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got a call from the dealer this morning, they will have my car until Wednesday or Thursday. They said they have to replace the timing chain, guides and maybe cylinder. They would know more once they get into it. All of this is covered under the powertrain warranty. Thankgoodness I have had my car for 4 1/2 years and have 98,300 miles on it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@crewfan20, how are things going with the Outlook?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been keeping up with all these threads and now i have a new one. I am having the same issue with my 2008 Outlook with the Stabilitrak and Traction control cautions but i am getting a Chk Eng Lt with codes p202, p204 p206 and p300. the whole left side of the motor seems to be offline and engine shakes pretty good. i have replaced all 6 spark plugs, swapped coil packs from left side to right side. i have also swapped injectors from left side to right side and read out injector harness with a meter. still having the same issue and the curious thing is i can clear the codes with the tool and the engine will run good for about 10 seconds then start to run crappy again. Also i can clear the codes with enmgine on and not running and if i leave the ignition on the codes will come right back without ever starting the engine. i would appreciate any ideas on this one. I am a pretty saavy with cars and trucks but this one has me stumped.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had the same issues last year. I took it to MY Mechanic not the dealer. He found the root cause was Mass air Flow Sensor. He cleaned it but upon road testing found that it wasn't good enough. He had to replace it. Worked good for a year, got messages again. I replaced Sensor, after 10 starts, problems went away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
crewfan20 said:
I own a 2008 AWD Outlook with 98,000 miles on it. I have had the transmission replaced a year and a half ago at 63,000 and just recently 4 months ago had the transmission rebuilt. Luckily, I am still under my powertrain warranty.

2 1/2 weeks ago in the middle of the week, my Servce traction control and stabilitrak messages started coming on and off while driving. It would turn off the traction control and then turn it back on. This happened over and over again. I also starting noticing engine noise while I was turning left. It was loud enough to hear over the radio. My change engine oil soon light also came on. My check engine light did not come on right away but it did a few days later. I was planning on calling the chevy dealership on Monday when they opened to get it in, but before I could I ran into other issues on Sunday. I was driving and was within a mile to my destination and the low oil pressure message came on and said to shut off my engine. The message disappeared as fast as it appeared. I continued on to my destination with no further problems. After the event was over, I started to leave but I could not get my car out of park. The car would start but it wouldn't release. I called aaa and they sent a flatbed towtruck. The guy thankfully was able to get it out of park. I didn't know otherwise how he was going to get it on the flatbed. I had him tow it to the chevy dealer. They told me the next day, Monday, that my car showed no oil on the dipstick which baffled me since he told me I don't have a leak. He told me my car used the oil which I didn't think happened unless there was a problem. I never had any indicator to add oil. I was told the issue with the traction control was that it needed and ungrade. They did the computer upgrade and cleared the codes and an oil change and said everything was fine.

Exactly a week later, this past Monday,my check engine light came on with no other messages. Tuesday it was gone, but it returned the Wednesday. I took it in on Thursday. I found out today that the timing chain is stretched and needs replaced. It is covered by the powertrain warranty and was able to get a rental car. I was told it was a couple of days job.

Is seems like they missed this the first time I took it in and discounted some of what I told them.

I have another issue that they don't seem concerned about but is bothering me. Ever since I got back my car after the transmission was rebuilt the antilock brakes kick in when I come off the freeway where there is a big curved ramp or enter on a big curved ramp. It obviously only happens when I have to brake which is everytime I use these ramps. These ramps I use to get to work and to go home from work. I have been driving these ramps for 16 years and the last 4 1/2 with the car and have never had this issue before. Does anybody have any idea what it would be. I am worried that there is a problem that could be dangerous as well as cost me lots of money as I am almost out of my powertrain warranty and extended warranty.

Sorry about the long post.
I feel like you took the words right out of my mouth!! We have had the exact same problems you have had and received ZERO assistance from GM!!! When we initially bought this car with around 32K miles on it, I had it into our dealership on a few different occasions for the "service stabilitrak" and "check engine" light. Each time we brought it in, they assured us it was taken care of, only to have the same thing happen a few days later. Eventually, the dealer just told me that it is a sensor issue and that it will not cause any damage to continue driving it. So, over the past several years we just lived with the occasional light issue.

In December of 2013 we had to get a totally new transmission at just 72K miles....to the tune of $3700!!! Now, we started having issues again with the flashing lights and buzzers again. We also started experiencing some rough riding and whenever we put gas in our car, we had to punch the accelerator to get it to start. Because we called GM and were told that even though we are below 100,000 miles, that our warranty expired in February 2013. So, we decided to take our car back to the shop that replaced the transmission. After several days of running diagnostics and replacing the spark plugs and still having the same problem...the deduced that it was their opinion we should replace the engine!!!! Replace the ENGINE!!! To the bargain price of $7,700!!!! So, rather than just taking it up the butt, we decided to get a second opinion from a very reputable mechanic! That mechanic kept our car for over a week and ran test after test after test...conversed with many other mechanics and researched every possible site he could to try and figure out the problem. He tried replacing the fuel injector...still continued to get misfires and flashing lights. He felt that the vehicle was driving ok and, while completely frustrated and embarrassed that he was unable to figure out the problem, he suggested we just drive it for a while and see what happens!

So, today, the lights starting flashing incessantly and it ran a little rough!

I am at a complete lost!! This OBVIOUSLY is a constant problem for this vehicle and there doesn't seem to be any dealer or mechanic that can figure out the problem!! Meanwhile, we have spent close to $5000 in repairs to a car that has less than 100,000 miles on it in less than one year!!

I am beyond frustrated!! GM does nothing to back up their crappy vehicles and have left their customers high and dry!! I have not hired an attorney at this time, but I feel like it is high time people consider filing a class action lawsuit!! It is evident that these vehicles all have major problems and are costing us more money than any vehicle should ever charge!!

If anyone has any suggestions as to what is the problem or has had success in getting this problem rectified indefinitely, please let me know! My girlfriend is dealing with the same problem and the dealer has not been able to determine the problem with their Outlook either!!

GRRRR!!!! Please help!!!!!! Someone!!!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
"We also started experiencing some rough riding and whenever we put gas in our car, we had to punch the accelerator to get it to start"

This is actually a $30 fix.
Search for Purge valve.
theres plenty of folks on here who have gotten the rough hard start after fueling up.
they replace the $30 part in a few minutes- and the issue is corrected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Having same issue with Stabilitrac and check engine light. Just had computer sensor repaired at dealer in December 2014 for $1400 and now Jan 2015 more issues. Have never had any major issues other than the recalls with vehicle. Love it overall but now thinking I may need to trade in or sell as dealer is asking 3k for repair. Code is P0300 STC. Misfire due to leaking compression cylinder #3. Has anyone else had this code? Is this a general code? Need help in determining. Thanks.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts