Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this is another transmission thread. I searched and searched and did not come up with any possible solutions similar to mine.

We have a 2008 Outlook. We purchased it used in 2011. It has about 100,000 miles on it now. So we are out of warranty range and don't have a dealer to run back to.

The transmission has about a 1/2 to 1 second delay when you shift it from park to drive before it engages. This has been going on for about 2 months. It also started to shift harshly at around 70mph. The harsh shifting started 1 week ago.

I checked the fluid level and it is full. Has anyone had any similar problems?? We live in a small town and there is not a GM dealer just down the road. A GM dealer is over an hour away. Do you think we need a new transmission? Should I run it down to the local garage?

Any help would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2007- early 2009 model GM Lambdas have a 3-5-R wave plate issue; it was corrected for model year 2010. Basically the plates weren't hardened properly, so they get brittle and crack. Once the 3-5-R wave plate breaks, it gets all over in the transmission leading to an expensive (~$3,500) repair. Your model year is prone to this issue. It's not a matter of if, it's when. I would get this looked at ASAP; if it hasn't broken yet your repair costs would be cheaper. It just depends on the extend of the damage.

Here are some options if you want to fix the transmission:

• Just get the transmission rebuilt. You probably won't get more than a 1 year warranty. An independent shop might be cheaper than the dealer, but the dealer would know the vehicle best.
  • Replace the transmission with a GM Certified Remanufactured transmission. It would most likely come with a 3 year warranty, use all updated parts, and probably not be much more expensive than rebuilding the transmission.
  • Get a 2011+ used transmission from a wreck, and swap the valve body and solenoid pack with those from your 2008. Check out this thread: http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=11473a64864e61fbee760e1677206925&topic=11864.msg248697;topicseen#new. A used transmission from a wreck would be the cheapest option.
Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts