Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a letter in the mail that says that GM will replace the left and right wiring harnesses for free on certain 08 models to keep up with the new standards that we implimented during that model year. Some of the older 08's did not receive this upgrade and the are offering it now.
Anyone else get this Letter?

:cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I received it. I plan to have it done when I have them look through a couple other things before my warranty is up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I received it yesterday. Curious as to what the improvement will be.
Tim C.

theclarkfam said:
I got a letter in the mail that says that GM will replace the left and right wiring harnesses for free on certain 08 models to keep up with the new standards that we implimented during that model year. Some of the older 08's did not receive this upgrade and the are offering it now.
Anyone else get this Letter?

:cheers:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very true.........
Tim C.
medicrxdoc said:
I hope that you never have to find out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my letter yesterday and called the dealership today. The dealer had no clue what the letter was about and is researching it. Has anyone taken theirs in yet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I received a letter about "corrosion in the connector terminal pins at the connection between the body main wiring harness and the front driver and passenger side impact air bag" It states that a "service air bag system warning message in the DIC" will occur. "Do not take your vehicle to your Saturn Authorized Service dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described".
They have stated that they will be extending the warranty for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the date of purchase on this condition.

Any one else receive this letter?
It clearly states 2008 Saturn Outlook

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
danler said:
They have stated that they will be extending the warranty for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the date of purchase on this condition.

Any one else receive this letter?
It clearly states 2008 Saturn Outlook
Can you clarity the part about "extending the warranty" That would be great to get that kind of vehicle protection for the next 7 years.

·
Registered
754 Posts
acadia owner ran his vin- it referenced "special coverage 10335".

this is what it means.
Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may exhibit wear which could lead to corrosion in the connector terminal pins at the connection between the body main wiring harness and the front driver and passenger side impact air bag. Over time, the wear may result in a resistance value that sets a SERVICE AIR BAG System warning message in the Driver Information Center (DIC). The seat side impact air bag would continue to be fully functional. Over time, and if the SERVICE AIR BAG System DIC warning message is ignored, the resistance could increase to a level in which the seat side impact air bag may not deploy when commanded in a side impact crash.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for this condition. If this condition occurs on your 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by January 31, 2012. If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer.

If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Buick
1-866-608-8080
1-800-832-8425

GMC
1-866-996-9463
1-800-462-8583

Saturn
1-800-972-8876
1-800-833-6000

Guam
1-671-648-8450

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a feeling that was what it was pertaining to which is probably why I received the "get it fixed" notice in the mail instead of the one that you noted rbarrios. I am sure that both are tied together in some way, shape, or form. Thanks rbarrios that will come in handy later should I have issues before and after the fix. :cheers:

·
Registered
44 Posts
rbarrios said:
acadia owner ran his vin- it referenced "special coverage 10335".

this is what it means.
Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles may exhibit wear which could lead to corrosion in the connector terminal pins at the connection between the body main wiring harness and the front driver and passenger side impact air bag. Over time, the wear may result in a resistance value that sets a SERVICE AIR BAG System warning message in the Driver Information Center (DIC). The seat side impact air bag would continue to be fully functional. Over time, and if the SERVICE AIR BAG System DIC warning message is ignored, the resistance could increase to a level in which the seat side impact air bag may not deploy when commanded in a side impact crash.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for this condition. If this condition occurs on your 2008 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by January 31, 2012. If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer.

If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division
Number
Text Telephones (TTY)

Buick
1-866-608-8080
1-800-832-8425

GMC
1-866-996-9463
1-800-462-8583

Saturn
1-800-972-8876
1-800-833-6000

Guam
1-671-648-8450

Puerto Rico - English
1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español
1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands
1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

This is the exact letter I received minus the Acadia, Enclave vehicles mentioned. Only the wiring harness for the airbags have the extended warranty.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am wondering what "wear" is there in the connector and how does it lead to corrosion. I received the letter about special program 10335 in Jan. I had the airbag warning light come on in Jun. I brought it in and they repaired it.
Where does the corrosion come from? I did have a water issue leaking from the sunroof, I corrected the problem quickly and dried out as much under the carpeting as I could. I didn't see any water getting into the connectors and I didn't see any wear down there. What connector was experiencing the wear?

·
Registered
754 Posts
some electrical connections will get was is called FRETTING.
It is micro motion. vibration/ heat/cold etc.
and builds up over time...

·
Registered
754 Posts
Fretting Corrosion
August 1, 2009
Fretting corrosion is a buildup of insulating oxidized debris (nonconductive material) caused by micro motion between two contact surfaces. (Fig 1)

(Fig 1)

It's commonly found on tin plated terminals, such as Micro pack 100 and Micro pack 64 connections.

Past Serviceability Issues

Replacement of sensors, modules and other components will result in only a temporary relief of a fretting issue. Actually, just the cycling of a connector will clear the fretting corrosion from the terminal, correcting the condition for a short time until fretting corrosion builds back up again.

Typical issues caused by fretting corrosion include:
- Intermittent electrical component operations
- DTCs being set, or No Trouble Found (NTF)
- Low current signal circuits -- fretting corrosion (high resistance) can cause intermittent connections
- High current power circuits -- permanent increases in the connection resistance can lead to overheating

Evidence of Fretting

Fretting usually appears as:
- small, dark smudges on electrical terminals
- smudges at the locations of electrical contact (Fig. 2)

(Fig. 2)

In less severe cases, it may require a magnifying glass to identify a fretting condition.

Causes of Fretting

Fretting is caused by the motion between the connector and the terminal, which can be due to:
- Vibration - micro motion between two contact surfaces causing build up of insulating oxidized debris (nonconductive material)
- Thermal cycling
- Packaging of the connector, wiring harness and/or device
- Poor connection/terminal retention

Progression of fretting corrosion

A. Tin - clean (free of any corrosion) (Fig. 3, A)

(Fig. 3, A)

B. A connection is made through the cracks in the tin-oxide layer, making a stable connection. (Fig. 3, B)

(Fig. 3, B)

C. When the terminal vibrates or moves a section of the clean tin is exposed to the air and it quickly forms an insulating tin-oxide film. (Fig. 4)

(Fig. 4)

Every time there is motion at the contact spot the cycle repeats and more tin oxide is worn away and debris builds up. (Fig. 5)

(Fig. 5)

With continued microscopic fretting, enough insulating tin-oxide wear debris can build up high resistance creating intermittent connections. (Fig. 6)

(Fig. 6)

Service Solution

Disconnecting and reconnecting a connector will temporarily "fix" a fretting condition, but it will eventually come back if the conditions for fretting still exist. The best preventative measure is to perform the following:
1. Disconnect the appropriate module(s)/connector(s)
2. Lube both sides of the connector (module side and harness side) with NyoGel® 760G lubricant, GM part number 12377900 (in Canada, P/N 10953529) (Fig. 7)

(Fig. 7)

3. Reconnect the connector
4. Wipe away any excess lubricant
5. Duplicate the condition per the SI Diagnostic Procedure Instruction section
- Circuit/System Description
- Conditions for Running/Setting the DTC
- Circuit/System Verification

IMPORTANT: If the condition CANNOT be duplicated, the repair is complete. DO NOT replace the module/component/part.

IMPORTANT: If the condition can be duplicated, the repair is incomplete. Follow the appropriate SI Circuit/System Testing procedure.

For all intermittent service lamps or electrical module/component/system operation, in addition to those exhibiting a fretting condition, it's recommended to disconnect the appropriate module(s)/connector(s) and lube both sides of the connector (module side and harness side) with NyoGel 760G lubricant.

·
Registered
754 Posts
no im not-- just a GM/Chevy/Lambda fan.

·
Registered
201 Posts
This is what makes these forums such a great thing. Owners who "give back" to the community make for a tremendous resource to all owners (prospective ones too).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts