Saturn Outlook Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
stammalammy said:
I just got a letter in the mail for my 08 Outlook. Has anyone gotten this update yet? Notice any difference? Think MPG will go up or down?

I figure I will take the update either way, but would hate for my MPG to go down.
Everyone seems to be reacting very positively, saying it's a very noticeable improvement, and there's no effect on mileage, just as with the other reprograms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey All,

Just got my Oil change (19.99) and also a couple of campaigns taken care of

campaign- 07147 Propeller shaft bolt replaced
campaign-07217 Tranny software update and calibration. (PCM recalibration)

I am feeling the difference while driving back home. I guess it was an actual good update...drives better via hills and out of first...

Now is the tranny update and PCM calibration just for the tranny, or does the software update/ pcm calibration help other stuff like the outside temp indicator?

·
Registered
9 Posts
SilverXR said:
Hey All,

Just got my Oil change (19.99) and also a couple of campaigns taken care of

campaign- 07147 Propeller shaft bolt replaced
campaign-07217 Tranny software update and calibration. (PCM recalibration)

I am feeling the difference while driving back home. I guess it was an actual good update...drives better via hills and out of first...

Now is the tranny update and PCM calibration just for the tranny, or does the software update/ pcm calibration help other stuff like the outside temp indicator?
The update only improves the transmission.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm scheduled to get my Trans flashed this Monday on my '08 Outlook XR (built in July'07)
I told the service manager that I suspect I need an ECM and TCM flash from what I've seen on internet forums. He indicated that his records show that my vehicle only requires a TCM flash because it is an '08 and only the '07's needed both. Anybody have any insight here?
Key1

·
Registered
9 Posts
key1cc said:
I'm scheduled to get my Trans flashed this Monday on my '08 Outlook XR (built in July'07)
I told the service manager that I suspect I need an ECM and TCM flash from what I've seen on internet forums. He indicated that his records show that my vehicle only requires a TCM flash because it is an '08 and only the '07's needed both. Anybody have any insight here?
Key1
Both the TCM and the ECM need to be flashed regardless of MY07 or MY08. The dealer is supposed to be able to flash both modules at the same time with only one flash.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently purchased (about 2 weeks ago) a 2008 Outlook XE (manufactured 09/07). I am assuming I have the tranny update based on this thread. I also entered my VIN # on the site mentioned in this thread and there did not seem to be a controller option for TCM or ECM (though there were others) for my vehicle listed.
With my Outlook, my only concern is a "clunking" noise that happens every time I accelerate after starting the vehicle. It just happens once with each drive, but it is consistent and I can feel it on my foot as I depress the gas pedal.
Other than that, I am happy with it. Overall MPG seems OK, with 1200 miles on it already, I seem to be getting about 21 MPG on the highway (maybe about 14 local), which I expect to improve even further after my first oil change and as I exceed 5000 miles.
Has anyone else experienced this "clunking" sound?

·
Registered
87 Posts
The clunking cound is the ABS (brakes) system performing a self test. Completely normal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife have about 6000 miles on our Outlook..We absolutely love our SUV..The only fault I had with my car was the way the tranny felt..It almost felt like sometimes I had mud on my tires...Wierd shifting patterns..like it wasnt sure when to shift.. especialy when going uphill it would go from 2500 RPM to like 8000 and feel like the engine was gonna blow..I got a flyer in the mail this month saying the Saturn Had a NEW engine and trany software update..I took it in and WOW it is a different machine..I cant tell you enough how much difference I can feel in the overall performance not to mention the better fuel economy now... It shifts so much smoother.

·
Registered
34 Posts
scotted73 said:
The clunking cound is the ABS (brakes) system performing a self test. Completely normal.
If this is considered normal ABS operation, I would assume everyone else who has an Outlook is experiencing the same clunking sound? If any other Outlook owners would like to confirm this, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I never heard a peep out of my ABS other than a nice smooth idle.......

·
Registered
69 Posts
page 4-4 in the owners manual explains that the ABS clicking and break pedal movement is normal. Personally, I have never noticed it in my '08 XR (before or after my trans update)....but the book says it is normal.
Key1

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 07 XR with all the options. Bought it a 6 weeks ago and have 1600 miles on it. Mine gives one clunk a few seconds after I start the car, no correllation with the gas pedal though. I figure something mechanical was being engaged and since it was consistent and not sporatic, I wasn't really concerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regarding the ECM/TCM update, they just did my ECM at my first oil change. Afterwards, my odometer racked up over 3 miles for every mile. They did the ECM and TCM together at my next visit and now it's back to calculating normally. If they do one and not the other, I'd keep a close eye on your odometer. My service tech said the error was caused by doing one update and not the other. I'm guessing they have either fixed this issue, or are always doing both updates together.

Regarding the knocking sound, I'm getting it as well -- within a block or two of leaving my driveway. I was thinking it had to do with the door locks automatically locking at a certain speed or after a certain amount of time like my jeep used to do. But I'm not so sure since I think that happens the Outlook when it's taken out of park.

·
Registered
44 Posts
jfullam said:
Has anyone else experienced this "clunking" sound?
We have also experienced the same clunk and was about to start a new threat to find out info on this before we when an hour away to the dealer to have them check it. Our outlook has a build date of 10/07 so same time frame and model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my 2007 XR in July and have the following problems:
1. warm air comes out from the left center air vent (driver side) when the temperature reaches the desired temperature setting while the other three vents work just fine.
2. after software update three weeks ago, I have experienced several times of transmission disengage, I am not sure this is the right term to describe it, which feels like gear being skipped and creates a huge vibration.

As for the AC problem. I brought it to the dealer and they can not find the problem and they don't seem to have the right tool to diagnose it either. I don't expect the dealer will find the problem for the transmission either. This is my very first domestic car, I have been driving Toyota/Lexus and Nissan, and very disappointed with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2007 Outlook has had the transmission update. We took our Outlook on it's first long road trip from Northern Kentucky to Florida recently and I must say that the transmission spends a lot of time downshifting when using the cruise control. The downshifting occured even on slight grades. On hills it may shift back and forth three of four times. The riding comfort level was excellent! But I expected better fule economy than 19 MPG on the highway.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts