Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a period of time where I wasn't dealing with some sort of repair on the Outlook to get this last 160K maintenance item started.

Did the front bank and the plugs didn't look too bad considering I'm at 175,000km (old vs. new in second photo).

It wasn't without its tribulations...I swear that the Incredible Hulk installed two of them - for a while I wondered if I would ever have enough torque to turn them without them snapping. Hopefully none of the rear bank are in that tight.

Also had the spark plug socket detach from the socket extension and leave the socket stuck in the bottom of the spark plug well. After some effort I was able to retrieve it - I found a tip on the web to use electrical tape on your extension to prevent this from happening (see pic).

I'm going to tackle the rear bank plugs one at a time over a few Saturday mornings as I anticipate they will be more challenging :) Will report back how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did the same at ~60k miles to correct a misfire at highway speed + load (uphill climbs). I think it was a 2 hour job for all six plugs. Mine loosened right up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On to the rear banks today, starting with Cylinder 1. Took about an hour, with half of that being time struggling with removing the electrical connector - found it challenging with the tab facing away and little room to get two hands in there.

Thankfully my lovely assistant was able to help with her soft and small hands to release the connector and the rest was pretty easy. :)

The spark plug from cylinder 1 looked better than those from the front banks - less soot / carbon.

Taking the rest of the day off to swim and relax, moving onto cylinder 3 next Saturday.

·
Registered
754 Posts
just replaced my plugs at 100,001.
Mine looked different-

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rbarrios said:
just replaced my plugs at 100,001.
Mine looked different-

Wow those do look great, best I've seen so far on any of the boards. Interesting, the part number on your plugs is different than my 2008...did they change the part for the DI engines?

--

I did finish up changing cylinder 3 and 5 over the last two Saturday mornings. Again, removing the electrical connector with one hand always seemed to be the most difficult part.

For those with the NON-DI engines, I found reaching over the top of the engine worked well to get at everything you needed (my forearm barely fit). I know some folks had mentioned removing the air intake to go at cylinder 5 from the right side - was glad I didn't need to do this. My Haynes manual strangely recommended removing the engine fuse block for access - again I did not need to do this.

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts