Saturn Outlook Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 07 Outlook XR AWD about 300 miles away from where we live, so we cant easily go see it in person yet. A dealer (not just a used car lot) has it listed right at NADA price. The car has 75K miles on it and has every option under the sun, navigation, dual moonroofs, rear entertainment, power rear door...

I called and asked about it, the dealer said that its a very clean strong car and the only option that does not work is the remote start. He did mention that it had one owner and had the tranny rebuilt by the dealer 10K miles ago.

What are your guys opinions on the car? Should the tranny scare me away? I have read endless posts about how bad the vehicle is yet car review sites say that its the best SUV for under 20K, they have all said the outlook is the absolute best and 5 star reliability rating, nobody else had that.

·
Registered
214 Posts
IF the rebuild was done properly, there should be no problems, especially now after 10000 miles. More than likely the trans was rebuilt because of a failed or broken wave plate. Debris enters the transmission fluid and circulates throughout the system. If a proper flush wasn't done, those particles can cause damage to the solenoids, and that is about a $1400.00 or so repair. GM is very adamant about how the system should be flushed during a rebuild, but yet some mechanics don't follow the procedure and contaminates remain in the system, causing the future damage.

After 10000 miles of being rebuilt and if there were no other repairs needed, I would think you should be OK. Of course it is still a bit of a crap shoot, but the odds are on your side. If the transmission had been rebuilt once because of the wave plate, a newly announced extended warranty by GM of 10 years or 120000 miles on that part would not be applicable to you.

If the car is something you like otherwise, tell the dealer you are hesitant about the transmission and see if they will include a warranty. If not you will have to check around and see if you can obtain one yourself. The 2007 first year models had some significant problems including the wave plate, timing chain, sunroof leak, and water pump. See if the dealer (if it's a GM one) can provide the GM service history of it so you know what has or has not been done.

The remote will not work if a check engine light is on or if the hood switch is defective. I would explore the engine light and make sure it is not burned out and also check for any stored codes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to verify with our local GM dealer that the warranty on it is still effective so im satisfied there. I can see on the instrument panel that the check engine light is on when the key is in the ACC mode (Tach is on 0) so the light works and I would say its normal to be on if the car is not running.

The remote start thing does have me curious, how would I check if the hood sensor is working or not? If i open the hood should I get an indication? I have an OBDII scanner so I should be able to look up any codes if the check engine light is on.

I was able to look up the carfax, the first owner used it as a corprate car, I dont have any other details so im scared that it could have been a rental car, they sold it at 25K miles and no reported oil changes on record from the first owner. It also said Failed emissions test @ 22K miles then passed it later. Then when the first owner sold it the report says "Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed, Drivability/performance checked, Seat(s) checked, Interior trim checked.

Second owner has reports of oil changes at 5-8K change intervals from the dealership, a few passed emissions tests, headlight bulbs replaced, but no mention of a rebuilt transmission. The dealership says that it was rebuilt by a dealership, they just didnt specify which one. If it was a GM dealer i would expect it to be on the carfax so I hope that the 120K mile warranty is still good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I take back my rental car worries, the first owner owned it for 5 years and 2 months, in that time only 25K miles were put on it, averaging 5,323 miles a year which is nothing and rental car places dont keep cars that long and usually a lot more miles, so im curious what corporate car would be used that little. Second owner had it for 2 years 8 months and 46,701 miles averaging 16,161 miles a year.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your BEST source to see exactly what has been done to the vehicle would be a GM dealer service department. They can run the VIN and get a report of everything ever done to it at a GM dealership or under warranty. CarFax, Auto Check, or any other private source is only as good as the records it finds or that are reported. The dealership told you it was a one owner yet you say something about the second owner? Is this a GM dealer who has the car?

I guess a business owner could title the car in the business name and it would show as a corporate car. They might have lived 2 miles from where their business was and it was just used for the short trip back and forth. No way to know for sure unless you contact the previous owner.

Sounds like a pretty nice car. I would however seriously consider a used car warranty to cover any unexpected problems, especially on these early models. I think others have bought warranties from Costco, USAA, or through their insurance companies or credit unions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts