Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have been looking around for a cheap, good looking suv with lots of cargo space, and I have fallen in love with the Saturn Outlook!

I am a student, so I am unfortunately looking at the ones with higher milage (120 - 180.000), and I wanted to ask if this is a bad idea? I can get a 2007 XR with ALL options for around $9000, but it has 170k. The deal seems ok, but is it worth it in the long run? I will use it for 90% interstate and 10% city, if that makes any difference.

I know NOTHING about cars, I just really love what this car offers! I just don't want to end up spending a lot of money on repairs.

Thank you!

Best,
Magnus

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dear Magnus, unless you're an independently wealthy student I wouldn't advise that you buy this vehicle. The cost to own could prove prohibitive. Any car with close to 200k will cost to maintain. Tires alone will be in the neighborhood of $600/ set and the most important is the drivetrain( engine & transmission). You're probably going to be getting about 16-18 mpg and gas will not come cheap. If its only you in a vehicle look for something more economical and save your money for, I don't know, TUITION!!! :angel:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I'm from Europe, but in USA for internship and exchange student - and I really need a big car that I can sleep in when I go on assignments throughout the country (studying photojournalism). This car is just perfect, and I don't mind the low mpg - gas is less than twice the price here than from where I come from.
If I can find one with maybe 120 - 130k, would it still be expensive in repairs and so on? Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
Magnus-

the following vehicles are based on the same platform.
Chevrolet Traverse (2009 and up)
GMC Acadia
Buick Enclave.

From 2009 and up- the engines are Direct Injection.

All of the vehicles have a similar layout inside.
Either they come with 2nd row captains (seats 7).. or 2nd row bench seat- (seats 8).

the seating for 8 is the one that allows for a nicer sleeping area (no gap in between the 2nd row seats).....

I have taken trips across the US- and flipped down the seats to allow me to sleep.

Just letting you know so you can keep an eye out for the other platforms.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not to steer you away from an Outlook, but I also own a 2007 Chevy Equinox which has a lot of cargo room when the rear seats are folded down. I usually get about 23MPG combined. Might be worth looking into. 2005-2009 Equinox's are good, reliable vehicles.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
If you can my suggestion is to stick with either a 09 or a 10. Stay away from the 07/08 with high mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your replies. What is the difference between 07/08 and 09/10 ? I got an offer from a dealer on a 2009 XR with 150K for only $9000. It is loaded. But I know it's a lot of miles.

I have been looking at other vehicles too - actually a lot - only SUV's with third row - or as much cargo space - though. The equinox looks ok, but it's not at all near as nice as the Outlook IMO.

Is Direct Injection a lot better than non?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
The DI engine tends to be better as there were many with the non DI who had timing chain problems. I had to have the chains replaced on my 07 Outlook after 2 years and 6 months of ownership and less than 27,000 miles on it.

Another suggestion have the dealer give you a report on the Outlook as to what service/repairs were done. If they are a GM dealership they can get the information for you, on all work performed at dealerships that is.

This will let you know what parts were replaced and if they had the vehicle in for any recalls/repairs requested by GM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. It helps a lot.

I will ask them for that. They are not a GM dealer - they have all kinds of cars. What should I take care of when reviewing the cars history? Is it a good thing or a bad thing, if it has had parts changed and been in for recall?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts