Saturn Outlook Forum banner

41 - 60 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
bcfrost816 said:
I have an '09 Outlook XR, check engine light has been on for a while and low and behold, its the timing chain. This recall didn't come out in time to get mine before the timing chain wore down, so mine was replaced. At least it was for free :thumb:
What are you oil change habbits?, what kind of oil/filter do you use?, what is the build date of your XR (it will be on the drivers door sticker). Oh ya, I'm glad it's fixed for you :thumb:

One more thing, do you have on your paperwork what exactly was replaced and the part #'s?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
bcfrost816 said:
I have an '09 Outlook XR, check engine light has been on for a while and low and behold, its the timing chain. This recall didn't come out in time to get mine before the timing chain wore down, so mine was replaced. At least it was for free :thumb:
Technically this isn't a recall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I have an 09 Outlook and I received the letter to have the OLM reprogrammed. It states that this will prevent the timing chain wear. However, I just received the P0008 engine code that I think is related to the timing chain. Does this mean the timing chain is already worn? The dealer is going to reprogrem the OLM and ECM according to the recall. How will this reprogramming fix the P0008 engine code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
It won't fix the problem that triggered the current code to be sent. And unfortunately, yes, P0008 is one of the popular ones for timing chain issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I had the update done and ever since, the transmission has been shifting like crap! I took the vehicle back and I was told that two other Outlooks experienced the same result because of the update. They scanned the vehicle and reprogrammed the transmission but, it is still not right. They want the transmission guy to look at it, but I doubt there is anything physically wrong with it, the problems started after the recall update was done, it must have done something to the transmission control module, TCM! Has anybody had this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
DeYanko,

I have read the post about what you are experiencing with your Saturn Outlook. I would like to do further research about this. In order for me to do this, I will need additional information. However, I will direct message you with the information that I will need.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
DeYanko said:
I had the update done and ever since, the transmission has been shifting like crap! I took the vehicle back and I was told that two other Outlooks experienced the same result because of the update. They scanned the vehicle and reprogrammed the transmission but, it is still not right. They want the transmission guy to look at it, but I doubt there is anything physically wrong with it, the problems started after the recall update was done, it must have done something to the transmission control module, TCM! Has anybody had this problem?
It's possible during the reflash that the TCM became "messed up"; kinda like if you do an update to Windows and then all it does it crash after the update
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
jjmiller said:
I have an 09 Outlook and I received the letter to have the OLM reprogrammed. It states that this will prevent the timing chain wear. However, I just received the P0008 engine code that I think is related to the timing chain. Does this mean the timing chain is already worn? The dealer is going to reprogrem the OLM and ECM according to the recall. How will this reprogramming fix the P0008 engine code.
Me too.

I'm assuming that the only "fix" is to replace the timing chain correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
jjmiller said:
I have an 09 Outlook and I received the letter to have the OLM reprogrammed. It states that this will prevent the timing chain wear. However, I just received the P0008 engine code that I think is related to the timing chain. Does this mean the timing chain is already worn? The dealer is going to reprogrem the OLM and ECM according to the recall. How will this reprogramming fix the P0008 engine code.
Reprogramming the OLM and ECM isn't going to address the root cause of your P0008 code. It only addresses how quickly the OLM is run down and thus signalling you the owner to change the oil more frequently. Debate surrounds why this re-tuning of the OLM is being done, but current thought is that it's to defray warranty costs by delaying the onset of the problem (i.e. into the non-warranty period where the consumer would be on the hook for paying to fix the problem(s) by replacing the timing chain).

The existing P0008 code would be cleared of course as the OLM/ECM is being updated. This doesn't fix the source of the P0008 code problem, it's only resetting or clearing of the code and managing OLM going forward. A certain duration of time would elapse before the inevitable would occur again (as the timing chain wasn't replaced). Some speculation is that the ECM is reprogrammed as well so the sensitivity or threshold is adjusted such that the code wouldn't be thrown so easily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
First time posting here but I need some help. I recently took my 07 Outlook in to have this recall done. Got it home (only about 3 miles from shop) and it sat for the rest of the day. Next day wife took it to work (20+ miles) and the check engine light comes on again as well as a message saying my Stabilitrak and traction control are out. Never had a problem with this before. First time I went in the guy told me it was just a computer reprogram thing. I went back with this new situation and he said that the recall was just replacing a cover. Now I think he's full of crap (2 different stories) and he's trying to tell me that I have to pay for it. Seems too fishy that my AWD problems happen within 24 hours of my first visit to a Chev dealer to have this done. Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
lightscout said:
First time posting here but I need some help. I recently took my 07 Outlook in to have this recall done. Got it home (only about 3 miles from shop) and it sat for the rest of the day. Next day wife took it to work (20+ miles) and the check engine light comes on again as well as a message saying my Stabilitrak and traction control are out. Never had a problem with this before. First time I went in the guy told me it was just a computer reprogram thing. I went back with this new situation and he said that the recall was just replacing a cover. Now I think he's full of crap (2 different stories) and he's trying to tell me that I have to pay for it. Seems too fishy that my AWD problems happen within 24 hours of my first visit to a Chev dealer to have this done. Any ideas?
So you took your 07 in for the ECM update? Not sure what cover your dealer is talking about, but it definitely sounds like they are trying to "pull a fast one". Might want to find another dealer if possible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Don't see how doing an ECM flash update has anything to do with replacing a cover. Perhaps the SA can provide you with what TSB or recall is being applied in that case? Maybe replacing a cover on the ECM itself... well... that sounds unlikely but is a possibility I guess. Still, sounds a bit weird that you go in for an ECM update and the talk is of replacing a cover? Strange for sure.

Any details on the work order/invoice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Work order just says the oil change I had done and:
Recall #10287...Timing Chain Reprogram
Caused by
V2385 .4
Did Recall -Reprogrammed PCM-

When I took it in after having the recall done to address the traction control errors, the guy at the dealership said it was a crankshaft position code or something causing the malfunctions. Any way them messing with the timing chain reprogram could have caused this? I never had any issues like this before the recall though.

Am I out of my lane thinking this is fishy, that the first time the vehicle is driven more than 5 miles after the reprogram that now I'm getting traction control errors that I've never seen before. Now that I think of it, we drove it that following weekend about 300 mi round trip and it seemed to shift poorly too. Of course, he was quick to point out I didn't have an extended warranty so it would cost me to fix this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
Crankshaft position can definitely cause the warnings to display, but updating the module should not cause this problem to come about. IMO; I think it's bad timing that you had the update done and now the codes are coming up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Help me out, I don't think I get what you are saying. Did messing with the timing in some way cause these new problems or was it something that was going to happen eventually and it is just a coincidence that the new codes popped up a day after the recall was done?

What about this, maybe my timing chain was stretching and on it's way to becoming bad. Could the reprogram have sped up this process? I'm trying to figure out if I have any leg to stand on when I go back to the dealer and fight with them on this. I don't have the extended warranty (I'm at 75k anyway) and don't really feel like paying for this. I'm no expert, but the timing of this incident is a bit too fishy for me.

Thanks for the help everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
lightscout said:
Did messing with the timing in some way cause these new problems or was it something that was going to happen eventually and it is just a coincidence that the new codes popped up a day after the recall was done?
No; I think it was a coincidence

lightscout said:
What about this, maybe my timing chain was stretching and on it's way to becoming bad. Could the reprogram have sped up this process? I'm trying to figure out if I have any leg to stand on when I go back to the dealer and fight with them on this. I don't have the extended warranty (I'm at 75k anyway) and don't really feel like paying for this. I'm no expert, but the timing of this incident is a bit too fishy for me.
Actually; the update is supposed to delay the time when the codes are actually set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
754 Posts
cover? what cover?

ALso- Sailfish- had her stability/traction control lights come on- turns out that was her precursor to her timing chain needing change.

Also- if the CEL has come on- you can take a code reader and capture the freeze frame data- that may tell you some info of what triggered the event.
You may also fins old codes/pending codes.

I use my laptop with OBD II software- and have captures freeze frame data.
it gives data of what caused it. I know Ive seen temp, and I think engine revs at time it was set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
BigTallV said:
Reprogramming the OLM and ECM isn't going to address the root cause of your P0008 code. It only addresses how quickly the OLM is run down and thus signalling you the owner to change the oil more frequently. Debate surrounds why this re-tuning of the OLM is being done, but current thought is that it's to defray warranty costs by delaying the onset of the problem (i.e. into the non-warranty period where the consumer would be on the hook for paying to fix the problem(s) by replacing the timing chain).

The existing P0008 code would be cleared of course as the OLM/ECM is being updated. This doesn't fix the source of the P0008 code problem, it's only resetting or clearing of the code and managing OLM going forward. A certain duration of time would elapse before the inevitable would occur again (as the timing chain wasn't replaced). Some speculation is that the ECM is reprogrammed as well so the sensitivity or threshold is adjusted such that the code wouldn't be thrown so easily.
This was precisely what I was concerned about when I took mine in and the first thing they wanted to do was reprogram the ECM...

But..., the dealer kept the Outlook and put the new timing chain in and all is well..., I hope.

One thing to remember is that, for the most part, the dealers WANT to do the work. If they can see the code, they'll get paid by GM. GM knows there is an issue and can't really fight with the dealer. Voila, work for the service department. Same reason they're all too happy to fix all the recalls.

BTW, My '09 Outlook had this happen at 25,000 miles...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I wanted to share my experience with my Saturn Outlook, MY 2007. We purchased our vehicle in February 2007. We were one of the first customers to buy one. Biggest mistake I ever made was by to buy this vehicle. We have had nothing but problems with it. I have a stack of paperwork from it being in and out of the shop almost 2 inches thick.

Some of our issues have been the following:
Engine stalling for no reason (3 times). After months, they figured out they had to change out the ignition switch.
Oil Leaks (multiple)
Battery died within first year
A/C making a hissing noise and not blowing cold. Advised could not duplicate the issues. Took it to another shop and found out that the Freon was low and not charged as we were told it was.
DTC's not stored when vehicle fails (multiple times)
Stabilitrack, Check Engine and T/C light on. Throttle Body had to be replaced.
The computer has had to be recalibrated numerous times.

And now, my check engine light is on AGAIN and the remote starter won't work. I have heard rumors that with Saturns, if your gas cap does not tighten properly, it will cause the engine light to come on. I hope that is all it is and not the computer. Now I see this Timing Chain Recall and wonder if that is the issue. I haven't received a recall notice yet. I have an appointment this Thursday and will definitely mention it to the tech to look into this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts

And now, my check engine light is on AGAIN and the remote starter won't work


It is normal that the remote start function will not work whenever the check engine light is on. Once the light is reset, your remote start should function properly once again.
 
41 - 60 of 123 Posts
Top