Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I absolutely love this little car. Maintenance only for the nearly 9 years plus 78,213 miles we have own it.

Earlier this summer the ABS light came on. I had it to my mechanic and he gave me a few scenarios as to what may be the problem. Since it is not a regularly driven car, until winter that is, decided to postpone it until later.

Well that was yesterday. I had it to Ted's for oil change/tire rotation/wipers replaced...all that winter prep one does.

PLUS I had him check into the ABS problems. He hooked up the scanner but could not get a code to show up. He was able to clear something because the light went off. He drove it across their lot and the light came back on so he hooked up the scanner and nothing. He cleared it again and tried it again, not just one more time but three. Nothing.

After about an hour, after the other work was performed, he said this:

1. bearing speed sensor could be bad $300.00+
2. computer could be bad $ very expensive is what he said.

I told him that I would need to discuss with my husband and I paid the bill and left. :(

SIGHHHHH..... :sosad:

So just now I decided to give Steven at Reichard a ring. Discussed with him what has been happening and what Ted said and this is what he said.

1. bearing speed sensor could be bad
2. wiring harness could be bad
3. probability of the computer being bad...very unlikely. He only remembers about 3 vehicles having this issue.

He truly believes that they will be able to pull the code that is being thrown by the ABS.

So next Tuesday....road trip to Reichard. LOL Steven asked...you have never had that car up here before. I said nope....never needed anything other than regular maintenance.

I am dropping the VUE off an picking up a loaner car. Hummm I wonder do you think I will get that 2001 black LeSabre and if I do will it have over 400,000 miles on it yet?

Poor little VUE.... :'(

I am depending on this little car. I have just volunteered with the Central Ohio Sheltie Rescue and after the first of the year I will be helping to rescue and transport Shelties from "kill shelters" to a safe environment where they will stay and be fostered until they find their forever home.

Yea I am a huge Sheltie lover, after all I do have two, my own personal "Blues Brothers" Jake and Elwood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Well looks like it's time to put a little $$$ into after 9 years, that's a good track record for that VUE. I got mine fixed (the rear allignment) they had to get some special bolts to do it, good as can be now except I do have to get 2 new tires because of the wearing issue from the bad allignment.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks "Six".

After I find out what the expected damage will cost I guess husband will need to make the final call on that.

We do know that within a couple years we would need to replace the timing belt. Recommended maintenance/replacement on this is 100,000 miles. Ted and I have already discussed that and when I had Steven on the phone we also talked about that. He said yes it definitely needs to be changed and the cost on that is around $1000.00 to $1200.00. Of course that is a lot cheaper than if the belt breaks and takes the motor with it.

The car still looks great, when it is washed and waxed it looks pretty darn nice, I always receive compliments on it from the guys at the car wash. They find it hard to believe that it is an 03. Especially since it sits out 24/7...LOL...along with the others. ::)

Then again as husband said when the time comes for the belt we need to decide, is the value of the VUE worth spending the money for the belt replacement or just sell it. That is a bridge that I hope we won't have to cross for a couple more years at least.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got into the VUE to head to Reichard this morning and.....I am jinxed...I swear I am.

Why? Because....the **** carpet on the drivers side was wet. Not soaking just enough for me to take notice. I checked the back...dry. I checked the passenger side....dry. I looked at the headliner front to back....not a water mark to see.

THEN when I was getting gas I noticed the right front tire was low. Now I had the tires rotated last week and they put air in each one so I guess there is a leak in that tire somewhere.

SIGHHH......

I did a bunch of errands this morning and now I am back at home, yep they gave me a loaner, LeSabre not the black 350,000+ loaner but a dark blue LeSabre with only 185,312 miles on it. WOOHOO just like getting a brand new...LOL...okay can't really complain after all they really don't need to do that for me now do they.

Steve at Reichard just now called and the result is they can't find where the water is coming in at. Perhaps it is just because it has been warm and then cold that moisture somehow collected. Drain lines are all connected and draining fine and the sunroof seal is intact. Perhaps with heavy rain we had over the past 2 days, 3.2" worth, it kind of overwhelmed the drain line.

Now as for the tire can't find where it would be losing air so he asked if neighborhood kids are letting the air out. I said well guess I will have to check the security cameras. ****!

So now the ABS brake, what I really was heading up there to be checked out. Yep he was able to pull a code and the right rear sensor is bad and...choke :'( ...part $316.00 and the labor $250.00. Not having that done right now. Bah humbug.

Not heading up until in the morning to pick up the VUE.

·
Registered
754 Posts
now- exactly what sensor?

the ABS sensor im seeing online for $45.

AC DELCO REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR ASSEMBLY -- A high quality, direct fit OE replacement rear wheel speed sensor assembly.

·
Registered
754 Posts
$35 on rock auto.
here I searched for 2003 Vue- wheel speed sensor.(I believe on these older cars- the wheel speed sensor and the ABS sensor are the same thing).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to have an 03 Vue - had 2 rear passenger side wheel speed sensors replaced under warranty before she hit 36k miles, had her for 82k miles - unfortunately this particular car (VUE) gave me reason to trade her in after the full year I had her paid for, so now we have had our 09 Outlook since Aug 09. I had bought the 03 Vue brand new in Nov 02 had 12 miles on it when I picked it up. - I was thankful it had a warranty with all the things I had to keep taking it back to the dealer for... But I'm a saturn fan, so I lived with her quirks.

If I remember correctly - the rear sensors where inside the hub - that is the reason for the pricey replacement. Once again - Thankful I had them replaced under warranty - It was the same wheel that failed 2 times.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wingmn said:
If I remember correctly - the rear sensors where inside the hub - that is the reason for the pricey replacement. Once again - Thankful I had them replaced under warranty - It was the same wheel that failed 2 times.
Yes it is inside the right rear hub. I guess I neglected to mention that. Thanks for mentioning what it was called.

rbarrios thanks for your photos and advice always appreciated!

Like I have said before the 03 VUE we have...problem free. Only maintenance - oil changes/brakes/tires/battery - nothing else.

Therefore this cost over all we can deal with it but just not at Christmas! Since husband will be driving it mostly starting when he returns from his business trip next week I think we can delay it until January.

Probably won't have the dealer do the work I just wanted to have Reichard pull the error code since my mechanic Ted was unable get his scanner to determine what the problem was. Ted had said if it was the sensor in the hub would be around 350-400 which is much better than the 560+.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The wheel speed sensor is inside the hub, and is not replaceable without replacing the entire hub assembly, hence the AC Delco price of + $300.00 and the labor of +$200.00. I am sure your local mechanic can do it for a lot less than what the dealer wants using an aftermarket assembly. Really not that hard of a job, especially on the rear. I've done at least four of them on several GM's my son has owned (Alero, Grand Am, and Rendezvous) Three of them on the front, only one on the rear.

The speed sensor others mentioned for about $40.00 is probable used along with the BCM or other modules to help the vehicle run properly at different speeds and sends info to the instrument cluster, transmission, etc. Has nothing to do with the traction/stabilizer/anti-brake system.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ls973800 Thanks for the information!

Yes I will be having my mechanic Ted do the work. As I said his scanner could not pull up the error code as to what the problem was which is why I took it up to Reichard.

I like Reichard and the work they are doing on the Enclave but as soon as the B2B warranty is out back to Ted I will go. Although that won't be for a while as the Enclave has 4 year B2B warranty. Also I am not sure if Ted will still have his station. He has talked about retiring and since he and I are the same age I bet I have to find another mechanic. Although I am pretty sure if I ask him he will find a mechanic to take his place.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sailfish said:
I like Reichard and the work they are doing on the Enclave
UT OH, what work have you had to get done on the 'E'?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6Sixathome said:
UT OH, what work have you had to get done on the 'E'?
OOPS! My mistake for wording it that way. Only have had the oil changed on the E and I have Richard do that. So far...the E is running like a top. Turned over 10,000 on the trip to Florida the week of Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Sailfish, I have read through the thread about your Vue. That is a tough call that you and your husband need to get worked at this time of year. :mad:

I am always happy to read that you are happy with Reichard. :thumb:

I hope your husband is having safe travels. :D

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Michelle. He called me this morning before heading out into the world of "no cell service". LOL unreachable by me and others...woohoo!! For me that is. ;)

I told him what Reichard said and yes we will need to get it fixed but it can wait until he comes back.

He also dropped another "car related" bomb on me. It seems that the right front wheel/brake on his 350Z must have thrown one of the brake pads because he was hearing some really bad noise and checked it out when he arrived at the airport yesterday afternoon. There is a pretty significant gouge on the rotor. So "cha-ching" another expense. :banghead:

Bahhh Humbug!

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Sailfish, my pleasure!!!!!

You are hilarious! Thank you for making me laugh.

Wow, I can understand why you wrote, "Bahhh Humbug!". I have always wondered why extra things that can break will break around the holiday season… HHHHMMMM!!!!

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In the past two weeks we have repaired the brakes on the 350Z and the ABS sensor on the 03 VUE.

Brakes on the 350Z was $250.00 and the repair work was handled by my mechanic Ted. New rotors and pads.

ABS brake sensor/hub on the 03 VUE was repaired yesterday and the cost came out to $265.00.

So let me think, the total cost for the 2 repairs $515.00. Hummmm okay I do really like Reichard but seriously the anticipated cost to repair JUST the ABS on the VUE was $516.00. :confused:

I think...yea I know...that is the reason that after warranty is over I will start taking the Enclave to Ted. That is if he hasn't retired by then. :help:

·
Registered
754 Posts
yeah lots of overhead at the dealer...

WHen my Trailblazer was nearing 130,000 --- it was running fine-- but I was going to drive 4300 miles round trip to Guadalajara Mexico...
SO as preventative maintenance- I decided to replace the factory FUEL pump.
I did the work myself. dropping the tank etc.

My Cost for parts and install- roughly $320.
Being Curious- I called a dealer and asked for the fuel pump change- $1300.

yikes!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sailfish said:
We do know that within a couple years we would need to replace the timing belt. Recommended maintenance/replacement on this is 100,000 miles. Ted and I have already discussed that and when I had Steven on the phone we also talked about that. He said yes it definitely needs to be changed and the cost on that is around $1000.00 to $1200.00. Of course that is a lot cheaper than if the belt breaks and takes the motor with it.
I'm assuming that you've got the 3.5L Honda V6, right? If so, then you absolutely need to change it at 100K. Honda engines are interference engines and if the belt breaks, valves and pistons meet and the results aren't good. $1000-$1200 seems on the high side, I would think you could get it done (with the water pump which is driven by the timing belt) for $600-$800. You might check with local Honda mechanics or even Honda dealers. That Honda V6 will run to 200K-300K pretty easily. The rest of the truck will wear out first. ;D

I changed mine on my Odyssey's 3.5 myself. Not a job for the faint of heart, but for a competent backyard mechanic it's not bad. You do need a special tool for the crank bolt. I changed the water pump too, but the old one looked brand new when I did. If I had to do it again I don't think I would change the water pump and save that $125.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately no it is the 3.0L V6. They started putting the Honda engines in I think in 2004. You should have heard my husband ranting on when we found out that they were going to start putting the Honda engines in. If we had known at the time we were considering the VUE we probably would have waited a few more months.

Thing is my pickup truck was making some strange noises and he didn't want to put any money into it. That and it was too hard to get my Mother into the truck. The VUE way easier, I consider the seats "butt" height for her. ;D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
She is still a great SUV and will be for a long time, right Sail :)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts