Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I bought a 2008 Outlook three weeks ago, and it's already in the shop for the 2nd time! There's a really annoying popping noise that vibrates the floor when I turn the steering wheel sharply. The tech here tells me its a common problem, that Saturn issued an advisory about it, and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire steering column.
they did that first...but it's still happening. ugh! anyone else gone through this..and what did you do about it? I've heard such great things about Saturns..but so far, I'm not impressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same noise was happening with mine. Had the steering column replaced maybe about 6-8 months ago and the specific clicking sound hasn't come back. However with in the past coupe of months a new sound seems to be emanating from the column, not as "clicky" as the first, but still anoying. Happens mostly while turning at low speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! My Outlook is an 07 with almost 40,000 miles on it...I had a nasty humming noise in the steering column quite some time ago and they replaced the power steering fluid with synthetic fluid and the sound went away. Now I have a slight whine when I turn my steering wheel. I took the truck in this morning and the service techs said there was a couple of bulletins about the sound and they really have not found what the issue is but they did the two things the bulletin said to do and when I left it is now whining worse and popping when I turn the wheel...I am not sure what the malfunction is...Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
For few weeks, I got also a noise but no vibration. I went to dealer and they found fluid missing. This give air on the system and create the noise. They fill it and purge it and it is OK now. They have a techinical note to over full the power steering fluid level. But now, I will watch it!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
tanya102599 said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! My Outlook is an 07 with almost 40,000 miles on it...I had a nasty humming noise in the steering column quite some time ago and they replaced the power steering fluid with synthetic fluid and the sound went away. Now I have a slight whine when I turn my steering wheel. I took the truck in this morning and the service techs said there was a couple of bulletins about the sound and they really have not found what the issue is but they did the two things the bulletin said to do and when I left it is now whining worse and popping when I turn the wheel...I am not sure what the malfunction is...Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a whine and steering wheel vibration on my 2007 XE at 10,500 miles and took it to the dealer and was fixed by replacing the power steering pump. problem solved

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 08 XE AWD. It seems like the steering tube is the cause, but replacing it is not going to fix the problem. so the question then becomes, will it fail about 3 months out of warranty?
I have no idea why GM would allow this type of steering assembly to go out to its customers. We as owners have the burden of proff that there is something actually wrong. I have now been told that basicly this is the way it is and I am now expected to live with it. But it sucks because its noisy and I feel that paying 30K for a vehicle should get you a vehicle that doesn't make weird noises when I turn the wheel.

:mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts