Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I indicated in a post last March that I was having difficulty getting a problem with a SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL message on my 2008 Saturn Outlook resolved. Thanks to the efforts of a very dedicated and determined technician at the Hertrich GMC Buick dealership here in Seaford, Delaware where I live, the problem finally got resolved. The technician, Doug, used a electrical schematic for my vehicle to run new wires from the computer module that controls this function to the senors in the rear wheels. There apparently was a problem with the original wiring somewhere between those two points. I have put well over a thousand miles on my vehicle since the work was done and have not had any further problems. Did have a water pump problem at approx. 79,000 miles which was detected by Doug at the same time, but, thankfully, that was covered by the GM recall on Outlook water pumps. I had to replace the battery in my vehicle this week. The battery was over 5 years old. I was going to replace it myself until, after watching a YouTube video, I discovered that the battery in the Outlook is in floor behind the front passenger seat. The compartment where the battery is located was half full of liquid and I was concerned about acid exposure. Was surprised that there wasn't some sort of drainage system with the battery being inside the vehicle. I understand that AC Delco batteries have a tendency to overflow when they approach the 5 year mark. Had the battery replaced at WALMART for $109.00 which includes a five year warrenty (3 year replacement and prorated the last two years). Hoping to drive my Outlook for several more years. I really like the handling and ride of Outlook and it handles my camper very well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have never heard of a battery "overflowing", especially a factory sealed one. I would be looking more towards some type of water leak (sunroof?). If it was battery acid, you would have smelled it and there would have been corrosion or worse in the sealed compartment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...don't have a sun roof but it is possible that spills by the grandchildren over the five years that I have had the car have accumulated in the battery compartment?

·
Registered
353 Posts
seark19973 said:
I indicated in a post last March that I was having difficulty getting a problem with a SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL message on my 2008 Saturn Outlook resolved. Thanks to the efforts of a very dedicated and determined technician at the Hertrich GMC Buick dealership here in Seaford, Delaware where I live, the problem finally got resolved. The technician, Doug, used a electrical schematic for my vehicle to run new wires from the computer module that controls this function to the senors in the rear wheels. There apparently was a problem with the original wiring somewhere between those two points. I have put well over a thousand miles on my vehicle since the work was done and have not had any further problems. Did have a water pump problem at approx. 79,000 miles which was detected by Doug at the same time, but, thankfully, that was covered by the GM recall on Outlook water pumps. I had to replace the battery in my vehicle this week. The battery was over 5 years old. I was going to replace it myself until, after watching a YouTube video, I discovered that the battery in the Outlook is in floor behind the front passenger seat. The compartment where the battery is located was half full of liquid and I was concerned about acid exposure. Was surprised that there wasn't some sort of drainage system with the battery being inside the vehicle. I understand that AC Delco batteries have a tendency to overflow when they approach the 5 year mark. Had the battery replaced at WALMART for $109.00 which includes a five year warrenty (3 year replacement and prorated the last two years). Hoping to drive my Outlook for several more years. I really like the handling and ride of Outlook and it handles my camper very well.
seark19973,

Glad to hear that your concerns have been addressed and resolved. We appreciate your updates very much and urge you to monitor the operation of your vehicle. If any other concerns arise, feel free to contact us privately for assistance.

Sincerely,

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
18 Posts
When my husband opened the battery compartment he found water in the compartment. We don't have a sunroof and it is an ac delco battery. Did some research..and yes they are prone to leakage. Your grandkids didn't do that cause that is a deep compartment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can someone tell me about this GM recall on Outlook water pumps? We have an 08 with 75k on it. Starting to get a little puddle of coolant in the garage each morning. Dealer said $600, so if it's under a recall that would be awesome. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
754 Posts
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

May 2013
Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2008-2010 model year Buick Enclave, 2009-2010 model year Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2010 model year GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook vehicle equipped with a HFV6 engine, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that your vehicle may have a condition where engine coolant leaks from the water pump shaft seal and may result in water pump failure. These leaks are often due to vehicle operation with a low engine coolant level. Proper maintenance of the engine coolant level will increase shaft seal reliability and ensure that the water pump operates as intended.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the condition described above. If this condition occurs on your vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 kilometers), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by April 30, 2014, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)
Buick
1-800-521-7300
1-800-832-8425
Chevrolet
1-800-222-1020
1-800-833-2438
GMC
1-800-462-8782
1-888-889-2438
Saturn
1-800-553-6000
1-800-833-6000
Guam
65-6267-1752

Puerto Rico – English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico – Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts