Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my original issue a few weeks ago was that half of the speakers in the Outlook weren't working. I thought for sure it was the radio and instead of testing them out I went ahead and upgraded to the OEM Nav Unit. We wanted to do the upgrade anyways so no big deal.

However, the speakers were apparantely the issue. Out of the 6 speakers only 3 of them are working. So I pulled the doors off and took a known good and tested it on the known bad. I then took the speakers that weren't working and tried the "AA" battery test and get nothing.

Has anybody seen 3 speakers just go out completely? They are the cheap paper speakers made in Mexico so I'm not totally surprised but didn't know if anybody else experienced that. I wonder if the previous owner blew them up or what.

Anyhow, I ordered new Alpines for the doors and A pillars and Infinity's for the rear doors. Supposed to be here tomorrow so I guess it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2007 Outlook. Not sure the model but it does have the sun roofs.

I did look and didn't see any water damage on the speakers or the connectors on the speakers. And when I plug a working spekear in it works so it's definately not related to wiring.

Just seems really odd that 3 of them would be dead with no visual signs of damage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not really. The quality of speakers aren't all that high in OEM applications. Neither are the radios themselves. This is why the stereos are set to produce less bass the louder you turn them up. This helps keep the speakers from clipping so much. Because of this, you can use a cheaper speaker. Sometimes on certain cd's the music is set a little bit loud so the stereo can't compensate like it is suppose to. When this happens, you can have the speakers clipping even though it may not be audible. Over time they overheat and go bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Infinities I had Best Buy put in the doors sound a lot better than the crap stock a couple years ago. Granted since I have an XE (no subwoofer) and I didn't want to put a box sub in it sounds decent compared to the previous substandard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We have an 08 XE with the upgraded premium sound with sub. I am actually very impressed with the quality of sound.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I agree that the stock 6 speaker system is CRAP!
Remember the old DELCO systems in the late 80's early 90's, those kicked @$$ :rock:
My FIL has a RAM with the Infinity sound system :eek:, probably the best stock system I've heard while CRANKED

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '07 Outlook and my driver's side speakers are all out too, except for the tweeter that's mounted up near the window. Has this been a common problem with anyone else lately?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep I also had both front door speakers and one rear stop working. I also first replaced the head unit. Now I have infinity in the doors. No evidence of water anywhere on or around the speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced the front door speakers with kickers and it was a pain in the ass. had to cutout the oem speaker to use the mounting bracket, which the new speaker barely had room. Mysteriously, the rear speaker started working again after replacing the front. still gonna replace the rears though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem here Saturn Outlook XR AWD 2008
After 4 years, All rear Speaker and right door speaker not working anymore.

That's odd.
This is a defect that too many owners got with this car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same problem here, we have the extended warranty and guess what....yep not covered. Seems it don't cover the things that break all the time, go figure!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
maxxedout said:
Same problem here, we have the extended warranty and guess what....yep not covered. Seems it don't cover the things that break all the time, go figure!!
What type of extended warranty? Is it the GMPP or an aftermarket one. If GMPP, is it the Major Guard? I'm just asking because if it is the Major Guard, they are covered according to their policy information.

·
Registered
214 Posts
maxxedout said:
Got to check think it is major guard, the dealer told me it was not covered
Here's a link to the Major Guard coverage if that is what you have.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/majorguard.html

Note this allowed coverage for your situation.

Electrical, computer and audio components

Further down on that page is a list of what is not covered. Speakers are not listed as not covered. Your dealer is incorrect in saying they are not covered.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have so many electrical issues. My passenger side front and rear door speakers work when they feel like it no matter what I do. Now my Bluetooth is only coming through the tweeters. The chime for the lights on, or keys in the ignition can only be faintly heard. I love this car but all these electrical issues make me want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
09carbon8 said:
I have so many electrical issues. My passenger side front and rear door speakers work when they feel like it no matter what I do. Now my Bluetooth is only coming through the tweeters. The chime for the lights on, or keys in the ignition can only be faintly heard. I love this car but all these electrical issues make me want to get rid of it.
I'm experiencing the same symptoms with my 2008 fwd xe, any progress with yours effecting a fix? Also my park assist is also really faint if it works at all although i still see the lights going from yellow yellow red, any help is appreciated

1 - 20 of 30 Posts