Saturn Outlook Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
LOL Michelle yep I have and it is a....sad or rather mad or rather frustrating result. Depends on how you look at it. So here goes.

WE ARE OFFICIALLY CAR BROKE!

Seriously we are. Dropped off the VUE this past Tuesday evening to be checked out AGAIN due to a vibration, after spending over $3100.00 on it, initially worked on by my "now former" mechanic in Centerville. :( Dag gone it I forgot to add in the cost for the ABS repair! Yea don't think I want to look that one up right now and add to the price. :help:

Of course this expenditure of money does not count the, let me think, $1400.00 spent on my husband's 350Z for not just one set of rear brakes but TWO sets. Again the first set was installed by my, now former, mechanic in Centerville. :banghead:

I need to get a set of tires ordered for his 350Z and also, get this, now the Saturn VUE also needs a set of tires. :sosad: You see I received a call the next morning about the VUE and the tires have tread but they are cracked and showing dry rot. CRAP! :eek:

So now what I don't get, and this is really kind of, okay not kind of it REALLY is pissing me off is just now many times I had the VUE at my "now former" mechanic in Centerville because our initial complaint was that there was vibration in the seat/steering wheel. So he determined that to solve that, and because I guess the parts were rusted, we needed to fork over for the replacement of all parts pertaining to the front struts. AND we still was experiencing that darn vibrating after the repair.

I then had it back to have the tires taken off of the rims AND had the edges of the rims cleaned of rust, because the tires were not holding air, which was also an initial complaint when we had the left rear ABS hub replaced (first work BEFORE the struts) AND in doing so they took the tires off the rim and remounted tje tires AND, get this they didn't balance them, they just placed the weights were they were initially. :banghead:

Well now after that the tires were still not holding air so, yep you got it, ::) we had to go back to get all of the valve stems replaced, heck after all the tires were still not holding air. Oh and yep still having that **** vibration going on. So now, how many trips is this so far, my blind faith and all those years of trust which built up, kept me going back. Yep I did, I also went to back and get the tires re-balanced AND after that still having that **** "vibration" going on...just explain something to me, about the tires that is.

How in the **** didn't my "now former" mechanic notice the tires were cracked and should be replaced after that many times back again and again for the vibration and the tires loosing air all the time? Oh and, I am sure you are happy, I didn't discuss again the "catalytic convertors, which I did below anyway.

SERIOUSLY!!!! Was he blind or, and I really really want to believe this, did the mechanic who works for him just totally ignore what seems to be obvious?

So CAR BROKE **** I haven't ordered the tires for the 350Z yet and now I have to do this?

ROFLMAO and to think I was actually thinking about getting my husband a new BBQ grill as an anniversary present this month. I think the presents are going to be....me giving him a set of tires for his 350Z and husband giving me a set of tires for the VUE.

It really really really is looking like that trip to the west coast I want to do in October, you know in celebration of my 60th birthday...isn't going to happen.

**** **** **** ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So to add to the above....and this part I am :banghead:. After receiving the call Wednesday morning from the other shop, where my classmate works and who replaced the brakes on husband's 350Z, which was the second set within 30 days, a totally long story and not going there.

I called the trusty former mechanic Ted Wednesday afternoon and spoke with him about the 350Z and the VUE and that after spending ALL that money on the VUE, putting the 350Z aside for the moment, we STILL HAVE THAT **** VIBRATION going on.

The phone call lasted probably 15 minutes and I was nice, I really was, or in reality as my husband always says, I was really into my pleasantly sarcastic mood and that, was a good thing, especially for Ted.

Ted asked that I bring the VUE by and let him look at the tires, LOL REALLY? AND yep I did I moseyed over there Thursday morning and as soon as I pulled into the lot Ted walked out and as soon as I stopped the VUE he was checking out those tires. Yep...loving this, or rather not, some dry rot in the treads and some cracking and dry rot showing up on the side walls. WTH? I didn't say anything I just looked at him with my left eye brow raised, I do that when I am starting to get pissed off, and no other expression showing on my face.

Now Tim, the mechanic who worked on the VUE was out yet was due back any minute, so I handed the keys over to Ted and said "take it for a spin, on the interstate, get it up to between 60-70 and tell me what you think". So off Ted went while I went inside and waited talking to the woman who works the desk, nice lady. She and I talked and she said Ted mentioned that we still had the vibration. Yea and I told her about the "other" things that cropped up with the Z and that my husband is so very very pissed off at Ted. Heck I told my husband that I wasn't going to come back here but well I wanted to get his side of the story.

Tim arrived back right before Ted did and when Ted arrived back he had Tim take the VUE for a spin. Guess it takes two mechanics to figure out what is going on with the VUE. :confused:

Tim came back and drove right into one of the bays and then there she goes, VUE up and up and up. Ted and Tim walked around and around looking at each tire and then Ted says to me "Can you come in here please".

Okay there are really three things he is about to say, and one I was really laughing over.

Tim said he didn't notice the dry rot before, like DUHHH, nope that isn't what I was laughing about.

Then he mentioned that....the back wheels could need to be balanced. Now that got a definite...raised left eyebrow again out of me and I just passed that one by as well, after all they did balance the wheels before when I brought it back because there STILL was a vibration AFTER they had installed the new struts and such in the front. Oh and I can't forget even after they had taken the tires off the rims and cleaned the rims and remounted the tires. Yea I didn't even go there.

Then Ted showed me the right front wheel how easily it would spin, okay... Then he showed me the left front wheel how it does not easily spin :jaw: ...are you seeing where I am heading with this? Ted said that the....and this is the word I started laughing over....the brake CALIPER, yep that was the word, appears to be not fully opening.(this connects with the 350Z and the second set of brakes because one of the calipers locked up and is why the brakes were replaced twice within 30 days)

When I calmed down from all that laughter, and I did have tears starting to form in my eyes from the laughter, I looked at Ted and said..."you have got to be shitting me because I just know that my husband isn't going to like my telling him that". Ted said that could cause some of the vibration. Then in my own mind I was thinking...WTH...how many times did they have the **** wheels off the VUE and they NEVER noticed that? I mean don't you when you put the wheels back on you will spin the tires around to put the lug nuts back on? So wouldn't that be noticed then? Okay I will admit I have never changed a flat tire in my life, so please explain that tome okay? AND WE STILL HAD ALL THAT **** VIBRATION I KEPT TELLING HIM ABOUT! :bs:

Well that are the three things, yet there is still this, Ted asked was if I noticed a noise...as in he said that he heard a noise and he is concerned that it may be the differential going out. :puke: I just said nope I didn't, yet the other "guy" who found the dry rot said that he did but he was thinking more on the lines of a wheel bearing going out, but I sure as **** wasn't telling Ted that.

Over dinner Thursday night, I was nice and I took my husband out to a restaurant, less chance on him getting so upset in public, although he never ever really gets upset. I told him what I did and it was everything I just wrote.

Last thing my husband said, after he had absorbed everything, was well guess we need to get the VUE back to Steve, but not now. Since it is a secondary car and it can sit for a while longer, before it will be needed this coming winter, we can wait. Yes we can wait on getting the brake caliper fixed and wait on getting the tires for it and wait on finding out if it is a wheel bearing or perhaps a differential going out. :confused: Oh and of course my husband also said..." you know we complained about the vibration from the very beginning plus a few times in between and they had the wheels off the VUE more than once". I agreed at least 3 times, heck perhaps more I didn't count when I was writing this.

What my husband wanted to know was WHY didn't Ted and his mechanic notice that then, about the tires and of course the brake caliper. I had no answer because I didn't want to ask Ted the question because I just know that my "pleasantly sarcastic" self would be not so pleasant. Then he also mentioned that it seems like every time we take the VUE to Ted and get some work done, right after that, something else always seems to go wrong. I can't argue with him on that point, because I really was thinking the same thing. :violent:

After he calmed down, at least after his blood pressure came back down a tad, I kind of mentioned the new AWD LaCrosse or perhaps another smaller AWD suv and the response was....NO! Yep a plain and simple answer....NO.

Oh and the anniversary presents...yea getting the tires for the Z for my husband but for now I am looking at also getting myself a new BBQ grill instead of a set of tires for the VUE, after all it does appear that our vacations, are going to be right here at home this year.

So now the adventures of Sailfish....kind of an on going thing.

Have a great day and catch you all later and I sure as heck hope you weren't bored. :'(

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
So after putting a whole lot more money into the VUE since last May we have decided to start looking for a replacement.

Next week I have an appointment at Reichard for service on the 11 Enclave, oil change/tires rotated and such. Plan is to check out the new little Buick Encore everyone is talking about. Heck I also plan on looking at the GMC Terrain since that is more of the size of the VUE, the Encore is smaller than that.

Should be interesting as when I called to make my appointment I also then spoke with my salesman. They have 3 Encore's on the lot and have had lots of traffic in to see the new little car, but no sales as of yet.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sailfish said:
So after putting a whole lot more money into the VUE since last May we have decided to start looking for a replacement.

Next week I have an appointment at Reichard for service on the 11 Enclave, oil change/tires rotated and such. Plan is to check out the new little Buick Encore everyone is talking about. Heck I also plan on looking at the GMC Terrain since that is more of the size of the VUE, the Encore is smaller than that.

Should be interesting as when I called to make my appointment I also then spoke with my salesman. They have 3 Encore's on the lot and have had lots of traffic in to see the new little car, but no sales as of yet.
Wonder why, I figured they could'nt keep them on the shelf ???

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I don't know I would have thought that as well. Although I haven't really seen any ad's around here on television about the Encore so more than likely the only ones who know about it would be the customers of their dealership.

Then again, perhaps people are skeptical towards first model year vehicles. LOL like we were not when we purchased the 07 Outlook's, first model year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Encore is an odd duck to me. It's tall like an SUV, but it's not. It's quite small. I think it may be on the same platform as the Chevy Sonic, but it looks taller and skinnier and more awkward. It seems an odd fit for Buick.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
salguod said:
The Encore is an odd duck to me. It's tall like an SUV, but it's not. It's quite small. I think it may be on the same platform as the Chevy Sonic, but it looks taller and skinnier and more awkward. It seems an odd fit for Buick.
Not sure what platform as it is manufactured in Korea.

Here is an ad video I ran across and posted on the Enclave board earlier.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Sailfish said:
Not sure what platform as it is manufactured in Korea.
Figured it out. According to Autoblog, "The Encore's platform is based on Gamma II architecture, which is related to – but not identical – to the framework underneath the Chevrolet Sonic." So I was, sotra, right. ;D

EDIT: A bit more on the Gamma II from Wikipedia:

Current and announced vehicles based on GSV platform:

• 2010 - present Chevrolet Spark
  • 2011 - present Chevrolet Aveo/Sonic
  • 2011 - present Chevrolet Cobalt
  • 2012 - present Opel/Vauxhall Mokka, Buick Encore
  • 2012 - present Opel Adam
  • 2012 - present Chevrolet Spin
  • 2013 - present Chevrolet Trax, Holden Trax
  • 2013 - present Chevrolet Onix
  • 2014 Opel Corsa E
Gamma II concept vehicles:

• 2010 - Chevrolet Aveo RS concept car

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
That's it, the Opal is what I initially heard. Thanks for the information.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts