Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Outlook XE front wheel drive... It is approaching 64K miles and I have never had the brakes done.
I just made an appointment to have them checked and likely have pads replaced... they still seem to work well, but I do notice if I brake at hight speeds (over 50 mph) I feel a pulsing in the brake pedal. The owners manual states:
Your vehicle has disc brakes. Disc brake pads have
built-in wear indicators that make a high-pitched warning
sound when the brake pads are worn and new pads
are needed. The sound can come and go or be heard
all the time your vehicle is moving, except when you
are pushing on the brake pedal firmly.

Well I have never heard any high pitch warning sound yet... has anyone else gone this many miles without replacing brakes or has anyone heard the high pitch warning sound they refer to at lower mileage?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If youre handy- and have the tools (especially a torque wrench)- you can remove the rotors and have them turned.
I had mine done on my Trailblazer ($10 per rotor). I bought new pads and put them on.
My front pads were changed out at 77,000 on my Trailblazer- at 154,000- I still have the factory rears.
On my traverse- I expect to get some nice miles on the pads too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
jfullam said:
Ibuilt-in wear indicators that make a high-pitched warning
That warning sound is caused by a metalic piece that rubs against the rotor when it is time for pads (doesn't make any damage worse). They can break off and you won't hear the noise.

Check out the Enclave forum. Many folks there are having brake pad/rotor issues with much less miles. As for your miles, it depends on how they were put on. 64K highway miles isn't going to wear the brakes at 64K city miles would.

·
Registered
396 Posts
+1 with what medic stated; it all depends on how the brakes are used. I applaud you for getting 64K out of them. I would say it's time for a new set

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have done very well, to get over 60,00 miles. I have an 08, and at 22,000 miles the dealer tells me that I new new pads at all four wheels. I went to an indpendent repair shop, and he tells me that I can easily make 30,000 miles. And it is front end only. The dealer told me that I was down to 20 % on the pads.

This is very disappointing. I would get 70,000 miles in the past on a set of brakes. I drive and brake gently to conserve gas and tires, and to extend brake life. One thing against us is the fact the car makers are making brake parts lighter in an attempt to increase fuel milage. Making the brake pads and rotors lighter shortens their life. However, I will spend much more on brake replacement than whatever I may have saved on gasoline. What, instead of getting 2200 miles on 100 gallons of gas, I will get 2210 miles with lighter brakes ?? Does not even compare.

Also remember, that making the rotors lighter makes them more susceptible to heat damage - warping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just had my rotors turned and new pads put on my '08 XE. cost me almost 90 bucks. got my mechanic to do it. sad thing is that i went to the chevy dealer that does my warranty work and they were going to charge me 90 bucks just to inspect them. :banghead: made a big difference and my "baby" drives like the day i bought her, brand new! big difference. and much more cheaper. :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I got my brakes done at Goodyear:
Inspection: $25
Front Pads $170
Rear Pads: $150
Front Rotor resurface $50
(they said I needed to resurface the back rotors but I declined.)
total price with tax and labor was $455. Sounds a bit pricey to me?

·
Registered
754 Posts
sounds pricey to me...

well- like I posted in the 2nd post. I did my own on the trailblazer (fronts)...
to turn a rotor---$10 per rotor= $20.
2 new set of pads= im going to say $50 each(AC DELCO)-- I dont remember the exact price--- so $120 total. Im sure it was less....
But why wouldnt they refund the inspection price?

I can see if you drove in and they inspected and you paid and drove off...
but you gave them buss.

·
Registered
252 Posts
jfullam said:
Well, I got my brakes done at Goodyear:
Inspection: $25
Front Pads $170
Rear Pads: $150
Front Rotor resurface $50
(they said I needed to resurface the back rotors but I declined.)
total price with tax and labor was $455. Sounds a bit pricey to me?
There's a coupon banner that pops up here from GM Goodwrench service. Says $75 or less per axles after mail in rebate......

That was way too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts