Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I was changing spark plugs on my 2009 today, and when I pulled the #6 plug, it was covered in oil. I am confident no oil is getting into the cylinder because the engine is running smooth, no trouble codes or anything, and I even put a probe into it, it came out clean. I am certain the oil is coming from above, because there was a lot on the wall of the chamber the coil pack seats in.

I have changed a number of my own coil packs, so I don't have any trouble stripping it down that far. Do those plug/coil pack chambers have their own seals? Is it part of the valve cover seal?

I have a feeling I could do this job myself, but maybe it's more complicated than
I think.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, probably a "spark plug tube seal". Any advice, instructions on removing the valve covers?

·
Registered
142 Posts
PM me your email address and I can send you the section of the repair manual you need.
Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I think I probably have this figured out. I do NOT think this is a replaceable tube seal that is found on the valve cover, since I saw no indication the leak was coming from the top. I think the most likely scenario is that the liquid sealant used where the plug tube is seated into the head has failed. I just found a couple places on the web where people pull a vacuum on the tube, then squeeze the sealant araound the outside of it, to pull the sealant in.

I don't think I'm going to worry about it much. The coil boot kept any oil from getting up to the ceramic, and
I doubt any is getting past the threads into the cylinder.

·
Registered
754 Posts
the tubes cant be replaced- theyre fused in.

Most likely Porosity allowing oil in.

But if youre up there in mileage and no misfires...

then the easiest thing is to clean it up--- and leave it alone.
in the future- if you do get a misfire in that cylinder-- just clean it up and change the plug if need be.

this is info on newer models.

Fluid in Spark Plug Tubes
March 25, 2013

A Check Engine light may be illuminated with misfire DTCs set, or a possible oil or coolant leak may be found, on some 2010-2013 Enclave, LaCrosse, CTS, SRX, Camaro, Equinox, Traverse, Acadia, Terrain; 2012-2013 Caprice PPV, Captiva, Impala; 2013 ATS and XTS models equipped with 3.0L and 3.6L (RPOs LF1, LFW, LLT, LFX) HFV6 engines.

On inspection, coolant or oil may be found in a spark plug tube. Determine if the oil or coolant is coming from the spark plug tube and not leaking into it from above. If the spark plug tube is leaking, replace the cylinder head, spark plug and coil.

Porous spots in the head created during manufacturing cause the leak. The spark plug tubes are permanently sealed into the head and are not replaceable.

If a cylinder head is replaced for this condition, mark the faulty spark plug tube before sending the head in for warranty or core so GM Engineering or the re-manufacturing facility can identify it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny thing is, of the 4 coil packs I've had to replace, this isn't one of them. :thumb:

Would be nice if they'd be willing to replace the head for this, since they know it's a manufacturing issue.

I've never built a head, but think I probably could.

·
Registered
754 Posts
theyd say not-- due to it being a 2009--- and not 2010-13

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ikaria73 said:
SR, did you try the vacuum? Did it worked? I tried it but it didn't help me and was wondering how it worked for you.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner to your question. No, I didn't do anything more, just going to live with it for the time being.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts