Saturn Outlook Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and thanks for putting together such an informative forum.

I have owned a 2007 AWD Outlook with 19" wheels since May of 2007 and have been very happy with it - except for the transmission shifting woes shared by many others here. I did have the May 2008 update installed and found that it made a huge improvement to the shifting behavior. But, it was not perfect and still sometimes required excessive pedal and occasionally will still double downshift in certain circumstances (I believe).

I recently was on vacation and drove a 2009 Outlook as a rental and found the shifting to be very good - or at least nothing unusual showed up during the week I had the car. However, it was FWD and had the 18" wheels so I cannot make direct comparison.

Does anyone know if there were signficant programming changes to the 2009 transmissions as compared to the 2008 or 2007s models?

Or, is it possible that different wheel sizes or the presence of AWD might make shifting abnormalities more enhanced?

Finally, for what it may be worth to others, I have found that a quick "blip" of the throttle will induce a downshift when the transmission is otherwise reluctant to do so - without inducing high acceleration that might cause problems on slippery roads.

Thanks again for your thoughts on my questions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ken G said:
Hi all and thanks for putting together such an informative forum.

I have owned a 2007 AWD Outlook with 19" wheels since May of 2007 and have been very happy with it - except for the transmission shifting woes shared by many others here. I did have the May 2008 update installed and found that it made a huge improvement to the shifting behavior. But, it was not perfect and still sometimes required excessive pedal and occasionally will still double downshift in certain circumstances (I believe).

I recently was on vacation and drove a 2009 Outlook as a rental and found the shifting to be very good - or at least nothing unusual showed up during the week I had the car. However, it was FWD and had the 18" wheels so I cannot make direct comparison.

Does anyone know if there were signficant programming changes to the 2009 transmissions as compared to the 2008 or 2007s models?

Or, is it possible that different wheel sizes or the presence of AWD might make shifting abnormalities more enhanced?

Finally, for what it may be worth to others, I have found that a quick "blip" of the throttle will induce a downshift when the transmission is otherwise reluctant to do so - without inducing high acceleration that might cause problems on slippery roads.

Thanks again for your thoughts on my questions.
My guess would be that it is the difference in the engines.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I dont have an 09--- but I do have a 2010 Traverse-- and all the complaints about the weird shifts in the early models-- well I dont have them.
Yes- it shifts differently than a 4 speed-- but even on hills- I dont find no weird operation.

·
Registered
161 Posts
KenG,

I've got an '09 FWD XR (built 9/23/08...purchased 7/28/09) with the standard 18's. At delivery mine was not trans reflashed. I've got roughly 3,600 miles on her and the trans shifts flawlessly. I do have a tendency to see how smooth I can make the upshifts. Those instances where I need to get around traffic, she's responsive and shifts down 1 or 2 gears as needed. No issues from the tranny. Think they (the factory) have sorted it out by now.

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well Guys ,
I had to take my 09 Outlook into the Dealer for a recall with the shifter
linkage it only has 3100 miles on it ,while it was in there I had them go ahead and do the latest
ECM / TCM software update Flash on the Transmission and WOW!
what a difference!
It was ok before, but if you get this done you
will be very impressed at the acceleration and performance of it. ;D ;D
It utilizes the actual horsepower the engine has and gives it a real
kick in the butt! by holding the shifting points longer.

From a dead stop at full pedal acceleration it
was shifting into 6th gear at 95 mph, and I had the vehicle up to
80 mph in two blinks! It holds onto the shifts a bit longer and really
gives it a power kick. Only problem with this is, it is so fun to drive this way
you will be into the pedal more often. So gas mileage will be what you make it! ;D
If you have not had this done you owe it to yourself to get it done, it is free
and they can always change it back!
Regards Big O

·
Registered
201 Posts
Big Red O,

When was your vehicle built? I've been contemplating having mine done, though admittedly the existing trans shifting isn't of any bother to me, the odd quirk perhaps but nothing really too much. Mine is a 2009 model year built in Sept '08.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Big TallV
My Outlook was manufactured December of 2008,
which is the date on the door sticker. Have not
been able to check gas mileage yet (too soon).
But will find out on the next fill up.
Regards Big O ;D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
What is the TSB # for the flash? Mine is in the shop getting the torque converter hub seal replaced right now @10K on it :banghead:. They have to pull the trans to do this. I may have them flash it while they are working on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sixathome,
The Number flash you want is # 08-07-30-022A
This should give you good performance with minimal
hesitation. :) Regards Big O

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Big Red O said:
Sixathome,
The Number flash you want is # 08-07-30-022A
This should give you good performance with minimal
hesitation. :) Regards Big O
Thanks O :thumb:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Big Red O said:
Big TallV
My Outlook was manufactured December of 2008,
which is the date on the door sticker. Have not
been able to check gas mileage yet (too soon).
But will find out on the next fill up.
Regards Big O ;D
Thx!

Regards,
/BTV

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I gave my service advisor the TCM flash # and he said that it was for 07-08 model years that had a flat spot between 35 and 50 MPH and the 09's did not need it and were already updated :confused:.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Six,
I dpnt know what to tell you. Maybe they just dont want to bother with it, but I was given a reciept
with the work done including recalls and the alotted time put on the reciept was pretty much the time
I waited for the vehicle. They must have done something to mine because there was a definite noticable
difference.
Regards Big O

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I dont either, I think it shifts fine. I had it done to the 07' that I had and it was a huge improvment. The 2010 ACADIA loner that I just had shifted rough 2nd to 3rd, just kind of jolted I think it might need a TCM flash. I'm just glad that the leak is fixed :clap: :banana:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts