Saturn Outlook Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a great deal on a non-running 2009 Saturn Outlook. I found a failed chain tensioner and 2 bent valves. I replaced the head and put a new timing set on but when I bar the engine over it stops at about 1/4 rotation. Can the VVT fail so much as to throw the timing enough for a piston to hit a valve. I've had it apart 3 times and each time it won't bar over a full turn. I used a Haynes manual and a bunch of 3.6 Timing Videos. I've done all this inside the vehicle but I don't know where I'm going wrong. I was once a mechanic earlier in life and I've talked to several who are at a loss as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I don't have an answer for you, only a question. I was just told by the dealer that my timing chain needed to be replaced because of the codes they pulled. Just wanted to know how difficult this was to do with the engine still in the car. And was there any signs that made you replace the timing chain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry I don't have an answer for you, only a question. I was just told by the dealer that my timing chain needed to be replaced because of the codes they pulled. Just wanted to know how difficult this was to do with the engine still in the car. And was there any signs that made you replace the timing chain.
this may help maybe not.i performed a timing chain job on a 2008 outlook 3.6. at about halfway thru job i had to move to new location. so job was put on back burner for 6 months.i recently resumed putting it back together. got first and second chains on then went to rotate crankshaft for final chain install.well crankshaft wouldnt rotate a clockwise to the 9 o clock or so setting.definitly there was obstruction in both directions. so i stripped chains off still obstruction.i was at a loss so i kept on removing engine componets until i had block , crank and pistons. still same problem.i took an inspection camera(borescope) and inspected inside each cyl.as you know its difficult to see back 3 cylinders. anyways come to find about 2 tablespoons of water(condensation)had settled at the side of #1 cylinder long enough to cause rust buildup on cylinder wall stopping piston ring from passing it.little bit of crocus cloth and a good cleaning.this vehicle runs like its new.sorry for spelling hope this might help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts