Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Service traction control, Stabiltrack, "turn off A/C, engine too hot"

22K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  6Sixathome 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook with 40k miles. I live in Texas where the heat has been unbearable this summer. A few days ago, it was 108 degrees and I left my car running with the A/C on for about 5 minutes while I put some groceries in my house. When I tried to leave again, the traction control message came on and my a/c light was blinking. I turned off the a/c for a few minutes and everything seemed OK. 10 mins later I was stopped at the ball fields while my son was climbing in the car. (no more than a 2 minute process). The car lost power, the traction control light came on, as did the stabiltrack and the "change oil now" message. I am at least 2k miles from needing an oil change. Today while driving on the highway, I started to lose power and "Turn off A/C, Engine too hot" message came on. What is up?! I have read about the camshaft issues, but no one seemed to mention about the car nearly over-heating. Any thoughts??

#2 ·
It sounds like possibly your OUTLOOK is really low on coolant, have you checked the coolant tank to see if there is any in there?, if there's not I'll bet your water pump is bad. What happened is that your engine had to use the oil to help cool it down and that really used the oils life up. If you can quit driving it around town and get it to the dealer.

#3 ·
Agree with 6Sixathome. You should check your oil level as well along with the coolant. Make an appointment with a dealer ASAP and get your Outlook in to be checked out and serviced (oil/filter change).

#4 ·
You would have gotten the change oil message because your engine exceeded GM's "magic" number to consider the oil no longer usable due to the temperature reached.

Agree with checking the oil and coolant levels. My guess is the water pump, but it could be some other things.

As said, take it to your Saturn warranty work dealership as many of the possibilities would be covered under the warranty.

P.S. Let us know what they say.

#5 ·
like they said- oil being a lubricant- also serves to carry away heat.
But your coolant is the primary source for cooling the engine.
If you have lost coolant- then the oil becomes the primary coolant. Aside from being the lubricant.
WHen the engine computer realizes its overheating- it also begins to start subtracting alot more from the Oils life.
As with many others who had had engine overheats due to failed pump- the change engine oil message apears.

#6 ·
Thank you all for your great advice!! I told my husband about the suggestions, so he checked the coolant and surprise, surprise, it was bone dry. I went to get an oil change and explained my situation. My tech's mother also has a Saturn, so he was able to understand the issues. He added 3.5 quarts of coolant, checked the radiator levels and checked for a collant leak. Thankfully, he didn't find one. In addition, I had the oil changed and was on my way. Due to our extreme hot temps this summer, once the tech realized that there was not a leak, he said that he wasn't really surprised about what was happening. Fingers crossed that this takes care of my issues. Again - thanks for the help. I will stay in touch!

#7 ·
He added 3.5 quarts of coolant, checked the radiator levels and checked for a collant leak. Thankfully, he didn't find one

Sorry, but 3 1/2 quarts of coolant do not just disappear without a leak somewhere. You have a leak somewhere, more than likely from the weep hole of the waterpump or from the gasket. If it is a slow leak, it will be very hard to see unless you know where to look. The heat will evaporate the moisture, and there may be a small tell tale sign of where it evaporated from.

A pressure test should be done, but usually will not show a leaking waterpump weep hole.

The waterpump is covered under the 5 year/100000 mile power train warranty.

Although we will be getting cooler weather this weekend here in Dallas, it's still going to be in the 90's and you will overheat again if you have a leak. There is also the chance the waterpump will go 100% bad suddenly if the weep hole leaks, and you will really have problems then if you are traveling.

Not trying to scare you, but just trying to give you a warning that 3 1/2 quarts of coolant do not just disappear.

#8 ·
like he said....
water pump leaking slowly is suspect here.

Theres was a member on here recently who had a slow leak. not really visible.
had it tested- it was fine. (pressure test I think).
few days later- the water pump went totally.

you will have to look really close at this area for tell tale signs of coolant leaking...

youll have to look at this area very very good.
the upper pulley is attached to the water pump.

#10 ·
rbarrios said:
Theres was a member on here recently who had a slow leak. not really visible.
had it tested- it was fine. (pressure test I think).
few days later- the water pump went totally.

That was me, it leaked and then it did'nt, then it did so I took it in and they thought it needed a water pump so they ordered one and in the mean time it did not leak at all untill one day it just gave out and the coolant tank was almost empty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.