Saturn Outlook Forum banner

Transmission Behavior

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  GM Customer Service 
#1 ·
I've noticed some odd behavior with the way this thing shifts and I'm not sure if it's a problem or just the way it is.

1 - Early downshifting

The transmission seems to want to down shift too early, so that I can feel a slight bit of engine braking when coasting. Sometimes I can feel the downshift. It doesn't seem to coast very well as a result, feels like there's always a drag like a manual transmission car. I would tink it would adversely effect MPG.

2 - 'Waffling' When Downshifting Under Hard Acceleration

On a 2 lane road, if I get out to pass and floor it at say 50-55 MPH, it'll shift down and it seems to not quite know what gear it wants. Hard to explain, but it's kind of a wobble or jiggle or something as it settles into gear. I've also had situations where I started to punch it to pass, but then decided I didn't have time so I backed off. Then, it'll rev like it's going to or did downshift, but there's no acceleration it's just revving. Then it shifts back and everythign seems fine, but that moment when it's making a lot of noise but nothing happens feels rather odd. Unsettling to say the least.

3 - Dead Zone

Around 60-65 MPH or so, it feels quite hesitant. If I want to accelerate gradually to pick up a few MPH, it feels as though nothing happens as I push the accelerator, like it's out of oomph. As I push it a little farther and farther, it will eventually go, but not until dropping into 5th or maybe 4th and accelerating much more than needed. It seems there's a bit of a dead zone where you can't get just a bit more speed.

None of these things feel like obvious defects or failures, they are all rather subtle actually, more like a design that wasn't thoroughly sorted. I'm not sure if this is characteristic of the vehicle or a sign of something wrong.

I had transmission issues in my 1988 Caravan as well as in my 1999 Honda Odyssey. I always thought that transmissions were the one thing that GM always did well, even when it was building some pretty crappy cars. I really don't want to feel like I'm waiting for this one to fail. :-\

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I saw some threads on that, but they mostly seemed older and seemed to apply to 2008's and 2007's. The symptoms didn't seem to match either.

#4 ·
early downshifting seems to be normal. especially when traveling on the street.
Many say they would prefer it not do that and coast..
But I think the engineers did that to keep the vehicle in the powerband.

Need some passing power right away- on the highway- especially if youre in 6th gear cruising along? Shift to L- and this automatically puts you in 4th- plenty of passing power there- and high RPMs
If youre on the highway--- and you notice some downshifting while going downhill- shift to L and select 6. this 'turns off' the hill descent feature.

#5 ·
Salguod,

I have read through your post. If the transmission on your 2010 Outlook is not performing to your standards and you feel that there is something more going on than normal, I would go with your gutts and get in to have it diagnosed.

Even though, I am not a tech, I do agree with talking to the dealership about a possible reflash or something along the lines that other members have suggested about that.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

#7 ·
ekmsmac08 said:
I have an Outlook XR 2009 that also seems to have some of the aforementioned issues. My dealer performed warranty service by cleaning all the carbon buildup from the cylinders and valves. No more engine misfires, but still a bit of shifting hesitance.
Did the dealer give you a TSB# on your paperwork for this cleaning?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.