Saturn Outlook Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Copper,

Yeh, it does reflect easy, mostly interstate miles. Here's a link elsewhere on this forum where I did the math on this:

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=1102.msg6803;topicseen#new

I had changed the oil just before we left for a 3,500 mile round trip to Florida. When we started the trip, I left Trip B to accumulate the total trip, resetting Trip A on each fillup. Found that feature handy to do this. I wanted the dealer to use the PF63 filter but the write up person basically said what was on her would be replaced, even if I wanted to pay for the "upgrade". The more I've read on this new filter, the more I like about it. It boils down to more filter per square inch (and perhaps a better media).

With the new programming on your XR in place that oil life percentage reflects 50 miles to 1% of oil life (595/12). The OLM with this new programming on your type of driving now suggests that allowing the OLM to drive the actual oil change interval means you could theoretically take her down to 1% life and your miles on the oil would be approximately 5,000. Seems to make a lot of sense with these DI motors. Doesn't do much for our environment as well as our back pockets though.

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
COCOA, that's correct but I think I'm going to stick to the good old 3K oil/filter change. More $$ in the long run but possibly less headaches :-\

·
Registered
161 Posts

You're right on about changing every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. That's my plan going forward. The most I've ever gone in the life of this motor is 5,000 miles and that was only once. I had the reprogramming done on her this morning. Since the oil was changed and the OLM was reset yesterday, I'm starting off with 100% life. When I do change the next time, I would expect to see the OLM reading about 40% (based on your short run on the reprogramming. Again, that feature has now become an "Oh, by the way, the OLM read..." as I will change based on the more traditional mileage driven. :thumbs:

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
COCOA,
What do you think about the PF-63 filter? I think it's the same size as the M1 filter ??? I'm surprised that GM did'nt have this filter in the letter we got about the ECM/OLM update, meaning along with the update we recommend that you use a new PF-63 filter. It just makes sense, more filter = better filtering :-\

·
Registered
161 Posts

The next time I'm in a FLAPS, I'm going to compare the PF48 to the PF63. Visually, I understand it's more like a truck filter in size (longer). We'll see. Meanwhile, just do some reading up on its makeup (filter media). For sure, I'm a believer in this "bigger is better" thinking regarding filtering. Shipped off this last oil change to Blackstone yesterday. Fully expect a continuation of "good" numbers on this oil.

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Copper,

Sorry for the confusion, I DRIVE this bad boy! That was, believe it or not 4,000 miles ago...just last month. That Florida trip racked 'em up. Not taking any chances so pulled this oil out at the dealer 2 days ago...got back home, opened my mail and wallah, the official letter from GM to call the dealer for an appointment for reprogramming. Back to the dealer yesterday and had the re-programming done.

:thumbs:

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
COCOATAN09XR said:

The next time I'm in a FLAPS, I'm going to compare the PF48 to the PF63. Visually, I understand it's more like a truck filter in size (longer). We'll see. Meanwhile, just do some reading up on its makeup (filter media). For sure, I'm a believer in this "bigger is better" thinking regarding filtering. Shipped off this last oil change to Blackstone yesterday. Fully expect a continuation of "good" numbers on this oil.

Jim
In God We Trust!
I'm pretty sure that my dealer will have the PF-63, they were jonny-on-the-spot with the dexos (which I've had them put in the past to times) and I keep forgetting to tell copperbeech this but, the dexos was $2.09 more per qt than the bulk oil, they just did'nt charge me enough ::) the 1st time. Back to the filter, I'll ask about the PF-63 and see what they say (both SA seem to be straight shooters) about putting it on my '09.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One Question? Per the Letter...The Dealer will change the calibration of the engine control module " including the engine oil life monitor" ..my question is...what else is changed when they do the reprogram.? its seems they redo a whole program....does this at all effect the transmission reprogram or update?

·
Registered
161 Posts
SurfinWolf,

Don't know about that. All I know is both the ECM and OLM are reprogrammed. Haven't driven her enough to sense a driving difference (really don't expect any). I DID ask the writeup guy if he could have the tech provide me with a printout of exactly what changes the reprogram did...said that's not available. They just do it. He did say that ALL outstanding updates were performed on my '09 based on its VIN.

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
6Sixathome said:
I'm pretty sure that my dealer will have the PF-63, they were jonny-on-the-spot with the dexos (which I've had them put in the past to times) and I keep forgetting to tell copperbeech this but, the dexos was $2.09 more per qt than the bulk oil, they just did'nt charge me enough ::) the 1st time. Back to the filter, I'll ask about the PF-63 and see what they say (both SA seem to be straight shooters) about putting it on my '09.
My service department didn't put in the PF63 but installed the PF48 because they didn't know about the change. Like DUHH! They do now though.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
SurfnWolf said:
One Question? Per the Letter...The Dealer will change the calibration of the engine control module " including the engine oil life monitor" ..my question is...what else is changed when they do the reprogram.? its seems they redo a whole program....does this at all effect the transmission reprogram or update?
The letter pertaining to the ECM which adjusts the OLM does not effect anything else. Just bringing in the distance (miles between oil changes) from when the OLM is to come on telling most of you who follow this that the oil needs changed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sailfish said:
My service department didn't put in the PF63 but installed the PF48 because they didn't know about the change. Like DUHH! They do now though.
How could they not know ??? and I hope they used dexos spec oil on your '11 :help:

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
6Sixathome said:
How could they not know ??? and I hope they used dexos spec oil on your '11 :help:
I took my own oil "Pennzoil Platinum". I tried to find a filter but could not. So I trusted them to install the correct one. The only difference between the two is the size of the container/filter. The PF63 is larger which will permit more oil to be filtered/cleaned. Which will allow the 3.6LDI to go further between oil changes, although I am betting it is no longer than 5000 miles. I did notice that the "next oil change sticker" on the windshield is exactly 3000 miles. The ones the placed on the Outlook the couple times I had them change the oil was 5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sailfish said:
I took my own oil "Pennzoil Platinum". I tried to find a filter but could not. So I trusted them to install the correct one. The only difference between the two is the size of the container/filter. The PF63 is larger which will permit more oil to be filtered/cleaned. Which will allow the 3.6LDI to go further between oil changes, although I am betting it is no longer than 5000 miles. I did notice that the "next oil change sticker" on the windshield is exactly 3000 miles. The ones the placed on the Outlook the couple times I had them change the oil was 5000 miles.
OK good :thumb:. If I had an '11 I still would'nt go past 3K with this DI engine, even with Penz Plat, too many unknowns out there if you ask me :confused:. I wish I would'nt have gone to 5K with M1 those 1st 2 times but I can't go back now and the UOA's were good, maybe a little high on the iron which M1 will give you and the 1 I did with Penz Plat was good. 3 yrs of PT warranty left and then an extended warranty after that so whatever :help: maybe I'll be lucky, maybe not :eek:

Open for thoughts :cheers: :beer: It's one of those days!

·
Registered
54 Posts
6Sixathome said:
OK good :thumb:. If I had an '11 I still would'nt go past 3K with this DI engine, even with Penz Plat, too many unknowns out there if you ask me :confused:. I wish I would'nt have gone to 5K with M1 those 1st 2 times
Open for thoughts
I find it so hard to imagine that even with the rejigged, now conservative OLM that a lowly 5k mile OCI will take the OLM below...say 20% :-\.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009 AWD Outlook. My engine light came on a couple days before I received the timing chain notice from the dealer. The day after the notice I also received a letter from GM about buying an extended warranty. Coincidence??? :) I brought to the dealer and they notified me the timing chain did need to be replaced. That was on Tuesday and just picked the vehicle up today. I had changed my oil every 5000 miles. The vehicle has 32,000 miles on it. The dealer said the cause of the timing chain wear was because the oil change indicator was set to be too long. (agree, since after a few months I projected by first oil change to be around the 18,000 mile mark according to the oil life indicator). However, since I was changing every 5000 miles, that doesn't exactly explain why the timing chain needed to be replaced since I wasn't following the engine oil life indicator. I'm concerned this will happen again and tempted to buy the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
mcatake said:
I have a 2009 AWD Outlook. My engine light came on a couple days before I received the timing chain notice from the dealer. The day after the notice I also received a letter from GM about buying an extended warranty. Coincidence??? :) I brought to the dealer and they notified me the timing chain did need to be replaced. That was on Tuesday and just picked the vehicle up today. I had changed my oil every 5000 miles. The vehicle has 32,000 miles on it. The dealer said the cause of the timing chain wear was because the oil change indicator was set to be too long. (agree, since after a few months I projected by first oil change to be around the 18,000 mile mark according to the oil life indicator). However, since I was changing every 5000 miles, that doesn't exactly explain why the timing chain needed to be replaced since I wasn't following the engine oil life indicator. I'm concerned this will happen again and tempted to buy the extended warranty.
What kind of oil and filter do you use and do you change it yourself? Have you owned it since new? FWIW I'll buy an extended warranty for mine when the time comes. I forgot to ask, what kind of dealer are you going to and did you happen to ask if they had done many timing chain jobs before yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to mislead you - I don't change my own oil. I ask for 5w-30. I'm not sure the oil filter honestly. I used a local Chevy dealer for service. I didn't inquire about previous timing chain experience....when I dropped it off and discussed the engine light issue with they didn't expect to replace the timing chain. They called later that day and said it needed to be done. I am the original owner. I have 3,000 miles to mull over the extended warranty. Since I don't have a plausible explanation as to why the timing chain was worn out I'm really tempted to buy it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '09 Outlook XR, check engine light has been on for a while and low and behold, its the timing chain. This recall didn't come out in time to get mine before the timing chain wore down, so mine was replaced. At least it was for free :thumb:

21 - 40 of 123 Posts