Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i go into detail, has anyone had issues with there break pedal making squeaky noises during compression and release?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. It's worse if I apply pressure at a slight angle. I haven't gotten around to looking at it. If you do first - let us know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had it in. They replaced the brake booster but that wasnt it. They are working with saturn to figure out what it is but they arent sure yet

·
Registered
20 Posts
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=2868.0

firebird said:
I know it sounds crazy but I just took my Enclave in for service this morning, oil change tire rotation, and I mentioned the squeaky brake pedal that I had posted about earlier in this thread. Service Mgr came to tell me that lubrication did not fix the noise so they checked for outstanding TSB's and found PIT3779D which said to flush all brake fluid and replace with any DOT 3 compliant fluid & NOT to use GM brand brake fluid! Hows that for weird? Do not use GM fluid.... He said that was the first time they had run into this at this Dealership, and this Dealership has sold quite a few Enclaves.
Once again. This is not noise from the brakes themselves, but noise from the brake pedal area only when the engine is running. When the engine was off & you pressed the pedal there was no noise. I drove home about 10 miles with numerous stoplights & no noise.. I see that Enclave08 had posted a different numbered TSB so I don't know whats up with that? thumbs up

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Mine sqeeks a little but I dont see how changing the brake fluid will stop the sqeek. ??? It does'nt really bother me at all and I probably would not have noticed it if I would not have read this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
compnurd said:
Before i go into detail, has anyone had issues with there break pedal making squeaky noises during compression and release?
From the Enclave forum:

FYI:

To all Buick and GMC Dealers & Saturn Retailers:

Products Affected: Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK

A squeak noise that sounds like it is originating from the brake pedal or brake booster assembly may be reported by a customer. PIT 3779E was developed as a possible correction for this noise. Please refer to this PI when diagnosing a concern with a squeak noise when applying or releasing the brake pedal. Many brake parts are being replaced for this condition, such as brake pedal assembly, brake vacuum booster and/or brake master cylinder, as identified by the parts returned to the Warranty Parts Center. These parts should not be necessary to correct this customer concern. A revised brake fluid that will contain an additional additive to eliminate this noise will be intoduced into production soon. This same fluid will be available for service in the near future, as well. A bulletin will be published when with the revised fluid becomes available.[/color]

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can't believe it, I wasn't imagining things!! My Saturn dealer tried to tell me the air whooshing from the brake was normal.  I keep trying to tell them it isn't air that I hear, it is an audible squeak but they don't believe me.  It doesn't help that the squeak tends to disappear when my Outlook is warm and since my Saturn dealer is an hour away, they can't ever hear it.

EDIT UPDATE 2/28/08: Just got a call today from my local Saturn dealer. He finally found the bulletin (that I apparently had to tell him about) and confirmed they are waiting for the new fluid. I told him so :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Since my last post I've noticed mine getting louder and louder, Its kind of getting anoying.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My Saturn dealer has called and let me know the fluid is in. I haven't had a chance to get there since they are an hour away but will likely try to get up there this week.

My dealer is Saturn of Modesto

·
Registered
4 Posts
ABC Mom,
What is the name and number of the service person you are dealing with at that dealership? When you get the fluid changed please report back about what the service bulletin # is that is related to the new fluid and the part number for the fluid.
I have called your dealer and received a part number of 88862806 for the new fluid and a PI document # of PIT 3779F, although when I call my dealer and look at gm parts websites neither exist. Mind you my dealer is on the east coast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, unfortunately I spoke to soon. Jethro at Saturn of Modesto just let me know that our Outlooks aren't listed on this bulletin...yet. I asked him what I might be able to do to expedite it, you know, squeaky break pedal gts the oil deal? He said the only thing I could do is call Saturn Cares and ask them why we aren't listed. So if anyone else is having a squeaky break pedal issue and can't get it fixed, call 1-800-553-6000. I haven't called yet but will in about an hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ABC Mom,
I got the document faxed to me from your Saturn dealership. It states right on the document that this new document PIT 3779F supercedes PIT3779E which was a document sent out concerning your Outlook. So what you were told does not really hold true.
I agree the new document does not list the Outlook but it replaces a document for the Outlook.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok so if it doesn't list it now, but did on the original bulletin, can they still perform the work? If they can, why did they tell me they can't (other than the obvious)? What are the magic words to make this happen. And regardless of whether or not this is a bulletin, wouldn't this be covered under my warranty? I reported the squeaky break pedal the first time I took it for service in September 07, so what would be the hold up with this. Can anyone tell me the magic words to make this happen and maybe even make it happen on a Saturday :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
ABCMom,
Not sure I have any magic words.
I would have the service writer look up the PIT 3779E document and have him print it out.
Then have him look up the PIT 3779F document and print that out.
Now tell him to read both. Hopefully the little light should go off in his head that the new one does indeed apply to your vehicle even though it does not state it.
The new document PIT 3779F states that "This PI was superseded to update models and Part Numbres. (Yes its a typo and what is written on the document.) Please discard PIT3779E"
There is always the squeaky wheel approach you have mentioned before.
I would hope in the very near future GM will publish another PI that specifically states the Outlook, Acadia, and the Enclave.
If you get any new info. please post it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife's Mustang had this awful brake squeak. The dealer claimed it was normal. When I checked the master cylinder, the brake fluid was about 1/2 way since the brakes have worn. All I did was fill new fluid to the "max" mark and the squeak is much, much less. When I do brakes on this car I will flush the fluid and that should take care of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Update,
PIT3779F- this now includes the Lambda platforms.
It states to switch brake fluid to new GM fluid part #88862806, (Canada 88862807)

I have read on one other forum that this might not be a fix to the problem. Person stated that this PIT has been canceled and no new info. available.
So ask the service writer before you drop your vehicle off for this repair so you don't end up wasting your time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same squeaky/ creaky brake pedal noise in my 2008 Outlook. I brought it in to be serviced at Saturn of Norwood, MA. I printed out this thread and they fixed the problem. They don't squeak at all anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a squeeky brake pedal also. My dealer fixed it. they changs the fluid in it. the old fluid was not lubing some part correctly. Saturn of Western Hills in Cincinnati OH fixed mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts