Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Shuttering while accelerating

28K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  sailfish 
#1 ·
When driving (especially accelerating) our 09 Outlook down the road, it bogs down and shutters, and the check engine light blinks. I'm sure it's misfiring, maybe because a plugged fuel injector or bad gas(?). OnStar said they couldn't find any problems when performing a diagnostics check. It's going to the dealer tomorrow, for tire rotation, oil change, headlight recall, and now this, but I was wondering what it could possibly be, and if it means spending an arm and a leg. Thanks!

#2 ·
Bad coil packs are not unheard of, and unfortunately, neither is a bad timing chain especially on the 2009 model years.

Many of the national auto parts stores will hook up a scanner and read any codes for you.

A blinking light like you stated also indicates that damage is being done to the emissions control system, usually the catalytic converter (according to this link). If this is the case, you should be covered under the 5 year/100000 mile power train warranty if within the time and mileage, and the damage is caused by a covered part.

http://repairpal.com/understanding-the-check-engine-light

#3 ·
yes a blinking lights means not to drive the vehicle- as damage can occur to Emissions systems.

#4 ·
ls973800 said:
Bad coil packs are not unheard of, and unfortunately, neither is a bad timing chain especially on the 2009 model years.

Many of the national auto parts stores will hook up a scanner and read any codes for you.

A blinking light like you stated also indicates that damage is being done to the emissions control system, usually the catalytic converter (according to this link). If this is the case, you should be covered under the 5 year/100000 mile power train warranty if within the time and mileage, and the damage is caused by a covered part.

http://repairpal.com/understanding-the-check-engine-light
I've got under 100,000 miles. The dealer called us back and gave us 6 codes that came up which my mom didn't write down, but she said that they said the third plug needs replacing, and fuel injector(s) were clogged. Also, they said they had three other vehicles come in, acting the same way, and their gas tanks consisted of 60% water, 40% fuel, and all got fuel from the same gas station. Under further receipt investigation, I found we also had gotten gas at that gas station.

#6 ·
I would think that 60% water wouldn't even run. :eek:

I'd get a diagnosis in writing and take it back to the gas station. If there's damage due to water in the gas, it's on them to fix it.

My sister had something like this happen on a road trip. Filled their van up in a small town and it immediately wouldn't run. Called a tow truck and on the way the two driver gets a call from the gas station. The station or the delivery truck had mistakenly put E85 in the underground tank and volunteered to pay whatever was wrong with their van. I think they only needed to drain the tank, replace the fuel filter and an injector cleaning.

#7 ·
@lkreykes, I have read through your posts about your situation with the Outlook. Did the dealership explain how they were going to try to get this taken care of?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

#8 ·
Well, Monday we picked it up ($200~), after injector cleaning and whatever else, and the darned engine light came on again! Brought it straight back. This time it will be covered by the power train warranty. The dealer told us today that the third fuel injector was totally fried, so it needed to be replaced.

#10 ·
Update: Picked it up today AGAIN, driving down the road, engine light blinks when accelerating STILL and stays on. Also more shuddering. Plus, they never rotated the tires after we paid them to do it. Were thinking about taking advantage of that "lemon law", we are very disgusted with GM's service. We'd like another Ford.

#11 ·
It took them this long to figure out plug #3 was cracked, but we got it back and all is well!

#12 ·
lkreykes said:
Update: Picked it up today AGAIN, driving down the road, engine light blinks when accelerating STILL and stays on. Also more shuddering. Plus, they never rotated the tires after we paid them to do it. Were thinking about taking advantage of that "lemon law", we are very disgusted with GM's service. We'd like another Ford.
Please contact me or Michelle with more information and I would be happy to look into this for you. I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#13 ·
So far the car has been good. They did indeed lie to us about rotating the tires, they said they did but it was never on any of the work order things. They also said they changed the oil, and the screen says 100% oil life, but the sticker on the windshield was never replaced... All in all, never going back to that dealer!

#14 ·
lkreykes said:
So far the car has been good. They did indeed lie to us about rotating the tires, they said they did but it was never on any of the work order things. They also said they changed the oil, and the screen says 100% oil life, but the sticker on the windshield was never replaced... All in all, never going back to that dealer!
some dealers no longer use the oil change stickers.
GM told dealers not to do 3000 mile oil changes- and to go by OLM a few yrs back.

So that could be the reason for the lack of decal.

#15 ·
rbarrios said:
I never knew that... I have always just brought it to get an oil change whenever the sticker told me to, I never used the OLM given it never got to the point where it told me to change the oil. I'll just go by that then now. Thanks

#16 ·
rbarrios said:
GM told dealers not to do 3000 mile oil changes- and to go by OLM a few yrs back.

So that could be the reason for the lack of decal.
I have the sticker from the last time I was at Reichard. PLUS it shows that my next oil change is at 3000 miles (which is what I do anyway) or 4 months.
Reichard has always put the sticker on my vehicles, the Outlook and of course as I just stated above the Enclave.

#17 ·
Vehicle Is a Peace of Crap! Drive it to a rock pile and leave it. When you fix this it will work for 2 months and some other sensor will go and the same thing will happen. I've been fighting this for years. Paid 11 grand for a 2009 Saturn Outlook only 4 years old at the time with 90 thousand miles on it. Spent over 10 grand fixing transmission, multiple sensors, coils, bearings, within 24 months of purchase. To date the car still miss fires on cylinder 3, looses power on acceleration, ABS light on, traction control light on, Check Engine light on, Brake light comes on and sometimes beeps (even though the brakes are under full pressure and always work) and
passenger air bag light comes on intermittently. The good news is the passenger air bag light will go off if you tell your passenger to put more wait on their left butt cheek.

It is shocking to me that society allows GM engineers to design an Auto braking system when they can't even build a seat belt that works (buy the way all the seat belts have been replaced multiple times on our Saturn Outlook and three of them still don't work).
GM is a disgrace to American Engineering and I would not trust them to build a Fly-Swatter. I have driven in Multiple GM vehicles for my job over the last 12 months and it turns out every vehicle accept for one the dash looks like a Christmas tree of warning lights.
When GM says "Like a Rock" they mean it literally... your vehicle will move like a rock. The best way to fix your problem is to drive the piece of crap to a junk yard and go buy a Honda or Toyota.

#18 ·
You make one post on a message that is 5 years old and do nothing but bitch about your Saturn.

You actually took the time to join in very early this morning just to do this.

If you don't like it, that's great.

We get the "onesies" all the time, stop in and bitch and then "poof" gone.

The rest of the members do what they can to HELP those with problems, all the while doing so WITH CIVILITY....

Reactions: tsc1969
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.