Saturn Outlook Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
It doesn't sound like a general code. It is specific to that cylinder. Did the mechanic tell you that that cylinder had low compression? Google it. Ap300 is a random misfire which my truck has had for a few years and has not caused any major problems. Recently it has not come up since I have had the to clear all the Stabilitrack and running lean codes. The cylinder compression is cause for concern.
The youtube video is not from your engine but it shows a very good diagnosis process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWd68bVm30

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dealer said it found STC P0300 misfire due to leaking compression in cylinder #3. quote 3300k. Someone suggested sound of issue get another opinion so got 2nd opinion at Pep Boys, they had like 3-4 more codes come up from running lean and did a tune up job changed bad spark plugs, fuel package, oil change, replace air filter package, they said vehicle running good and lights are off. Sign off pickup vehicle drive off and Stabilitrac and check engine lights going haywire again!!! Take vehicle right back speak with manager now come to review paperwork states customer was advised that vehicle has massive blow by found in oil air canister and they advised it has possible internal engine damage but not detected. They advised that vehicle cylinders have proper compression but possible that piston rings loosing compression. Vehicle is drivable and we are aware of taking vehicle as is $500 later! And popped and replaced by accident while driving over something one of my new tires! Taking back to get codes re-diagnosed. Now am at loss again and after spending another $500 on this vehicle ready to junk. I hate shopping for new car and need this spacious SUV I really do like it overall. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

electbc said:
It doesn't sound like a general code. It is specific to that cylinder. Did the mechanic tell you that that cylinder had low compression? Google it. Ap300 is a random misfire which my truck has had for a few years and has not caused any major problems. Recently it has not come up since I have had the to clear all the Stabilitrack and running lean codes. The cylinder compression is cause for concern.
The youtube video is not from your engine but it shows a very good diagnosis process.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My suggestion is to clean the air intake of all the oil and moisture and to replace the mass air flow sensor. That is what works on my truck. A new cartridge is 45 @ rockauto.com and whole assembly is like 90 or so. Advance auto is 130 with a 30 core deposit for the assembly. It is a shot in the dark but you spent a lot on it already. What's another 90?
I don't know what can solve the blow by of the oil in the air intake. I have been asking the GM Customer service people on this website for a month as to what is causing it and what we can do about it. So far no responses from them. Ours are not the only trucks with this issue. There are people on the Enclave and Acadia Forums with similar issues as well. What was that computer sensor back in December for $1400?

Equinox and Terrain have similar issues, here is a good explanation from someone with a Terrain.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14220716683188&key=2f100eafa4c29a481a2ffa7cc3414e75&libId=cb53e739-6300-48e8-99d9-74dff46ee78e&loc=http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?action=pm&v=1&ref=http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?board=1.0&title=running lean both banks code /w random stabil track issue.&txt=http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14220716683188&key=2f100eafa4c29a481a2ffa7cc3414e75&libId=...&out=http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=9339.60

·
Registered
203 Posts
Bradybunch, What year and how many miles on your vehicle? And what part of the country and how cold has it been? My truck has had these issues with all the cold weather this year, not so much last year.
I have almost 159k on my 08. I was wondering at what point it is worth to put more money into it if something else major happened. I had the tranny rebuilt at 140k. I did the struts and tie rods, they found power steering fluid in the steering rack boot. I haven't had to add P/S fluid since 8,000 miles. I guess the seal, sealed itself with the fluid I used.
I am hoping since I use Synthetic motor oil, the timing chain stretching issue wont happen. Oops I may have just jinxed myself. Anyway I would probably drop in a new or rebuilt engine depending on the price. You are not alone in liking your vehicle. I love mine. It never left me stranded but so many minor issues are coming all at once.
I had 250k on my Astro van, 120k on a silhouette, before the transmission was giving me trouble. Now that I think about the Silhouette, a $2000 transmission repair bill would have been cost effective.

Don't let those dealers sell you a bill of goods, get specifics, in writing. One person on the Acadia forum stated that His dealer told him the MAP sensor caused the timing chain to stretch. OMG. I wish I had that one in writing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's 2008 saturn outlook 112k miles. The December job at dealer for $1400 was for something called T.h.c.m. Transmission control module and now coming across items that might be under recall perhaps? Hmmm tricky!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well just try that MASS Air Flow sensor and cleaning of the snorkel. Good Luck and let us know how you make out.
I had the trio of stabilitrack/traction control messages yesterday in 30 degree weather. I cleaned the snorkel and the Mass Air Flow sensor.
I had left the milkshake in a container a couple weeks ago and let it separate, 99% water, 1% oil. Drove to work and had the messages again. Got to work cleared the P271,P174, running lean bank1 bank2 codes. Drove home in 19 degrees. Drove to work this morning in 11 degree temps, no messages. Going upstate tonight, hopefully with no messages. I have a replacment MAF sensor in the truck as spare.
Well I needed the spare sensor. Trio of messages and reduced engine power. The throttle body froze with all the moisture in there. Just letting it sit usually Thaws it out.
hey GM Customer service. :help:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Let us know if it works.
Tim

·
Registered
203 Posts
Got the trio of messages on the way home last night, so I know the Mass air flow sensor is bad(1 week old). I got home and the water came pouring out. I did the modification, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned out the snorkel, and cleaned the MAF. I let them all sit disconnected overnight. I dried out the snorkel, dried the MAF , put it all back together and drove to work, in the high 20s. I got the Stabilitrack /Traction control messages and Check Engine light. I got to work, the MIL code was lean Bank a and B. I am going to Autozone for a new MAF. All indications were no milkshake in the snorkel but I will take it apart when I get to Autozone to swap the MAF. Keeping my fingers crossed here that this will solve all my (our) problems. Update at say 10pm.
Took the snorkel off to replace the MAF, and so far I could not find a hint of a milkshake, or moisture. So far so good, but I will not be celebrating until it passes the cold weather test. The next couple of days should tell. The PCV barb was clogged up good, I had to use a small drill bit to auger out the crud, I was able to see through it when I re installed it. BTW I just passes the 157,000 mile mark, hopefully another 157,000 to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
So far the modification is working. I found only one tiny drop of moisture in the snorkel, temperatures in the single digits and teens. I must have damaged the connector lock to the barb when I removed it and it did pop off once. I got a rough idle and service stabilitrack, traction control, along with a new code, P0106. Manifold absolute pressure/BARO sensor Range/Performance. The tube was loose.
I went to the dealer and picked up a new one. The new one is insulated so I recommend replacing it when you do the Mod. $20.00..

·
Registered
203 Posts
One week update and 700 miles in below freezing temps, I opened up the snorkel and found a trace of oil and a drop of moisture. The throttle body is clean. No messages or codes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ok, so I remote started the outlook this morning because it was 1 degree F. I drove less than a mile and got Stabilitrack off with an Engine code right away. This is different than what has been happening. I assume that the MAF sensor is still good and that it was just a frozen throttle. I let it sit for 5 minutes to thaw out and drove the 5 miles to Drunkin Donuts. I checked the code and it was a Throttle Position Fault. I cleared the code and made it the rest of the 25 miles with no further problems. It did warm up to 15 degrees.
I got to work and checked the Snorkel and there was some oil and moisture and some oil and moisture on the throttle. I doubt that the Throttle Body is defective, I suspect that it was just frozen. This is the most moisture and oil in there and the only fault since the modification. I guess it is time for a catch can as well.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I replied to your post on the Enclave board with this response.

Traction Off, Service Stabilitrack, Reduced engine power. This is the exact message I would receive in the 07 Outlook we had.

At just over 23 or 24,000 miles, I would have to double check the write up I did on the "trials and tribulations" post to be sure of mileage, the end result was the dealership replaced all of the timing chains.

The engine was dropped, the chains replaced, everything put back together and.....not even 3,000 miles later, the same thing happened. They dropped the engine again and ended up replacing one of the cylinder heads.

Didn't have the message pop up after than. Although we did trade it in 6 months later on the 11 Enclave. Main reason was the persistent water leaks from the sun/moon roofs and secondary the concern about the engine.

Since you are a member over there, here is the link to the trials and tribulations I referred to.

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=6634.0

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't suspect timing chain issues. Mine is an air intake, throttle body, oil and moisture issue. I thought I had it solved but I did get a little more oil and moisture. My last fault was just stabilitrack and not traction control, so I believe the mass air flow sensor is good. When I opened it up the snorkel was not sitting on the throttle perfectly so I believe air was getting in there, bypassing the MAF sensor. It is in bad shape since I had to take it off about 20 times in the past month. I ordered a new throttle body, snorkel, MAF sensor, so I will install those when they get in. I am also going to check if the PVC orifice is Clogged up again. If is isn't, then it is time for a catch can. I really wanted to drive it to Syracuse yesterday, but I wasn't going to trust it in these cold temps, I took my daughter's car instead. Throttle froze up on Saturday morning with temp at 1 degree.
I re-seated the snorkel on the throttle body and I have not had any faults the past few days, temps in the teens to single digits.
I removed the PCV barb again and found it had some more crud in there. I cleaned it out again and re-installed it. A week of driving normally, I opened up the snorkel and found nothing, no milkshake, no moisture, or oil. There was no moisture on the oil filler cap anymore either. The throttle was clean.
I took a 500 mile trip in sub freezing temps and had no issues. I was laughing as I passed the rest area on the thruway where just a month ago I had to pull into and the pour out the water from the snorkel and replace the MAF sensor. What a difference a couple of holes make.. Do the mod, you will be glad you did.
Well after the 500 mile trip to Vermont, I opened up the snorkel and did find a milkshake starting. I pulled out the PCV barb and was hoping that it was clogged again, no it was clean. I figure that most of the blow by was caused by keeping my speed up on the mountain roads. Maybe it is time for a catch can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just recently my 07 XR (93,000miles) started chiming at me and telling me that the traction control is off. It was getting pretty annoying during the week. It would act like the car actually turns off for a split second. Kinda scary... On the weekend it actually got so bad that it put the car into limp mode, which sucked because I was still a ways from home. When I got home I put the scanner on the car to see what the heck was going on. The two codes it gave me were P0700 & U0073. Okay the first one is tranny control module is acting up and the second is telling me that the ECM (computer) isn't communicating with the car. Wire problem probably right? Okay so I start my needle in the haystack search in the wire harness going over and in front of the intake manifold. Everything looks okay so I'm kinda stumped. So I disconnected all of the connectors, wiped them down and reconnected them with some di-electric grease on the terminals. Fired up the car after this leap of faith and shazam it works again and the Check Engine Light is gone. Gone around 500 miles since the weekend. No problems... Stupid car, I've never had an issue like that before. :banghead:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same on my 08 Outlook, service traction control/stabiltrac/check engine light. What I noticed while driving the car would not shift out of 4th unless you switch have to manual. Cruise control would not work and brake lights stayed on when not being pressed. It sounds crazy, but I changed out my brake pedal position sensor/switch. $26 at NAPA.

Check to see if Your brake lights come on without passing the pedal

121 - 136 of 136 Posts