Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think the local Saturn dealers (Phx, AZ.) will give me for my 02 Yukon 4x4 that is in great shape and only 36000 miles. It is loaded. Without going into a long list of options it had an msrp of $40k. According to Kelly Blue Book I should get about $17k on a trade in with the options I have on it. Somehow I don't think a Saturn dealer will give me $17k for my Yukon off the sticker of an Outlook. Has anybody traded an SUV for the Outlook and did you get what you consider a "good deal"?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Trade values are rarely great, and no one here is going to be an expert on your trade.

Another kicker right now, of all things, is that SUV values are the lowest of all, because of gas, etc. and people trending more towards smaller and lighter.

If you want the most realistic figure, go here and post:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9c851

We had an '02 Avalanche before and traded that for an '04 Suburban back in 2004. The Avalanche had 33k on it, and in flawless shape, we got $21k on trade--EXACTLY the Edmunds.com Excellent value. Then a couple of weeks ago, at the same dealer and same salesperson, we traded the Suburban with 56k on it for a new '08 Malibu. Edmunds here was $14,750 and KBB at $15,900. In the same condition as the Avalanche, we got $11k for it. Really low, but back in November we had 2 dealer back to back offer $12k, so it wasn't unexpected.

This was based all on auction and other similar used Suburban prices right now, plus wanting to put a new set of tires on for around $500. They put the Suburban on the lot for more, of course, but I know will end up selling it for $2-2.5k over what they gave us at most. Disappointing, but got a fantastic deal on the new car, the dealer is great, and realistically I knew it wasn't going to go any higher.

So...in my best guess, I'm going to say expect $13-14k for it. Low miles and great shape help, but when the same vehicle can still be had in great supply at auction, other dealers, etc. and isn't a huge hot seller in the market as it is, top KBB value is not it.

Still, go to a dealer and see, and bargain (the Outlook really isn't selling that well, and some people have actually gotten the "un-Saturn" dealer discounts and such on some new ones), and see what they offer. Also, to help yourself understand, try out the Edmunds link above and see what the many used car manager's there say for it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in New Jersey and I had to go to 3 different dealerships to get one to give me blue book value for my trade (which was only $4K). One offered $3K and the other $2K. I finally had to play there game and "fib" a little to the 3rd dealer. I told him the other dealer did not have my color but you do and I will buy from you if you give me KBB value for my trade like the other dealer offered. He accepted. I bought!
I dont feel bad because when I went back to the dealership a week later he had my trade for sale "as-is" asking $7K!!! eventhough he moaned about giving me the book value of only $4K. I guess it comes down to greed.
Key1

·
Registered
59 Posts
key1cc said:
I'm in New Jersey and I had to go to 3 different dealerships to get one to give me blue book value for my trade (which was only $4K). One offered $3K and the other $2K. I finally had to play there game and "fib" a little to the 3rd dealer. I told him the other dealer did not have my color but you do and I will buy from you if you give me KBB value for my trade like the other dealer offered. He accepted. I bought!
I dont feel bad because when I went back to the dealership a week later he had my trade for sale "as-is" asking $7K!!! eventhough he moaned about giving me the book value of only $4K. I guess it comes down to greed.
Key1
Well, the other thing to consider is reconditioning, advertising costs, etc., etc. and also the fact that someone walking on the lot to buy your old car definitely isn't going to pay what's on the window. So, they leave room for bargaining.

Of course, I'm still a little shocked at what we got for our Suburban and now how much it is advertised for...but that's old news. You'll rarely get KBB values anywhere (always high) unless they really want your car, etc. OR are like Saturn dealers and have a lot of wiggle room as it is without discounting the new vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sell it yourself... clean it from top to bottom, take the time, advertise it online and in the newspaper. I bet it sells in 2 weeks. Our dealer offered us about 10K for our trade... I am closing the deal for $14,250 today selling it myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well now that gas prices have gone through the roof and we all know will only go higher, my 02 beautiful Yukon is probably becoming worth less and less on a trade for an 09 Outlook. We really would like to get an 09 Outlook, but unless anybody tells me different, I probably will have to sell it myself to get at least $13k (it's spotless and only has about 39,000 on it). It's not too big a deal, since I sold the 23' travel trailer we used to tow with the Yukon. Oh well, looking forward to seeing the 09s and then seeing what a dealer will tell me in the fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts