Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Sunroof leak

29K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Amendoza 
#1 ·
So, going through the carwash last week I was looking up at the sunroof to see if I could notice any leaks when I was hit in the face with a couple drips of water. After the carwash was done, I looked up into the sunroof and saw quite a few water beads around the rear portion of the sunroof. Since I was conveniently at the dealer, I drove in to show them. The service tech told me he thinks they are starting a campaign on the sunroofs of the '08 models, anyone heard anything more?

After a day in the shop, they told me they could only replicate the leak under high pressure and that the seal isn't designed to stop high pressure water and is designed to leak and that the drip trays would handle the water. Think this is true? Also, this car hasn't seen rain yet (being in MN), could it be an issue driving in rain at highway speeds?

#2 ·
Yes the seal around the sunroof is supposed to let water by ??? :confused: There is recall on 07' and 08''s w/ the sunroof to get the drain tubes repaired to correct the leaking, I should know about leaking, my 07' was replaced w/ a 09' because of a ongoing leak, so get yours done, but the little bit of water that gets by the seal will go into the tray and not be a problem. Hope this helps ;)

#3 ·
6Sixathome said:
Yes the seal around the sunroof is supposed to let water by ??? :confused: There is recall on 07' and 08''s w/ the sunroof to get the drain tubes repaired to correct the leaking, I should know about leaking, my 07' was replaced w/ a 09' because of a ongoing leak, so get yours done, but the little bit of water that gets by the seal will go into the tray and not be a problem. Hope this helps ;)
SIX...that's what I thought too...having the same issue w/ my Acadia. Check out my new post from today on this forum and let me know if you'd be intested in talking w/ me about your 07 to 09 replacement and how that all went down... Thanks...I belong to the AcadiaForum but figured I pop on over here to get an idea on the prevalence of this ridiculous water leak that GM is shirking it's duty on....

E

#4 ·
Texicb said:
SIX...that's what I thought too...having the same issue w/ my Acadia. Check out my new post from today on this forum and let me know if you'd be intested in talking w/ me about your 07 to 09 replacement and how that all went down... Thanks...I belong to the AcadiaForum but figured I pop on over here to get an idea on the prevalence of this ridiculous water leak that GM is shirking it's duty on....

E
Quick question for you guys: Are you seeing water leak past the sunroof seal when it's raining, or is it coming from somewhere else? From my viewpoint, it shouldn't matter if the tubes are clogged, pinched, whatever...water should not be getting past that seal! I would assume that these trays are designed for draining water if you leave your sunroof tilted up when it rains.

All of my cars have had sunroofs, and I've NEVER noticed water on the inside, even the fiance's '07 G6.

Thanks, and hope all works out for you guys. I passed my first rain test last week!

#5 ·
bloc0102 said:
Quick question for you guys: Are you seeing water leak past the sunroof seal when it's raining, or is it coming from somewhere else? From my viewpoint, it shouldn't matter if the tubes are clogged, pinched, whatever...water should not be getting past that seal! I would assume that these trays are designed for draining water if you leave your sunroof tilted up when it rains.

All of my cars have had sunroofs, and I've NEVER noticed water on the inside, even the fiance's '07 G6.

Thanks, and hope all works out for you guys. I passed my first rain test last week!
Depending on who and which dealer you ask you will get different answers.

The drains are not for if you leave your sunroof open, doesn't really make sense for that, but some dealers are sticking with that answer. These drains are here in the event water does get past the sunroof. I have never had a sunroof before but have seen some and this design seems different.

#6 ·
Re: Sunroof leak..again

2007 XR..To start..I'm fed up! Gas guzzling, leaking and now some clunking noise when I am turning. I've been to the dealer on three occasions for the sunroof leaks and recalls. The leaks also happens on a rainy day when I enter on the driver side. You can see the drops accumulating on the rubber seal while you're in the car. It's like the seals are permeable or a sponge that has been soaked! I hate it when GM wasn't honest with the mileage but this constant leaking is totally unacceptable. Before, I forget, the leaking does affect the electrical systems particularly the emergency brake light. The emergency lite would come on but you won't be able to figure it out till you see the leaking. The saturn service center is very friendly but I can tell you it's wearing them down with this inferior product. Forget getting a new one, they don't even want to talk. I suggest trading it in before the warranty period is over.

#7 ·

SaturnNorth said:
2007 XR..To start..I'm fed up! Gas guzzling, leaking and now some clunking noise when I am turning. I've been to the dealer on three occasions for the sunroof leaks and recalls. The leaks also happens on a rainy day when I enter on the driver side. You can see the drops accumulating on the rubber seal while you're in the car. It's like the seals are permeable or a sponge that has been soaked! I hate it when GM wasn't honest with the mileage but this constant leaking is totally unacceptable. Before, I forget, the leaking does affect the electrical systems particularly the emergency brake light. The emergency lite would come on but you won't be able to figure it out till you see the leaking. The saturn service center is very friendly but I can tell you it's wearing them down with this inferior product. Forget getting a new one, they don't even want to talk. I suggest trading it in before the warranty period is over.
I live where there is only 2 highways and you don't use them that much and drive times are usually only about 10 to 15 minutes. That is why I only average about 13 to 14 in the city, I can live with that because of where I live. On the highway however I get around 26 and it is great.

I just had the 18,000 service done and the injectors cleaned especially since there was already a good deal of carbon built up. In just the 20 miles I have driven there has been a very noticable difference in the acceleration, engine hum, and mpg. You might have your injectors checked if you haven't already and see if it makes a difference.

As far as the drivers side door leaking, could the door be out of alignment? I have never had a problem there. Once the drain tubes where fixed on mine, I have not had anymore leaking. Been great for a year now.

#9 ·
jsimms said:
I didn't realize the Outlook was having the same problems; although they are made on the same assembly line
My first Outlook which was a 07' was replaced by GM because of a ongoing sunroof leak issue.

#11 ·
I have an 07 Outlook. It has had chronic water problems along with power steering failure. I am in the process of the lemon law process and GM has contacted me for possible settlement. THey have requested my payment history and I am expecting an offer anytime now. Just curious to hear from people who have been successful in GM buybacks and/or repurchases? How is worked, what you were offered, what you decided to do. . . .

#12 ·
hayduk said:
I have an 07 Outlook. It has had chronic water problems along with power steering failure. I am in the process of the lemon law process and GM has contacted me for possible settlement. THey have requested my payment history and I am expecting an offer anytime now. Just curious to hear from people who have been successful in GM buybacks and/or repurchases? How is worked, what you were offered, what you decided to do. . . .
I sent you a PM

#13 ·
Well, it was raining lightly yesterday. I got into my Outlook, and checked out the sunroof to see water dripping in! So far, the drain tubes seemed to be doing their job. Have an appt at the dealership today. If the water isn't backing up the drain tubes and into the headliner, are the dealerships even doing anything about the sunroofs leaking during rain? To me, this is unacceptable. Why the f--- would you design a sunroof to leak?!?!? :angryfire:

#14 ·

SaturnNorth said:
hello all,
I hear you loud and clear about the leaking, I would not want to tolerate it either. Higher fuel costs than expected is also a very annoying thing in today's world of fluctuating oil prices and poor economy. It sounds like in general you like the vehicle but not the quirks and leaks. Is there no alternative to getting rid of it?

I do not understand why the seals are not made better, many cars seem to have an issue with sun-roof leakage. Is this model any worse than another, or have you seen stats on it? I hope you get it resolved in a good way, real soon!!!

need legal help with insurance issues.....insurance bad faith

#16 ·
My Outlook seems much quieter on the highway after the sunroof was replaced. Hopefully that means it won't leak when it rains. I'll report back after the next rainfall...sounds like snow this weekend though!

#17 ·
I realize this is an actual problem but it seems like it is happening more often in car washes. Do you think the pressure is too much? I have never taken mine through a car wash. Scared of nuts being tied to the brushes. Anyway I have an '08 XE and have never had a single problem. I thought it was cause the '08's didn't have the leak problem but now I am reading that they do. So I am wondering if they are being caused by the pressure from car washes? Just a thought.

#18 ·
Automatic car washes with blow drying are notorious about flexing the sheet metal on the roof of a vehicle. Every car I have owned, regardless of make/model, has presented the blood curdling sound of the roof sheet metal flexing with the blower. There is not enough roof supports in most vehicles to not allow this flexing. Also, the air pressure can cause the weather seal to push away from the sheet metal much as you experience around door frames or frameless windows in high wind gusts.

I would not be concerned about a few drops being forced through in a car wash. If you have a leak that exceeds the drain capabilities or runs into the interior of the vehicle then it IS A CAUSE FOR ALARM.

My 2009 Outlook sounds like a whoopy cushion and sounds like the metal is a musical flexing saw blade when going through the car wash blowers, but I have yet to see any water flowing in around the sunroof.

#21 ·
After a recent torrential downpour my wife said she had water dripping on her left foot. I immediately thought the sunroof went after a year. We put it in for service and the dealer said the driver door was out of alignment and they replaced the gasket too. They removed the headliner and checked the sunroof, but it was fine. I hope they are right. I am disappointed that I sent in a spotless vehicle and they returned it all water spotted up from checking for a leak, but not washing it. I had washed it the day before. I know they are probably down from GM dumping them, earlier than expected, but dissing the customer isn't going to help.

#22 ·
If your door was out of alignment check out my other post here I have all four doors scraping away paint down to the primer on the upper door jambs and the two back doors have scrape small spots down to the metal by the locking mechanism. It will be interesting what the dealer's response will be from Corporate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.