Saturn Outlook Forum banner

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
rbarrios had posted this on the Enclave board and since I was a former 07 Outlook owner PLUS I had the timing chains replaced at 26,000+ miles you, as owners of Outlooks, should be aware of this.

GeoHawk posted this on the Acadia forum..... only 2007's

#11340: Special Coverage Adjustment-Timing Chain Wear - (Feb 16, 2012)

Subject: 11340 – Special Coverage Adjustment — Timing Chain Wear

Models: 2007 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2007 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with 2.8L/3.6L Engine (LP1/LY7)

Condition
On some 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles that are equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7), under certain driving conditions, and with the vehicle’s original oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the timing chain. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after February 17, 2012, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to February 17, 2012, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
Involved are certain 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management System.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Service Procedure
Verify that the timing chain requires replacement. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information in SI.

• If the timing chain does NOT require replacement, no further action is required. Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage.
• If the timing chain requires replacement, refer to the appropriate timing chain replacement procedure in SI.
Courtesy Transportation – For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information
Submit a transaction using the table below.

Labor Code

Description

Labor Time

Net Item

T5853

Diagnostic Time Only – No Repair Required

0.1-0.3

N/A

T5854

Replace Timing Chain

— CTS, STS, SRX

— Acadia, OUTLOOK (FWD) (inc front wheel alignment)

— Acadia, OUTLOOK (AWD) (inc front alignment)

Add: Diagnostic Time

0.1-0.3

* The amount identified in “Net Item” should represent the actual sum total of the current GMCC&A dealer net price for the RTV sealant and refrigerant needed to perform the required repairs, not to exceed $9.64 USD, $17.20 CAD, plus applicable Mark-Up or Landed Cost (for Export).

Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

Recently, you took your vehicle to your dealer to have Customer Satisfaction Program 10287 performed. Your dealer reprogrammed the engine control module to prevent premature wear of the timing chain and the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light. Further analysis has shown that the reprogramming may not fully correct this condition for all vehicles; we, therefore, are providing you with additional protection for the timing chain.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the timing chain. If premature wear of the timing chain occurs on your 2007 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS; GMC Acadia; or Saturn OUTLOOK vehicle, equipped with a V6 engine, within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that the Service Soon Engine light has illuminated due to timing chain wear.

What You Should Do: If you believe that your vehicle's Service Engine Soon light has illuminated due to timing chain wear, repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: If you have paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by July 31, 2013, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, just contact your dealer or the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division

Number

Text Telephones (TTY)

Cadillac

1-800-458-8006

1-800-833-2622

GMC

1-800-462-8782

1-888-889-2438

Saturn

1-800-553-6000

1-800-833-6000

Guam

65-6267-1752

Puerto Rico – English

1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico – Español

1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands

1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Just read a post pertaining to a date change for when the ECM/OLM update is required to be done.
O
On a related note, the campaign to reprogram the OLM is being shortened. Originally, in order to receive the new programming, the work had to be completed by Feb 28, 2013. That date is being changed to May 31, 2012. I have updated the info in the Recall Thread as well. Here's the explanation from GM:

In our previous letter to you, we asked you to have your vehicle serviced by February 28, 2013. We have received new information that indicates the sooner your vehicle receives this new calibration, the more effective it will be.

Because of this new information, we are requesting that you bring your vehicle in for this service as soon as possible but no later than May 31, 2012. This service will be performed for you at no charge.

What You Should Do: To limit any possible inconvenience, we recommend that you contact your dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for this repair. Failure to complete this repair by May 31, 2012, may affect your eligibility for future repair coverage for the timing chain.

And again, this covers the 2007 and 2009 Lambdas, but not the 2008s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My timing chain in my 2007 Outlook (at 103,000 miles) stretched to the point of causing $5,200 worth of damage to my engine at the end of January of this year. The dealership covered all but $600 of the repair and I paid for the rental car for a week. Getting that letter from GM on Friday was delightful. My dealership is already processing the $600 reimbursement and they're "going to see what they can do" about the rental car reimbursement. They had told me that if the repair had been under warranty, they would have covered the rental car, so I am hoping that they'll cover it now.

Between that last repair and a whole new transmission in November I have practically a new engine. I guess I"m keeping the car!

Any idea if they should be covering the rental car?

Thanks!

Lori

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Have no idea what GM will do about the rental. I hope that they would.

So anyway the $5200.00 repair did the timing chain stretch to the point of breaking and damaged the engine? If so yours is the first one I have read where it created this much damage/cost.

Please let us know what work was done on your 07 Outlook's engine.

I had the timing chain replaced in my 07 Outlook at 26,000+ miles but it didn't break.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It did a TON of damage to the engine. I don't have the paperwork with me and I don't know a ton about car engines so I'm going to probably sound VERY non-technical here, but from what they told me, it didn't break completely but stretched to the point of some shaft thing slipping and it's gears being out of sync, they had to replace replaced both heads, the belt of course; and a ton of other things; from what they told me I have a completely new 'top half' of my engine. I hope that makes more sense to you than it does to me and when I get back home next week I can tell you the specifics of exactly what they did. The list of parts they replaced was several pages long.

They had just two months earlier replaced the transmission because something had broken off in the engine and put pieces of metal throughout the system - that was a $4200 repair however I was at 98,000 miles so it was covered under the 100k warranty (including the rental car for the week).

The Stabilitrak light had come on and off for quite a while before all this finally happened. After getting the transmission fixed, the light stayed off for a month and then started coming back on intermittently again. One morning I went to start it and it made a really weird noise and just gave out. Not a loud noise or anything - it honestly sounded like my engine just exhaled and said "can't do this any more". I tried to start it a couple times and it would turn over but not catch, kind of like the battery was dead but not exactly the same.

I wish Saturn hadn't closed down - despite these problems, their willingness to take care of the issues would have me back buying another one. They've basically done what they say is now about 10k worth of work to the engine of my car, for free. They tell me it won't make any difference on what I get for the car if I wanted to trade it in, so with over 100k miles, I guess I should keep it. :)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
My Outlook was at the dealership twice to have the engine dropped and opened up listed below is the work they performed twice and yes thank goodness it was under warranty. Some of this has repair/fix for the sunroof which didn't solve everything and is the main reason we traded it in on the Enclave with no sunroofs.

JUNE 28, 2010 JOB WRITE UP/RESULT (Outlook was dropped off June 23, 2010)

1. ABS controls Inspect check diagnostic codes. Use all available sources to identify failure. Not to be used for brake light, light bulb failure. Stabilink trac light on at times intermittent rain/dry/anytime. Starting or driving. Checked several times elsewhere. CODE P0021 Timing chain stretched Camshaft has excessive end play also. Replace timing chain and add thrust washers and front cylinder head cams
J0820 8.4 A.3 E2000 .7 OLH.6
2. Heated washer unit recall. Heated washer fluid system permanently disabled. Remove module remove fuse wiring to heated module insert owner manual supplement into owners manual. Issued check.

AUGUST 18, 2010 JOB WRITEUP/RESULT (Outlook was dropped off August 4, 2010)
1. Water leak – w/strip sunroof RF under dash and third row RR seat belt harness customer request to drop headliner and replace all hoses. Side top front back all musty odor check for mold and if any hold/fix it. Replaced RF sunroof drain loose at module extension. Refasten properly. Replaced 2 Sunroof seals
2. Additional performance check. Additional engine performance test and adjust engine to specifications. (ie: TPS, TAC and IDLE speeds). TAC and STABILITRAC lights are on and customer feels that engine ran poorly. Hesitation is gone but light is back. P0021 last visit. RESULT: SES ON and P0021 stored. R&R intake and LH cam cover to inspect for excessive cam end play. TAC request we replace LH cam actuator for P0021 and CYL head for excessive cam endplay. Replace LH head and LH cam actuator. JO511 9.6 A .3 E2000 .7 OLH .8

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Sailfish, ah yes, the good ole Outlook… do you miss her?

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
GM Customer Service said:
@Sailfish, ah yes, the good ole Outlook… do you miss her?

I do! Mostly because it would be paid off by now. :sosad: Yet I sure do not miss what I liked to call the "swimming pool on 4 wheels". I really do like the Enclave though, more so each time I drive it.

So Michelle how the heck are you doing? Miss seeing you over on the Enclave board. LOL probably why I am spending more time on this and the Traverse board. ;D

·
Registered
353 Posts
@Sailfish, I am doing well. Loving the warm weather that we are getting that is for sure.

I miss being on the Enclave site too. You know where to find me though. LOL

Did you ever get your seat taken care of on your Enclave?

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
GM Customer Service said:
@Sailfish, I am doing well. Loving the warm weather that we are getting that is for sure.

I miss being on the Enclave site too. You know where to find me though. LOL

Did you ever get your seat taken care of on your Enclave?

Not for the third time yet. Decided to wait until I need another oil change.

As for the weather....totally weird this year, absolutely NO SNOW, okay perhaps an inch a couple times this winter, other than that nothing.

Talk to you later!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 Saturn Outlook , I purchased last year with 120,000 miles on it has been great up until last week when it started idling rough and the check engine light came on.. I took it to a auto repair and he did some checking and said it was the timing chain, But he thought I should take it to a dealership because he read online about a recall... Looong story short I took it too the dealership and they informed me it was the timing chain and it was due to the recall that it went bad but they weren't going to fix it because it now has 140,000 miles on it...I have never received a recall notice and have not had problems with it... There is no mileage set on the recall. I was told GM put an addendum onto the recall recently adding the mileage....How can this be right!!!Have loved my car until now but am definetly nor loving GM...

Well!!! After a month with my car in the shop while GM discussed whether they were going to pay for a new timing chain since it went out due to the recall, I received a call from someone at GM stating "They had good news" They would like to offer me $1000 OFF a new GM car!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!This is your good news....Your bad module caused my timing chain to go out {as reported by your technician} but you don't want to pay the $3000 they are saying to fix it but you will give me a $1000 off a new GM vehicle...Not only will I not take you up on your offer I will not be purchasing another GM vehicle... You have lost a customer for life from me and my Family!!!

I have never seen a company not stand behind their product worse than this!!!

Very unsatisfied customer!!!
Kimberly

·
Registered
21 Posts
:cheers:

had timing programing done and today i got a letter from saturn and they added 10 years 120,000 miles whichever comes first to special coverage program.

very good thing
john

·
Registered
214 Posts
brianandkim8 said:
My 2007 Saturn Outlook , I purchased last year with 120,000 miles on it has been great up until last week when it started idling rough and the check engine light came on.. I took it to a auto repair and he did some checking and said it was the timing chain, But he thought I should take it to a dealership because he read online about a recall... Looong story short I took it too the dealership and they informed me it was the timing chain and it was due to the recall that it went bad but they weren't going to fix it because it now has 140,000 miles on it...I have never received a recall notice and have not had problems with it... There is no mileage set on the recall. I was told GM put an addendum onto the recall recently adding the mileage....How can this be right!!!Have loved my car until now but am definetly nor loving GM...
With the known problem GM has with the timing chains on certain year models, it is a shame you got caught in the middle and are having to pay. The question really is though, how long should GM stand behind the chains?

You are at 140000 miles. Should GM say 200000 miles? Should they say lifetime? (which is what I would favor).

I think GM should at least provide some type of assistance to you or any other owner of these affected models, regardless of miles. In the future when you buy a used car, have a dealer at least run the VIN and check for any possible outstanding recalls and the history of the vehicle.

·
Registered
353 Posts
KC4ZGE said:
:cheers:

had timing programing done and today i got a letter from saturn and they added 10 years 120,000 miles whichever comes first to special coverage program.

very good thing
john
I am glad you have received your letter about the special coverage for the timing chains.

I hope you have a great weekend and don't hesitate to contact me in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 07 Outlook has almost 109k miles.
My timing chain was replaced a year ago or more....due to problems in shifting. The replacement was followed by all the reprogramming too.
Just received the letter that the reprogram wasn't enough to correct it, and they are extending coverage for timing chain to 120k (I think that was the number).
I have noticed intermittent slipping when the car shifts....sometimes going uphill it revs high....other times it boggs down.

Am I eligible to get a new timing chain since they know that the one I already received is not completely corrected - EVEN THOUGH my check engine light is not on?

·
Registered
252 Posts
This issue you are describing doesn't sound like a timing chain, rather an issue with the transmission.

Search the forums for "wave plate" and you will find more info.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You will want to contact the General Motors dealership's service departments to have them diagnose your concern and they will then provide you with the information of what needs to be repaired. At that time, you can talk with the about warranty and costs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On Tuesday I took my Outlook in for an oil change at the dealer, mostly because I wanted the dealer to inspect the car one more time before the warranty ran out. I was lucky I did because they found the timing chain cover gasket was leaking. According to the dealer, it had just started to leak. The oil was still in the hash-mark area of the dip-stick.

The gasket replacement is covered under warranty, which is nice. I asked the dealer if they would replace the timing chain while they had it apart. He chuckled and (very diplomatically) said they will check to be sure its not showing any signs of wear, and they would replace it if it was out of spec.

I got a free car rental (11 Malibu with the 3.6. Vrooom Vroom), and was told I would have it back by tomorrow afternoon. Yesterday I got a call from the dealer receptionist saying that the car will not be ready for another day. I asked her the reason for the delay, and she said they didn't get the parts received in time to complete it on schedule, but she didn't know what those parts were. Maybe the timing chain??? A big part of me hopes so. I don't want to have an issue at 100,001 miles that I have to pay out of my pocket.

I must say though, I've always been impressed with my dealer. They are always as helpful as the GM lawyers allow them to be.

·
Registered
353 Posts
@bigblumer, have you been able to get your Outlook today? Would you like me to forward on a compliment to the dealership?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help. We bought our 2007 Outlook in Sept. 2010. I LOVE this car, but it is beginning to fall apart! History:

July 2011 - Transmission was rebuilt under warranty - took to a dealer, they sent it to Aamco,
Vehicle had over 70,000 miles on it. I think this is when I was told me there was also an open recall on it for the oil change timing and they fixed it. They had it over 2 weeks, but got it back in time for vacation.

January 2013 - at 102,000 miles, transmission acts up again, major slipping. We had put less than 30,000 miles on it since it was rebuilt, took to dealer, had trouble at first, but GM got involved, said it was probably the wave plate, there was a bulletin about that, they ended up covering it for $100 even though I was a minute out of warranty. WHEW! (this time dealer did it in house, still took over 2 weeks)

January 2013 - day after I pick it up from transmission, put 50 miles on it, check engine light comes on. I drive by dealer on way home - code said timing - but they reset it, they said, it wasn't flashing (the light) so it is okay. It has come on and off a few times since then.

March 29, 2013 - driving home, vehicle pulls out in front of me, brakes go to the floor, twice, then start working again, but then back left is squealing like crazy. Drove the 4 miles home, parked it. (husband replaced rear brakes and rotors on March 31)

April 2, 2013 - drove to work, all is good. Get in after work, Stabilitrak and traction control service messages displaying. It feels like 4WD going in and out. Drive 1 mile to store, when I turn it back on, no message, I turn off traction control. At stop light, car dies. it starts fine, I drive 30 miles home.

(Since I've owned it, I have put 3 sets of front tires (newest set on March 27th, 2013) on it because they wear on the inside only - tire guy says to replace struts and it shoudl be better, appt set for April 3)

April 2 pm - get back in car to take to tire guy, BARELY made it the two blocks to the shop.Felt like it isn't getting any power - it would just surge and stop, surge and stop. UGH!! When I turned it off and took the key out - it shook a little (that sounds like timing, had a Chevette back in the day that did that, embarassing on campus).

I see all of these posts about the OLM affecting the timing - is that what is happening here since the recall fix wasn't done until 70,000 miles? Could it be something in the Stabilitrak safety since hubby had tires off this weekend? (they took the front off too to see if it needed front brakes, but it didn't).

Help!!

81 - 100 of 123 Posts