Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Service traction control and stabiltrak and ck engine light

283K views 136 replies 38 participants last post by  Villalobos20 
#1 ·
I was having a problem with the 08 Outlook, a intermittent sevice traction control and stablitrak light coming on and the ck engine light came on once. I took it into local chevy dealer today they said the engine harness was rubbing and was cut into. they fixed the wires and still have to road test the vehicle. Hopefully that is the fix won't know till tomorrow when I picked it up. Keeping my fingers crossed when reading some of the other post that members have put up about this problem.

#3 ·
I wonder what harness they are referring to; let us know if that was a good fix as I'm sure these harnesses are Lambda wide................could be a good fix for the other models

#5 ·
That's usually the sign for the camshaft issue. For your case I hope that just the harness is the issue but I think the dealer is guessing. Try using the "search" tab for camshaft issues and you'll see that the traction control and stabilitrak lights come one when this is an issue.

#6 ·
Picked up the car yesterday so far all is well drove well over a 100 miles no issue so far. They said they found a signal wire and a ground wire rubbing and chaffing on the intake manifold in the abs traction control wiring harness. They fixed wires and re-routed to prevent it from happening again. Hopefully this was it, this light and message was coming on and going off constantly.

#9 ·
We have a 08 outlook and just dropped it off at the dealership for the same issue, Service Traction Control/service Stabilitrak. My wife has taken it in before for oil changes and maintenance and also told them of the problem, but they never found a cause. The message has been coming on the past 3 days so we dropped it off today for that specific reason. Hopefully they can find the issue.

zfiero - if you read this post, are you still not having any additional issues with your traction control/stabilitrak?

#11 ·
Yes I agree hope this is the fix for your issues.

After over 2 years of this message popping up is when they determined it was the stabilink and it was replaced.

Good luck!

#12 ·
Wife just got a call from the dealeship. They say its a faulty brake fluid sensor, sending the wrong message out. $300+ cost for us. Reading several other posts from other sites, there seems to be a handfull of "fixes". Who knows what the real cause may be. One post said the dealership had to replace the cylinder head??? I'm no master tech or anything, but what does the cylinder head have to do with traction control?

#13 ·
jasonanh said:
Wife just got a call from the dealeship. They say its a faulty brake fluid sensor, sending the wrong message out. $300+ cost for us. Reading several other posts from other sites, there seems to be a handfull of "fixes". Who knows what the real cause may be. One post said the dealership had to replace the cylinder head??? I'm no master tech or anything, but what does the cylinder head have to do with traction control?
Well not sure but since my Outlook had "two" engine tear downs within 45 days.

End of June 2010 So here is what is on the work order: "Inspect test check diagnostic codes, use all available sources to identify failure. Not to be used for brake light bulb failure....stabalink trac light on at times...intermittent rain, dry, anytime, starting or driving. Checked several times elsewhere. CODE P0021 timing chain stretched. Camshaft has excessive end play also. Replace timing chain and add thrust washers and front cylinder head cams."

August 2010: "LH cam actuator and LH cylinder head replacement on THIS repair.

#14 ·
Back again, 2,000 miles after the "fix" and guess what? The same issues are happening again. "Service Stabilitrak, Service Traction Control, Service Brake System" messages poppin up on the display. All the bells are going off and warning lights coming on again. After spending the money to get it fixed, we again took it into the dealership for this issue. Does anybody out there know what the heck is wrong with these cars? Nobody at the dealerships seem to have a clue and have never heard of this issue. All you need to do is google the problem and you get all sorts of posts. I'm done with this car and done with GM. I've always been a GM supporter, but they have dropped the ball and lost another customer.

#15 ·
Jasonanh,

Do you remember the mileage read when you started to have these lights come on in your DIC? What is the current mileage that you are at on your 2008 Outlook at this time?

Michelle-GM Customer Service

#16 ·
We purchased the car new in 08. I would say within the first 2,000 miles the issues started. Finally when we took it in again after trying numerous other times, at 39,006 miles they said it was a brake sensor. Paid for the fix out of pocket cause the bumper to bumper was up. At 41,000 miles we are having the same issue again. Dropped the car off yesterday and have to pay $220 just to diagnose the car. Unless this is a powertrain issue, i'm sure well be paying out the nose. I have never been so frustrated with a car in my life. Theres no joy in driving this car.

#17 ·
jasonanh said:
We purchased the car new in 08. I would say within the first 2,000 miles the issues started. Finally when we took it in again after trying numerous other times, at 39,006 miles they said it was a brake sensor. Paid for the fix out of pocket cause the bumper to bumper was up. At 41,000 miles we are having the same issue again. Dropped the car off yesterday and have to pay $220 just to diagnose the car. Unless this is a powertrain issue, i'm sure well be paying out the nose. I have never been so frustrated with a car in my life. Theres no joy in driving this car.
If there is documentation of the trips and no fixes prior to the b to b ending, I would try and get GM to cover the costs. You would have proof that it has been an ongoing issue, and an unresolved issue, and that right after the b to b ended they found a fix(??????).

#19 ·
Re: Service traction control and stabiltrak and ck engine light,numreous issues

Well I have had my 2008 Outlook and 2x's now, they are saying it is my brake fluid is low and that is what causes the "sensors" to come on....I only have 67,000 and I need brake fluid? when I just had it "topped" off in mid-July and 1 month later I need it again. I looked at my brake fluid it I have plenty in there. I worry about driving this "LEMON" with kids in the car incase there is a leak in the hydraulic system.

We have had numerous problems with our Outlook. I have already replaced the water pump, which GM wouldn't reimburse us the $500.00 due to we didn't have it towed to them (45 mins drive for me). Instead we drove it to a close by garage and they told us there, we couldn't drive it that far it was losing water to quickly.

I have had issues with wheel noises and they still have yet to find the problem.

#20 ·
Back here again to vent!!! Took the wifes car in AGAIN last Friday for THE SAME ISSUES AGAIN, this time with addition of a check engine light. Talked to dealership on Saturday, and like some other posts I have read online, the Camshaft Position Sensor is causing the light to come on along with some codes indicating there is a timing issue. Dont know when we will get the car back. SOOOO, I have now replaced the brake fluid sensor, the brake master cylinder and will now have to have the engine torn apart so they can "FIX" the problem. This car is such a piece of junk, I dont care what a dealer will give me for it, I am getting rid of it. I cant belive that a car that I spent $35,000 on has all of these issues. And of course GM will do nothing about it. At least the car is still under power train warranty so the work will be covered, but that's not the point. There is no reliability in this car at all. There is no joy in driving it at all when all you can think about is how long till the next light comes on. Hello Ford and Dodge, here I come.

#23 ·
jasonanh said:
Back here again to vent!!! Took the wifes car in AGAIN last Friday for THE SAME ISSUES AGAIN, this time with addition of a check engine light. Talked to dealership on Saturday, and like some other posts I have read online, the Camshaft Position Sensor is causing the light to come on along with some codes indicating there is a timing issue. Dont know when we will get the car back. SOOOO, I have now replaced the brake fluid sensor, the brake master cylinder and will now have to have the engine torn apart so they can "FIX" the problem. This car is such a piece of junk, I dont care what a dealer will give me for it, I am getting rid of it. I cant belive that a car that I spent $35,000 on has all of these issues. And of course GM will do nothing about it. At least the car is still under power train warranty so the work will be covered, but that's not the point. There is no reliability in this car at all. There is no joy in driving it at all when all you can think about is how long till the next light comes on. Hello Ford and Dodge, here I come.
I am glad to see that your concern has been resolved. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#24 ·
GM Customer Service said:
I am glad to see that your concern has been resolved. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
He wont because he's getting rid of it!

#25 ·
Got rid of it I did, at a huge loss!!!! Carmax gave me the best price for it. Never thought I would do it, but went with an import. The wife fell in love with it and that was all she wrote. So happy to be done with the Outlook! Feels like a huge weight is off my shoulders. Now we can take a road trip without having to worry about when the next problem will happen. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.